Whatcha playin? (Video games wise.)

Deckard97

I've been playing a lot of games recently. About a week ago I finished Fate of Atlantis (wits path) and I'm probably going to start again with a different path soon. I've been trying to play The Infernal Machine some but I'm currently stuck at the start of level 3 :( The past few days though I've been playing The Sims 1&2 and Tron 2.0 :)

IndyBuff

I'm not big on mobile games but I've been playing Futurama: Worlds of Tomorrow and so far I'm enjoying it. It's a nice distraction and a huge fan of the series it's nice to see the characters come back again.:)

IndyBuff said:
I recently finished Rise of the Tomb Raider (which was excellent) and now I'm in the process of going through the Metal Gear Solid series. It's a franchise I've never given much of a chance but so far I'm enjoying it.:)

To me, MGS always had a bit of an Indy touch too it. Especially the third one with hornets and caves.

Goodsport

According to this official Battlefield 1 tweet, both the Prise de Tahure map and the new monthly update will be coming tomorrow (Thursday, July 20th). :)

-G

IndyBuff

Goodsport said:
According to this official Battlefield 1 tweet, both the Prise de Tahure map and the new monthly update will be coming tomorrow (Thursday, July 20th). :)

-G

I've never played Battlefield but I've heard great things and I enjoyed Star Wars Battlefront quite a bit. I may give this a shot and see what all the fuss is about.

Goodsport

IndyBuff said:
I've never played Battlefield but I've heard great things and I enjoyed Star Wars Battlefront quite a bit. I may give this a shot and see what all the fuss is about.
Sounds good. :) While the main draw of the series has been its multiplayer, its single player stuff has always been pretty fun too, from its single player maps (included in the series prior to Battlefield 3) to its single player campaigns (included in Battlefield 3 and later games in the series).

And don't be thrown off by the title of the latest Battlefield game (Battlefield 1), as the "1" in the title refers to its World War 1 theme rather than it being the first game in the series. All the previous Battlefield titles are more self-evident.

Also, if you enjoyed the first Star Wars Battlefront, then you'll likely really enjoy the upcoming Star Wars Battlefront II which, besides having improved gameplay and such, also (unlike the first one) includes a single player campaign:

And lastly, the Prise de Tahure map is now available in Battlefield 1. :cool:

-G

Last edited:

IndyBuff

Cool beans! I'm looking forward to Battlefront II and so far it looks like they're adding everything fans wanted.

Running through Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour. There's an Easter Egg of an unfortunately dead Indiana Jones in a cave in the Hotel Hell level. This is followed by Duke saying "We meet again Dr. Jones."

Le Saboteur

Le Saboteur said:
From all the way back on Page 8...

Yeah, it did. And you played it. (For, like, an hour!) Something else must have caught your attention, because it sat around for, like, four years before you bothered to give it an honest shake.

Played what? This:

I've been picking through my backlog and popped it in the other day after beating it about three years back. As previously mentioned dynamiting Nazi armor and equipment is most satisfactory, and since I was only a couple of trophies away from acquiring the platinum I decided to give it a spin.

The central mechanic remains a joy -- planting dynamite on the side of a tank and walking away before it blows up never gets old. Same goes for AA guns and observation towers. Unfortunately a lot of those things that need to get blowed up real good are on the roofs of Paris' many buildings (they did a good job recreating the city), but there's a lot of jank when transitioning to the rooftops.

For example, Sean can shimmy up a drainpipe with ease; if that drainpipe, however, curves at the last second, you're stuck. Instead of just reaching up and hoisting himself over, Sean has to jump from the pipe to the edge of the roof and only then pull himself up. There's a similar problem when climbing down: Sean will willing step over the edge and subsequently grab the edge to prevent falling. Normally this would be a welcome addition, but on more than one occasion he would spot weld to the wall on a five foot drop, then immediately pull himself up, but would happily leap to his death from a couple hundred feet up.

Annoying. But once you got to the rooftop in question? It would often feature dozens of different slopes and angles and flat surfaces that only had the barest of connections to any school of architecture. Doubly annoying.

That aside, I think my original score of 7/10 is fair. Maybe a 7.5 if I'm feeling generous, but that jank and the overall lack of polish drag down what is an otherwise very entertaining game and concept. It's just too bad that EA shuttered Pandemic so we'll never see another one.

I've also been puttering around with DuckTales Remastered and Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time. While DuckTales remains a classic, Sly Cooper seems to have devolved into a collection of mini games wrapped up in an interesting concept.

Now that The Saboteur has been put to bed though, I think I'm going to tool around L.A. Noire again. I'm also only a couple of trophies away from the platinum (mostly collectibles), and I want to try the arson desk since it was my worst performance. This is also another series that will probably never again see the light of day.

Beyond that, August brings about the end of my gaming purchases for the year. In addition to Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, I have Yakuza Kiwami, Shadow Tactics, and The Sexy Brutale.

Of all the games coming up this one looks to be the most intriguing. Sounds like a neo-gothic game of Clue so far!

Kai Hagen said:
I'm watching people play RE7.

This is one of those things that are best described as "The Most Millennial Thing Ever."

IndyBuff

Le Saboteur said:
Played what? This:

Now that The Saboteur has been put to bed though, I think I'm going to tool around L.A. Noire again. I'm also only a couple of trophies away from the platinum (mostly collectibles), and I want to try the arson desk since it was my worst performance. This is also another series that will probably never again see the light of day.

I adored L.A. Noire and I think it's one of the best games of the last generation. It's a shame we'll never get a sequel.

DaFedora

(Finally) playing Mad Max, along with Sniper Elite III (Africa), the latter seems to have become a bit more tricky since I finished Sniper Elite V2...

I like the Mad Max game this far, but hope for some cool rare items to collect and cars to upgrade :)
Cannot help but love the beauty of the desolate post-apocalyptic scenery... except for when a hurricane + lightning storm rushes in ;)
I would have preferred though if Max could upgrade the shotgun further and have a broader weapons inventory to keep items in, like improvised DIY grenades, Molotov cocktails (instead of the fuel jerrycans that you need for refueling the Magnum Opus, explode certain doors, or operate balloons for). I'd really dig a high-velocity nail gun or explosive dart launcher... as those things you can actually build together from scavenged parts in Fallout 4 :)

Le Saboteur

IndyBuff said:
I adored L.A. Noire and I think it's one of the best games of the last generation. It's a shame we'll never get a sequel.

I'm not yet of the opinion that we'll never see another entry into the... series (but it can't be a series if there's only one!). There was a rumor of a full-remaster of the game for current hardware just a few days back, but take that with a pinch of salt. The things I am optimistic on:

Executives have referenced the importance of the series to their future;
Despite the success of GTA Online, fans will want to see Rockstar do something else; even if it is only tangentially different in L.A. Noire's case.

So, maybe. But if we never do I'm happy with what we got. Though, this new idea as games as services could fit a potential sequel.

Finn said:
Now here's something we will definitely compare notes on.

It may take a while. I gave the opening level the once over and put it away. I need to get some of these twitchy action games out of the way, so I can approach it properly. So far the inclusion of a full Japanese-voice cast is a major plus, and it looks like it might fill that void Commandos left all those years ago.

Finn said:
Interestingly, for once I actually feel this point a detriment, at least towards those who already have acquired the base game.

While I'm usually a sucker for all additional content when it comes to extra content for games that hit my buttons (I'm especially looking at you, BioWare), the bits provided for Sleeping Dogs didn't quite do it for me. While some were fun, they didn't really add to the main game. Some outfits did provide fun bonuses, but I just couldn't take the game's narrative seriously watching Wei show up in a triad meeting dressed in some gaudy piece of eastern cinema cosplay. And when some actual additional story content was provided, like the Year of the Dragon, the production values were noticeably lower compared to the main game.

tumblr_nha2ji1Ato1r7sijxo1_500.gif

Sleeping Dogs is five years old today.

I don't double dip, so I don't go in for remasters if I already have the original. That said, I did pick up the Definitive Edition of Sleeping Dogs... oh, a while ago. Played through it again, beat it, and platinum-ed it again as well. The story didn't have the same impact the second go 'round, but I did finally get to play the Year of the Snake & Nightmare in Northpoint add-ons. I'm glad I didn't spring for them the first time around though.

Like the Zodiac Island Tournament (which just kind of ended), Nightmare and Year of the Snake are way too short. Both are fun, but definitely lack the polish of the main campaign. Year of the Snake, for example, could have been really, really good but it felt rushed instead. The missions were either uninspired or lifted from other missions; i.e., drive a booby trapped car into Victoria Harbor to prevent casualties.

Northpoint gets a lot of credit for trying to do something different with the overcrowded vampire/zombie/supernatural category by delving into Chinese lore, but it's also too short and amounts to little more than fetch quests and then punching (& stabbing!) demons and hopping vampires. The graphical effects and flourishes are pretty nifty though.

Both are fun though and worth playing, but I would have been miffed paying full price for them at original release. At the end of the day, both additions made me think about movies I would have rather been watching. Like this one or this one.

It's also worth noting that the really wild costumes (Sun Wu Kong, Bronze Man, Georges St. Pierre, etc.) are locked behind a... pay wall of sorts. You can get them from one of the stalls in the Night Market, but they're so ridiculously expensive that the normal player won't be able to afford them until they're almost finished with the main campaign.

All of that said, pick up Sleeping Dogs if you're even remotely curious. By now you can probably have it for a song.

Remember!

b846012ee0e5d49aaac49e10f10d4309-d5c7mai.png

Goodsport

The Łupków Pass map from the upcoming Battlefield 1 DLC pack In the Name of the Tsar is now available for Premium Members. :cool:

It was also revealed earlier today that of the six new maps included in the DLC, four of them (Łupków Pass, Albion, Galicia and Brusilov Keep) are World War 1 battles while the other two (Tsaritsyn and Volga River) set during the Russian Civil War.

-G

Le Saboteur

Le Saboteur said:
Beyond that, August brings about the end of my gaming purchases for the year.

Now you're a dirty liar. Sega has also announced Yakuza Kiwami 2 is coming stateside in December. You're going to have to get that one too.

DaFedora said:
Sniper Elite III (Africa), the latter seems to have become a bit more tricky since I finished Sniper Elite V2...

Just wait until you get to Italia.

I'm currently fiddling about with The Lost Legacy. Collecting trophies mainly, but I have been enjoying the in-game combat arenas as well as the deeply improved Survival Arena.

I have a soft spot for city builders, so while I'm looking forward to Tropico 6, I'm spending some time with Tropico 5 again. Since freemode is a significant time sink I've been messing about with the campaign so I can pick it up and put it down with some ease.

Speaking of building sims, is anybody else looking forward to this:

I'll be picking it up. And is it weird that I wonder how comprehensive their AD&D* coverage is?

That's Accidental Death & Dismemberment, not Advanced Dungeons & Dragons.

TheFedora

Le Saboteur said:
Speaking of building sims, is anybody else looking forward to this:

As a longtime 'fan' of Jurassic Park/World I'm probably going to go get Jurassic World Evolution. In the meantime I finally beat all the main story bits of Far Cry 4 the other day. Might try to trade it in to get some more store credit towards Uncharted lost Legacy. Currently I got enough to get the game at half price so maybe this will count for a bit more.