Mad Max: Fury Road

The Man

It seems highly unlikely. The last 'concrete' word on the movie appeared nearly two years ago. Since then, Gibson has pretty much distanced himself from role reprisals (ala Lethal Weapon 5)...

Who knows? Rockatansky may return sans Mel and Miller - which wouldn't really be Mad Max at all...

DoomTown

Shame...I love the trilogy...Probably my second favorite...;)

Why not just take the script and make a novel or even a graphic novel out of it??? I always thought Max and his world were ripe for a series of novels...

The Man

KVoss said:
Why not just take the script and make a novel or even a graphic novel out of it???

How 'bout Anime..?

Good ol? Mad Max: post-apocalyptic gun-slinger with a need for blood-thirsty revenge! MTV News? #4 Movie Badass of All Time! And?star of a 3-D anime feature film?!

Unlikely as that last one sounds, some big screen animated ?Max? action is shaping up to become a reality, according to George Miller, the writer/director of the previous three films. The catch? He doesn?t want Max himself, Mel Gibson, anywhere near the project.

?We?ll probably go a different route,? Miller told MTV News about the potential talent voicing the lead role.

Now Miller is resurrecting the idea as an R-rated, stereoscopic anime flick for theatrical release. It?s a curious undertaking, to be sure, but one made all the more certain to happen after the runaway success in 2006 of his computer-animated ?Happy Feet??not that the newest, ever-violent ?Max? film will have much in common with that kid-friendly penguin party.

?I?ve got a couple of years left,? said Miller. ?We?re in the early stages writing and designing. A really good game you need two and half years. And for good anime you need two years."

brookystreet

I hate it when they leave a good series on a crap film (Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome , The Godfather Part III, Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare, Lethal Weapon 4 etc), no matter how long it takes, they should ALWAYS end a series on a good note ;) (This is a good excuse for Indy V ;))

roundshort

Mad Max, Fury road

The MAd Max does not get much love here (and after Thunderdome I understand why). I thought the frist two, Mad Max and road warrior were great movies for their time and place. Any thoughts on this one? Mel Freakshow Anti-Semite Gibson reduced to a cameo and Batman's Bane is the new Mad Max (I forgot his name Hardy?) .

Does any one care?

IS there anyone out there...

Bulher

kongisking

roundshort said:
The MAd Max does not get much love here (and after Thunderdome I understand why). I thought the frist two, Mad Max and road warrior were great movies for their time and place. Any thoughts on this one? Mel Freakshow Anti-Semite Gibson reduced to a cameo and Batman's Bane is the new Mad Max (I forgot his name Hardy?) .

Does any one care?

IS there anyone out there...

Bulher

I'll definitely look at this, since I'm now a (I apologize in advance for the bad pun) DieHardy.

The only Max film I've seen is Road Warrior, and I remember it being terrific.

Montana Smith

The first one had the most impact. It was bleak and cruel, and not so camp.

George Miller's down to direct Fury Road, and as he directed the others there's no telling which way he's going to take it. Though, I suspect he'll go back to the original and make a big budget gritty Mad Max ($100m estimated).

Joe Brody

Beautiful film end-to-end -- especially the night sequences (which they gave us us a little too much of).

Pale Horse

Staff member
Joe Brody said:
Beautiful film end-to-end -- especially the night sequences (which they gave us us a little too much of).

Joe Brody said:

I have a possibility to see this file, this week, in a theater, by my lonesome, as the wifey and kiddo will be away.

Dear heavens, please don't suck. Please don't suck.

roundshort

hmmmm The previews make this look like a CGI sh#@storm - which I hate. The reviews, even by our own Brody, made say might be worth the effort to see..... the Box office and now later reviews have back as a CGI sh#@storm and will now wait until it is a DVD.

Gotta save the few times a year I make it into a movie theater for flicks that count like.... VACATION!

Joe Brody

Pale Horse said:
I have a possibility to see this file, this week, in a theater, by my lonesome, as the wifey and kiddo will be away.

Dear heavens, please don't suck. Please don't suck.

roundshort said:
hmmmm The previews make this look like a CGI sh#@storm - which I hate. The reviews, even by our own Brody, made say might be worth the effort to see..... the Box office and now later reviews have back as a CGI sh#@storm and will now wait until it is a DVD.

Gotta save the few times a year I make it into a movie theater for flicks that count like.... VACATION!

Counter to what I think round short is saying, the box office was good. For a 2nd tier action film to open to $44M in the U.S. on the heels of Avengers and Furious 7 is solid box office. In addition to action fatigue, there was good weather this past weekend and Mad Max is a more violent franchise that keeps some viewers away (don't believe the press about this being a female targeted action movie even with Theron at the forefront). Notably the 3D dollars were better than other recent offerings.

Read the below Rolling Stone article before dismissing the film as a CGI sh*t storm. Were there some bad effects? Yes. But the real stunts were engrossing. The actual stunts -- especially in the first twenty or so minutes -- give the film a rare primal intensity that I probably haven't experienced since reading Lord of the Flies as a young kid. I exaggerate slightly but there's something special (in a Thomas Hobbes state-of-nature kinda way) in the first motorized sequence.

Just ignore the stupid moments like the two-headed lizard and move on.

Link to Rolling Stone story

Yes, Tom Hardy is no Mel Gibson and the critics that are crowing on this point have really got it wrong. Hardy is no Mel Gibson and he doesn't need to be because Theron adds a whole new dimension. It's bona fide on-screen magic for the apocalypse when those two connect and wordlessly come to an understanding.

Pale, I'll be interested in your take. It was money well spent.

Anyone else have seen it??
And still no love for this one? Really??

I went to see it this sunday, and I was literally blown away.
Damn, what a ride it is. Definitely far better than all of the previous three put together, and mind that I've always loved Road Warrior a big time. Big big time.

This is just basically blockbuster cinema at its best. The finest and purest example of it. An old school action adventure piece of art, that seems to be coming directly out from the 80s, but after having been upgraded to the special effects and cinematography of 2015. It's as daring as a modern movie could be, because it's crude, violent and someway disturbing, soooo welcoming back the R rating to the mainstream. Hope it gets it done.

Tom Hardy is the man. He plays the perfect Mad Max, making him look even more badass than he was back in the days. More mature, more introspective, much more dangerous. And hail to Charlize Theron for having brought to life one of the best "warrior woman" character in history. Their chemistry together is simply uncomparable, especially considering that most of their relationship is based only on eye contact and gestuality, with hardly any words at all.

For those who are still creeping at the idea of it being a CGI crapfest, I can assure you that 90% of the things you will see on the screen are real life action stunts, and some of them are truly unbelievable. Apart for one single scene that looks pretty cringy (the one that was inserted purely for the 3D market... when you'll see it, you'll understand it...), CGI is used very rarely, and plays out very effective. The sequence in the sandstorm is absolutely stunning.

Do yourself a favour, please. Go watch it, if you haven't already. I'm serious.
It really is one of those movies that truly deserves to be experienced on silver screen.

featofstrength said:
How about giving George Miller a crack at Indiana Jones?

I was thinking the exact same thing. Bring it on. :gun:

EddyW

I saw it last week, absolutely fell in love with it. The most fun I've had at the cinema for a long, looong time. IMHO it shows all the action movies of the past 10 years how it's really done. They showed Jurassic World and Terminator 5 trailers before this, and although I was mildly looking forward to those, Max reminded me that those films will never be what I'm hoping they would be. Mad Max is low on CGI, high on originality and practical stunts with a simple story, yet effective enough to keep you on the edge of your seat, and sometimes slightly next to it. I'll see this again at the cinema's fore sure.

Dr. Gonzo

I just have to echo what has been said.

A solid piece of action cinema. I haven't felt like that in a theater in a long while. Gets the Doctor's seal of approval. (y)