Ideas For New Indy Actor

Toht's Arm

garzo said:
While I liked the magical McGuffins (crystal skull not so much) in the films, I always felt Spielberg and Lucas missed a lot of great potential storytelling by not deviating from the formula.

Agree with this! It's what makes ToD such a good entry in the series - because it dares to be a bit different.

With regards to excluding the supernatural, I'd like to see an Indy film where everyone THINKS the Macguffin is of a supernatural nature, only to have it turn out to be nothing of the sort! It'd never happen, but a guy can dream!

TheFedora

Toht's Arm said:
Agree with this! It's what makes ToD such a good entry in the series - because it dares to be a bit different.

With regards to excluding the supernatural, I'd like to see an Indy film where everyone THINKS the Macguffin is of a supernatural nature, only to have it turn out to be nothing of the sort! It'd never happen, but a guy can dream!

Kind of reminds me of Uncharted 3 a bit with the Macguffin hinted at being supernatural but not really after all.

seasider

He might not be the best actor around but Scott Eastwood (Clint's son) who is now 32 has that Indy look.

diablo-trailer-10.jpg

scott.jpg

foreignerfred

foreignerfred said:

George Lucas was originally hesitant to cast Harrison as Indy after having cast him as Han in Star Wars (and before that in American Graffiti). "I didn't want him to become my Bobby DiNero."

If Alden pulls off paying homage to Harrison's portrayal of Han while adding something fresh to the role in "Solo," would Disney dare consider him for Indiana Jones?

I can see Alden's success in Solo working FOR him in landing Indy and AGAINST him.

"Who would dare try to tackle a role made iconic by Harrison Ford?"

There's actually a non-speculative answer to that question now.

Nerdpants

In my opinion the series should end with Ford! I really can't see people accepting someone else in the role. I know they have (at times) with Bond, but I just feel the character of Indy is different.

Now, if they came up with a similar type character like Rick O'Connell in The Mummy films, I'd vote for an actor like Gerard Butler, Nathan Fillion, or Eric Bana.
Ford is to Indy what Schwarzenegger is to the Terminator. Dont recast.

Don't get me wrong. It would be possible to recast and for it to still be successful. I just wouldn't want to see that. If a film maker is good enough to make an Indy film without Harrison Ford being in it, they are good enough to come up with an original character rather than reboot an 80s film series..

Nerdpants

George Lucas was originally hesitant to cast Harrison as Indy after having cast him as Han in Star Wars (and before that in American Graffiti). "I didn't want him to become my Bobby DiNero."

If Alden pulls off paying homage to Harrison's portrayal of Han while adding something fresh to the role in "Solo," would Disney dare consider him for Indiana Jones?

I can see Alden's success in Solo working FOR him in landing Indy and AGAINST him.

"Who would dare try to tackle a role made iconic by Harrison Ford?"

There's actually a non-speculative answer to that question now.
I like Alden as an actor. I think he is a fantastic actor and did a great job of giving Solo a back story.

But I don't see him playing Indiana Jones and I don't think he would accept even if it was offered.

What credible actor would like to have a career as effectively a stand in for all the roles of an older, more famous actor..

emtiem

I like Alden as an actor. I think he is a fantastic actor and did a great job of giving Solo a back story.

But I don't see him playing Indiana Jones and I don't think he would accept even if it was offered.

What credible actor would like to have a career as effectively a stand in for all the roles of an older, more famous actor..

Yeah you're totally right. As a thought experiment rather than a serious suggestion, I could imagine him doing a decent job in his Solo style as Indy.

I totally get the position of being against recasting, but also I think as we've now got an Indiana Jones film not directed by Spielberg (and in a way I do sort of wonder if that is possible) having an Indy who isn't Ford is pretty much the same level of big step if you take my meaning.

Indy isn't really all that much of a concept: he's an old-fashioned adventure hero.. and that's about it. What made it special was Spielberg/Ford/Lucas: remove any of those and is it really Indy any more? For example I watch that Young Indy episode where Ford turns up in the gear, and because it's being directed like a flat TV show (and you can tell that Ford is pretty much directing himself at times, trying to add interest!) it doesn't really feel like Indiana Jones. So once you're beyond having those three involved, I guess you may as well try a new version.
None of this really matters, anyway- it's just a film. Making a new one doesn't take the classics away.

Face_Melt

I believe Brandon Sklenar would make a great Indy to wear the hat!

Yep.

I don’t personally think Lucasfilm is interested in recasting Ford.

But…should they choose to go that route Brandon is my top choice. Dude has great screen presence and looks fantastic in a fedora in some of those 1923 scenes.

antonb

No disagree , lacks the personality of Ford. The great thing about Ford is he can be tough and heroic but also has great comic timing .

FordFan

I feel like any actor who has stubble in a part gets mentioned as a possible Indy... just like any lanky actor playing any character with eccentricities gets recommended to play the Joker.

I'm not opposed to a recasting in a couple of years. If 'Dial of Destiny' is as poignant as "Logan", I'm great with them waiting even longer. All the more time to find that one rare actor who can do justice to the part.

antonb

Have you seen 1923? Just curious.
Yep , looking handsome and being broody isn’t Indiana Jones, lot of actors can do that! Being able to mix humour and drama sometimes in the same scene, is a skill that Ford is great at. See shrinking for a good example of that .

emtiem

I feel like Pedro Pascal could be quite a good Indy, he has a bit of that self-deprecating feel and is very charming onscreen.
I don't think he would as he's already got a starring role in a Lucasfilm production (although that didn't stop Ford of course), even despite him being a huge fan.
In another staggering failure to think out of the box, Oscar Isaac would be quite good too I think :D

FordFan

I remember being on these boards and people speculating, post-"Gladiator", that Russell Crowe would be a good Indy replacement. Read pretty much every name since then. Pascal is a solid pick.

Also I'm old.