Blu-ray vs HD DVD

TheMutt92

Goonie said:
If you are into Disney movies, Pixar, etc, I recommend signing up on Disney Movie Rewards. They usually have a coupon for new releases. The latest release of Cars had an $8 off coupon and Incredibles Blu had $10 off.

Actually the first two Blu-Rays I purchased were Disney: Bambi and Pinocchio. So I'm interested to go through more of their selection (especially Pixar). Originally when I went into Best Buy, I didn't intend on buying anything. But when I saw Bambi was on sale (nearly $10 off for Easter) and that Pinocchio goes back in the vault April 30th (along w/ Snow White and Fantasia/Fantasia 2000) I had to grab some childhood classics. The transfers are amazing (except one shot in Bambi, which definitely doesn't look HD, but I can forgive). Highly recommended.

My plan is to only buy Blu-Rays that are personal favorites of mine (Star Wars, True Grit, Lion King, etc.). I have a pretty impressive DVD collection, but a lot of them were purchased just because I felt the need to buy them, especially if I had seen it in theaters (bad habit). I'm gonna try and sell all unnecessary films to fund my Blu-Ray collection. And as far as replacing DVDs go, I'll only do so if there is a major difference between the DVD and Blu-Ray (such as Apocalypse Now). If not, I'll wait till I can't more money in the bank.

Quick question: does anyone have suggestions for cheapest places to buy Blu-Rays? Best Buy is fair priced, Amazon's Blu-Rays are actually at times cheaper than the DVD editions, and I imagine Walmart or Target is pretty cheap.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
TheMutt92 said:
Actually the first two Blu-Rays I purchased were Disney: Bambi and Pinocchio. So I'm interested to go through more of their selection (especially Pixar). Originally when I went into Best Buy, I didn't intend on buying anything. But when I saw Bambi was on sale (nearly $10 off for Easter) and that Pinocchio goes back in the vault April 30th (along w/ Snow White and Fantasia/Fantasia 2000) I had to grab some childhood classics. The transfers are amazing (except one shot in Bambi, which definitely doesn't look HD, but I can forgive). Highly recommended.

So I've heard some mixed reactions to the quality of the Disney Blu-Rays. The story runs that the smoothing that was performed on the early films the releases are starting off with has smoothed away much of the detail and character of the cel animation. The backgrounds are intact, because they don't change from frame to frame, but the moving parts all have this "buffed" effect. There's also some controversy over the color not being faithful to the originals, that the classic painterly tones of the original films have been passed over for a brighter palette. Can you speak to any of this? (This thread here, over at the Home Theater Forum, and including commentary from noted archivist Robert Harris, is a good place to start.)

Indy's brother

TheMutt92 said:
Quick question: does anyone have suggestions for cheapest places to buy Blu-Rays? Best Buy is fair priced, Amazon's Blu-Rays are actually at times cheaper than the DVD editions, and I imagine Walmart or Target is pretty cheap.

Shop online, man! Google Shopping is the easiest, but if you have the patience, you can almost always find something cheaper searching without it. :hat:

TheMutt92

Attila the Professor said:
So I've heard some mixed reactions to the quality of the Disney Blu-Rays. The story runs that the smoothing that was performed on the early films the releases are starting off with has smoothed away much of the detail and character of the cel animation. The backgrounds are intact, because they don't change from frame to frame, but the moving parts all have this "buffed" effect. There's also some controversy over the color not being faithful to the originals, that the classic painterly tones of the original films have been passed over for a brighter palette. Can you speak to any of this? (This thread here, over at the Home Theater Forum, and including commentary from noted archivist Robert Harris, is a good place to start.)

I can't really compare the color to the originals (although its exactly as I remember it from way back when), but as for the smoothing: you're right in that the backgrounds look like they were painted yesterday, and especially considering the techniques and styles they used its quite breath taking, while the cel animation doesn't appear to have lost its effect at all.

The Man

The Man said:
<object width="720" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/32877"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/32877" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" width="720" height="355"></embed></object>​

Extras! Extras! Read all about it!

DISC ONE ? STAR WARS: EPISODE I THE PHANTOM MENACE
Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Rick McCallum, Ben Burtt, Rob Coleman, John Knoll, Dennis Muren and Scott Squires
Audio Commentary from Archival Interviews with Cast and Crew

DISC TWO ? STAR WARS: EPISODE II ATTACK OF THE CLONES
Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Rick McCallum, Ben Burtt, Rob Coleman, Pablo Helman, John Knoll and Ben Snow

DISC THREE ? STAR WARS: EPISODE III REVENGE OF THE SITH
Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Rick McCallum, Rob Coleman, John Knoll and Roger Guyett

DISC FOUR ? STAR WARS: EPISODE IV A NEW HOPE
Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Carrie Fisher, Ben Burtt and Dennis Muren

DISC FIVE ? STAR WARS: EPISODE V THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Irvin Kershner, Carrie Fisher, Ben Burtt and Dennis Muren

DISC SIX ? STAR WARS: EPISODE VI RETURN OF THE JEDI
Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Carrie Fisher, Ben Burtt and Dennis Muren

DISC SEVEN ? NEW! STAR WARS ARCHIVES: EPISODES I-III
Including: deleted, extended and alternate scenes; prop, maquette and costume turnarounds; matte paintings and concept art; supplementary interviews with cast and crew; a flythrough of the Lucasfilm Archives and more

DISC EIGHT ? NEW! STAR WARS ARCHIVES: EPISODES IV-VI
Including: deleted, extended and alternate scenes; prop, maquette and costume turnarounds; matte paintings and concept art; supplementary interviews with cast and crew; and more

DISC NINE ? THE STAR WARS DOCUMENTARIES
NEW! Star Warriors (2007, Color, Apx. 84 Minutes) ? Some Star Wars fans want to collect action figures...these fans want to be action figures! A tribute to the 501st Legion, a global organization of Star Wars costume enthusiasts, this insightful documentary shows how the super-fan club promotes interest in the films through charity and volunteer work at fundraisers and high-profile special events around the world.

NEW! A Conversation with the Masters: The Empire Strikes Back 30 Years Later (2010, Color, Apx. 25 Minutes) ? George Lucas, Irvin Kershner, Lawrence Kasdan and John Williams look back on the making of The Empire Strikes Back in this in-depth retrospective from Lucasfilm created to help commemorate the 30th anniversary of the movie. The masters discuss and reminisce about one of the most beloved films of all time.

NEW! Star Wars Spoofs (2011, Color, Apx. 91 Minutes) ? The farce is strong with this one! Enjoy a hilarious collection of Star Wars spoofs and parodies that have been created over the years, including outrageous clips from Family Guy, The Simpsons, How I Met Your Mother and more ? and don?t miss ?Weird Al? Yankovic?s one-of-a-kind music video tribute to The Phantom Menace!

The Making of Star Wars (1977, Color, Apx. 49 Minutes) ? Learn the incredible behind-the-scenes story of how the original Star Wars movie was brought to the big screen in this fascinating documentary hosted by C-3PO and R2-D2. Includes interviews with George Lucas and appearances by Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher.

The Empire Strikes Back: SPFX (1980, Color, Apx. 48 Minutes) ? Learn the secrets of making movies in a galaxy far, far away. Hosted by Mark Hamill, this revealing documentary offers behind-the-scenes glimpses into the amazing special effects that transformed George Lucas? vision for Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back into reality!

Classic Creatures: Return of the Jedi (1983, Color, Apx. 48 Minutes) ? Go behind the scenes ? and into the costumes ? as production footage from Return of the Jedi is interspersed with vintage monster movie clips in this in-depth exploration of the painstaking techniques utilized by George Lucas to create the classic creatures and characters seen in the film. Hosted and narrated by Carrie Fisher and Billie Dee Williams.

Anatomy of a Dewback (1997, Color, Apx. 26 Minutes) ? See how some of the special effects in Star Wars became even more special two decades later! George Lucas explains and demonstrates how his team transformed the original dewback creatures from immovable rubber puppets (in the original 1977 release) to seemingly living, breathing creatures for the Star Wars 1997 Special Edition update.

Star Wars Tech (2007, Color, Apx. 46 Minutes) ? Exploring the technical aspects of Star Wars vehicles, weapons and gadgetry, Star Wars Tech consults leading scientists in the fields of physics, prosthetics, lasers, engineering and astronomy to examine the plausibility of Star Wars technology based on science as we know it today.​

michael

ha! was just about to post that.

I think I will eventually get it. Indy is the priority though.

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
I ask lucasfilm about indy blu ray on this weeks IndyCast and they say....., nothing to report at this time. Shocker

TheMutt92

If they had imported all or even just the highlights of the previous DVD release, this would be a must buy, and the original releases would be appreciated (even if they weren't in HD). Regardless, I'm a big SW fan so I will prolly get this sooner or later (might have to wait for the price to drop a bit). That is, unless there is a big uproar upon release.

And in related news, here's the cover art:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6326

Complete Saga
198_tn.jpg

Prequel Trilogy
196_tn.jpg

Original Trilogy
197_tn.jpg

Dr.Sartorius

Nice to see the classic Star Wars trilogy deleted scenes are getting an official release. I wish I didn't have to buy the whole set for that though.

TheMutt92

Rosebud...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Warner_Brothers/Disc_Announcements__/Citizen_Kane_Blu-ray_Pre-Orders_Available!/6903

No specifics on specs, supplements, or release date have been detailed, but here's an early peek at the contents:

original.pjpeg

TheMutt92

New sh!t has come to light...

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6496

New Special Features:

Scene Companion: A picture in picture mode that features cast and crew interviews, behind-the-scenes footage and more during key scenes.
Mark It Dude: On-screen counter that keeps track of all the "F-Bombs", "Dudes" and "Dude-isms" in the film.
The Music of The Big Lebowski: Instantly identifies the songs heard while watching the film, and allows the creation of custom playlists.
Worthy Adversaries- What's My Line Trivia: Trivia that tests your Lebowski knowledge by finishing lines of dialogue during the film. Play as Walter or The Dude or in two-player mode against friends.
U-CONTROL
pocket BLU
BD-LIVE
Mobile-To-Go
uHEAR

http://images.blu-ray.com/news/upload/337.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharkey

Do you have a Blu-Ray? Do you have Skull? Can you tell us about any of this stuff?

Talk Indiana Jones for a change. Give us something we want, huh?

I don't care about "the dude" or "the jesus."

F'in A!

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (Blu-ray)

STEELBOOK: 2-Disc Special Edition

APPROX. 122 MINS. - PROD. YEAR: 2008 - MPA RATING: PG-13

Release date:

Oct 14, 2008
Special Features

• Presented on two discs
• DISC ONE:
• Featurette: "Pre-Production"
• Featurette: "The Return of a Legend"
• Indiana Jones Timelines (Blu-ray picture-in-picture exclusives):
• -"Story Timeline"
• -"Production Timeline"
• -"Historical Timeline"
• Trailers
• DISC TWO:
• Production Diary:
• -"Shooting Begins: New Mexico" (HD)
• -"Back To School: New Haven, Connecticut" (HD)
• -"Welcome to the Jungle: Hilo, Hawaii" (HD)
• -"On-Set Action" (HD)
• -"Exploring Akator" (HD)
• -"Wrapping Up!" (HD)
• Featurette: "Warrior Makeup" (HD)
• Featurette: "The Crystal Skulls" (HD)
• Featurette: "Iconic Props" (HD)
• Featurette: "The Effects of Indy" (HD)
• Featurette: "Adventures in Post Production" (HD)
• Featurette: "Closing: Team Indy" (HD)
• Pre-Visualization Sequences:
• -"Area 51 Escape" (HD)
• -"Jungle Chase" (HD)
• -"Ants Attack" (HD)
• GALLERIES:
• The Art Department:
• -"The Adventure Begins"
• -"Cemetery and Jungle"
• -"Akator"
• Stan Winston Studio:
• -"Corpses, Skeletons & Mummies"
• -"Aliens & Crystal Skulls"
• -"Production photographs"
• Portraits
• Behind-the-Scenes Photographs
• Future Shop Exclusive Steelbook Packaging

Go post this other crap on some DVD Blu-ray message board.

TheMutt92

Sharkey said:
Do you have a Blu-Ray? Do you have Skull? Can you tell us about any of this stuff?

Talk Indiana Jones for a change. Give us something we want, huh?

I don't care about "the dude" or "the jesus."

F'in A!

Go post this other crap on some DVD Blu-ray message board.

This aggression will not stand, man!

Seeing as this is the general film discussion board, and this is a blu-ray thread and not just a KOTCS blu-ray thread, I don't see any problem.

And yes, I own some blu-rays. Not KOTCS at the moment, but that's mostly cause I'm holding out for the forthcoming (any year now) blu-ray collection of the entire series.