Raiders Temple Crusade Showtimes

AndyLGR

Great to see raiders on the big screen for the first time tonight. It looks like all vue cinemas round the country are showing the original trilogy over the next 2 weeks. It was a good turnout tonight as well.

Stoo

Congrats, Andy!(y) Was it an original print or the new, "Blu-ray" version?

Have fun next Tuesday with "Doom".

AndyLGR

Stoo said:
Congrats, Andy!(y) Was it an original print or the new, "Blu-ray" version?

Have fun next Tuesday with "Doom".
Hmmmm good question, Im not sure. I didn't notice the cobra reflection, but that was that first edited out for the DVD release or any prints of the film back in the day?

It was fantastic to experience it on the big screen and in surround in a theatre it sounded great. It was interesting to note how the surround highlighted things i hadn't noticed before in the film.

Stoo

If you didn't see the snake reflection than it couldn't have been an original print from the '80s. (I'm pretty certain that it was first taken out for the 1999 "Complete Adventures" VHS releases but my memory about this is getting foggy. Definitely no earlier than that, though.)

Did the Cairo street scenes have an overbearing yellow hue to them? That is one of the most glaring visual differences of the new, revamped version.

From what I've gathered, it seems that major chain theatres which have been showing the trilogy, since 2011, are screening the "Blu-ray" prints with only the smaller movie houses & repertory cinemas showing the originals.

Anyway, Andy, I know what you mean about the surround sound!(y) When I saw the IMAX version last year, I was hearing all kinds of things that I'd either forgotten about over the past 30 years or were brand new additions (and there were definitely some new sounds). So cool to discover more nuances about such a beloved film, ain't it?

I haven't seen "Doom" in the theatres since '84 but can remember hearing the slave children screaming from the rear corners of the theatre right after Indy steals the stones from the altar. The 1st time I saw it (on opening day), I actually thought that they were coming from kids in the back seats! They were creepy and helped make the film an immersive experience. So keep your ears open for those screams next week!:)

AndyLGR

The surround highlighted the running water in the temple as they approach the light at the start, sounds in Cairo around the streets and in the bar. Stuff I hadn't noticed as much before.

The Cairo scenes were very bright. And seeing it on the screen really made some of spielbergs shooting techniques stand out more. The use of silhouettes, his method of framing shots by using something in the foreground to draw you to what's in the background. It's meant for the big screen and their impact is felt more in a cinema.

The score, already a classic, is immense in the cinema. In particular the map room scene, the truck chase and the ending.

Seeing it on a cinema also highlighted the special effects, I never noticed before that the plane they board is a matte painting I assume? Can't believe I never noticed that in all the years of watching it.

Can't wait to see TOD next week now.

Last edited:

Stoo

AndyLGR said:
The surround highlighted the running water in the temple as they approach the light at the start, sounds in Cairo around the streets and in the bar. Stuff I hadn't noticed as much before.
Those were the main "new" sounds that I heard, too. The water in the temple and the sounds in the Cairo bar. One of the sound effects in the bar seemed to be someone shuffling a deck of cards. I also noticed stuff with the truck's engine during the desert chase.
AndyLGR said:
Seeing it on a cinema also highlighted the special effects, I never noticed before that the plane they board is a matte painting I assume? Can't believe I never noticed that in all the years of watching it.
Surprised that you didn't know about this shot. The plane & people boarding it were filmed on land in an empty lot so the background is a matte painting. The dock & water were shot separately and then superimposed on top. Pans of water were put in place so that light reflections would flicker underneath the wings. It's a marvelous combination and the fact that you never noticed until now, is a testament to ILM's craft.

When you go to "Doom", sit in the middle of the theatre for the fullest experience of the audio. Have fun!

AndyLGR

I went to see TOD tonight. First of all I think the passage of time has been kind to it in my eyes, because I'm not now comparing it to Raiders like I used to when TOD first came out. I never got to see it on the cinema so I was really looking forward to it and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I had a pleasant surprise in that it was the Blu ray version they showed, (i think), as I haven't watched the Blu ray all the way through. But the uncut torture scene I thought was much more intense than the one I've got used to seeing over the last 30 years. The addition of Indy telling them to leave shorty alone as he was whipped stuck out. All in all that section of the film from discovering the temple to Indy being converted was better for being uncut IMO, much more menacing. Oh, and I'm sure additional screams were added as Indy was changing as the black sleep took hold.

Soundtrack wise the screams of the children from the mine was probably the major thing that stood out as you say stoo.

On the big screen the matte paintings of the village and the palace looked very convincing considering the age of the film. Although obviously some of the other effects don't hold up as well now.

For some reason I found willie and short round less annoying this time round too, and Harrison is at the top of his game I think.

AndyLGR

To complete the original trilogy I went to see TLC last night. This is the only one of the originals that I saw in the cinema when it came out.

Picture wise and soundtrack wise there was nothing that jumped out as being more noticeable this time around.......... apart from Elsa's nipples when she comes out of the bathroom in Venice (y)

The film got some real belly laughs from the people in attendance, and in all the places where the humour is intended. In particular some of the Marcus scenes.

I think this film is still my second favourite behind ROTLA, its in a similar vein and I think after the darkness of TOD that was an intentional ploy. Connery is very good in it. The screen relationship between him and Indy I still think is the films core. One of my biggest criticisms has always been the use of Marcus and Sallah in this, with too many stupid moments. But I didn't feel that way last night. I just enjoyed the ride :whip:

Obviosuly some of the sets look too studio bound and it seemed more noticeable on the big screen, in particular the temple at the end and some of the effects have dated too, but as with the other 2, it has a charm and quality that other imitators have tried and failed to emulate. I still feel the ending is a perfect way to end the series and possibly the end bond (no pun intended) between father and son is a very satisfying resolution for me.

To summarise it was great to see the 3 films on the cinema, it really hits home what a good quality series it was and still is. I noticed how much detail you can miss when you're only watching them on a tv screen. It also highlights the quality of the cinematography and how well some of the shots are composed.

HenryJunior

Raiders of the Lost Ark

When:
January 18th, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Where:
Pollack Tempe Cinemas
Tempe, Az

It's January's movie for the monthly Film Program "Cult Classics" in Phoenix. Check it out if you're in Arizona or willing to make the journey.

Buy tickets on their website:
http://www.cultclassicsaz.com/

They've also got deals for Posters and T-Shirts unique to the screening.

6sqy.jpg

Raiders fan

Temple of Doom screening Feb26th So Cal

ArcLight Theaters in Hollywood and at other of their venues will be screening Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. The Hollywood screening will be at the Cinerama Dome @8pm February 26th. Tickets are available thru ArcLight theaters.:)

Stoo

Raiders in San Jose

This screening sounds interesting with a "Fun Pack" and "in-movie surprises":

---
"Raiders of the Lost Ark"
Sunday, March 30 at 7:00pm

The Retro Dome
3161 Olsen Drive, San Jose, California
408-404-7711

Join us for a one-night-only screening of Raiders of the Lost Ark, presented as an interactive quote-along by The Retro Dome as we say farewell to Century 21, Century 22 and Century 23. With programming scheduled to cease in all three of these venues at the end of March 2014, this is going to be the movie event of the season.

6:30pm Seating begins; guests are encouraged to arrive early to queue up for desired seating 7:00pm Welcome and Pre-show Activities

7:20pm Showtime: Advance reservations required to ensure seating and receive a Fun Pack. Fun pack includes props to go along with the movie. Other in-movie surprises await. Costumes or themed dress always welcome.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.genesiscinema.co.uk/comingsoon.php
INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM: 30TH ANNIVERSARY SCREENING + EXCLUSIVE Q&A
Genesis Cinema and Soundstage Events present this special event to mark thirty years since the release of the second Indiana Jones film. Following a screening of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, there'll be an exclusive interview with its producer, Robert Watts, and its art director, Alan J Cassie.
Robert Watts was also the associate producer of Raiders of the Lost Ark and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. He also worked closely with George Lucas as a producer on the original Star Wars trilogy. Robert was also the producer of the groundbreaking Who Framed Roger Rabbit.
As well as Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Alan J Cassie was the art director on Dragonslayer; Patriot Games, also starring Harrison Ford; The Saint; The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and Muppet Treasure Island.
Sunday September 14th 3pm / £20

Le Saboteur

The Clay Theater in San Francisco will be screening Temple of Doom over the Memorial Day Weekend. For everybody else, that's May 23rd, 24th, and 25th. Midnight showings every night.

Clay Theater
2261 Fillmore Street
San Francisco, CA 94115
(415) 561-9921

large.jpg

InexorableTash

Le Saboteur said:
The Clay Theater in San Francisco will be screening Temple of Doom over the Memorial Day Weekend.

Yay! Just a few blocks from my house. Found a babysitter. Will be there with a fedora on. :hat: