Fate of Atlantis 2nd edition

whipwarrior

When I first published my Fate of Atlantis novelization in June 2013, it was an immensely gratifying moment. It was the culmination of a nearly four-year endeavor, one that I believed to be as perfect as I could possibly make it. Satisfied with my work on the story, I was eager for a well-deserved break. But fate had other plans for Atlantis.

In December, I was recruited by game designer Patrik Spacek to work on a contemporary remake of Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. In essence, my feature-length novel served as a resume of my knowledge about the game. I quickly found myself in the role of creative consultant as Patrik shared numerous designs for the demo-in-progress, seeking my critical opinion. I considered this happy distraction a reward for all my hard work in bringing the novelization to life, and I was pleased to contribute my expertise to the project. Amid this creative endeavor, my writing came to the attention of IndyMag, a new online publication devoted to Indy fandom. The editor wanted to publish my novel as an illustrated monthly serial. I gladly obliged, relishing the opportunity to get my story out to a wider audience. What I hadn?t considered was the logistics of porting a moderate 350-page novel to serial format.

Having written the novelization for web-based reading, some of the chapters were in excess of 20 pages?impossible to print in a 6-page magazine allotment. The editor suggested that I revise the novel. That was absolutely the last thing on my mind. I was burned-out on the story. I didn?t mind writing new Special Edition dialog for Indy and Sophia, but I was absolutely finished with the book. It was online for the world to enjoy, and I was done with it.

Then I saw the preview of my first chapter in IndyMag. Being a natural perfectionist, I began making little corrections to the text for the print edition. But the fledgling publication was beset with delays, and the subsequent lapse between formatting and premiere day allowed me time to revise each chapter for public consumption. Soon, my initial reluctance to revisit Atlantis was forgotten in my enthusiasm to give Indy fans the best possible story. So, I dived back into Atlantis once more, armed with my editing scissors.

In reviewing the story, I was able to address a number of narrative problems that were brought to my attention by sharp-eyed readers. Chief among these, several historical errors I had overlooked in my zeal for writing the adaption. I was literally researching on the fly as I wrote each chapter. The remaining issues were discovered in the process of revisiting the novel after so many years. In an effort to expand the story, I'd written several lengthy scenes which unnecessarily diverted the storyline. These went to the cutting room floor, along with a slew of extraneous banter between our protagonists in the course of their journey. I also excised a vast amount of tedious description for the sake of simplicity. Less is, quite often, more, as the adage goes.

Longer chapters were divided at natural break points, with the goal of reducing each chapter to 7 - 12 pages. All told, I shaved off about 45 pages from the manuscript, creating a much leaner narrative that, I believe, stands up nicely alongside the Indy films and the original Bantam novel series. Now, I hope that fans of the game will enjoy experiencing this classic Indy adventure in a shining new format which will give a renewed appreciation for Hal Barwood's epic masterpiece.

See you in Atlantis! :whip:

Fate of Atlantis e-book

36115892020_ed0800074a_c.jpg

whipwarrior

It's an original story that developed out of my Fate of Atlantis research in early 2013. A detailed outline exists of the entire story, and I am presently conducting more research, reading books that I've gathered over the past few years. Unfortunately I can't give a timeframe or release date at this point, but it's safe to say that the story won't take as long as Atlantis did, because I'm not bound by a pre-existing storyline, which frees up my creative muse tremendously. Whereas I wrote FoA for the public, this one is entirely for myself; my own personal reward for my lifelong devotion to Indiana Jones. :hat:

whipwarrior

It's a tangential sequel to Fate of Atlantis. And yes, our favorite red-headed psychic returns for another adventure with Indy. ;)

whipwarrior

Patrik Spacek enlisted some of his voice actors to read part of my novelization in audio book form! And despite the documentary-style cliché, a British narrator really elevates my text to a whole new level of eloquence! Now Fate of Atlantis sounds like a Victorian prose novel written by Edgar Allan Poe!!! :D

Fate of Atlantis audio book

whipwarrior

It's almost like a Mulder~Scully relationship. They've been in my head for so many years that they're like alter-egos. I just put them in a situation and they start bickering. It's amusing to transcribe their conversations! :D

Blackadder

I was also surprised how many good parts were written that are not in the game, when I started reading I thought it would be just a rewrite of the game with team path playthrough as an option, but from the start of the book everything was changed and many new character and surely for the better ! Oh and also, I wouldnt mind hanging that cover poster on my wall, any way to get a print of it somehow ? :)

whipwarrior

Thanks (again!) for the kind words. In writing the novelization, I drew from all three game paths, plus material from the Dark Horse comics adaption. I tied it all together with scenes of my own invention to match the tone of the original Bantam novels by Rob MacGregor and Max McCoy, and I am quite pleased with the result. If everyone else enjoys the story, then I did my job right.

I'll have to see about making copies of the poster art. My poster was a one-off print from a local shop. Maybe I can print them via Redbubble. I'll check into it soon and let you know if its feasible.

P.S.- For an in-depth interview about the making of my Atlantis novel, check out IndyMag #7 (Sept 2015).

Blackadder

Yes I have read the indymag, and dont worry, I am very picky about what I read, sone published indy novels I didnt like at all, but this one was a cant stop reading from page one, I always loved the game and I am glad someone made it into a book with so much devotion. Anyway yes, if the prints will be avaliable in the format you have on the picture I would love to get one.

whipwarrior

Okay, the posters are fairly expensive to print. If I make a batch of 10 posters (20x30, per original file size), that's nearly $300. I will sell them for $30 each + shipping. Domestic (U.S.) shipping would cost $10 - $15, while International (Europe, etc.) would be $25 - $30, depending on country. Send me a PM if interested. I will post a notice whenever the posters arrive here, and then provide shipping totals based on your address. Payments via PayPal only. :whip: