Why didn't Lawrence Kasdan write Skull

Jackson

Hey,

I think that Lawrence Kasdan should of had a chance to write a new IJ. Do you think he wanted to? Is he even still alive? Does he get along with George? I hope this movie is great but I am not expecting it to beat Raiders. One its not the first time I have watched this character and two I am not a child anymore. You remember the first time you felt the wonder and the magic of watching Indiana for the very first time? I hope so because wonder is what we are all hoping this new movie will give us. Bring the wonder back to us!! Thats why we pray at the church of Indy.:whip:

Jackson

Ska

Jackson said:
Is he even still alive?

:D

haha

That would play somewhat of a part in him being interested in writing it.

He's still kickin'...but hasn't wrote anything since 2003 (Dreamcatcher).

Michael24

Kasdan is still alive and well, and now that you mention it, it would be interesting to see what he might have come up with had he been asked to take a pass at the script.

Adolf Hitler

SKAbatula said:
:D

haha

That would play somewhat of a part in him being interested in writing it.

He's still kickin'...but hasn't wrote anything since 2003 (Dreamcatcher).
He hasn't written man, written. Jeez, is the standard of education really that bad these days?

commontone

Adolf Hitler said:
Jeez, is the standard of education really that bad these days?

I'm not ragging on Skabatula (I make those mistakes myself), but yes, English standards are pretty bad these days...when I was in college a few years ago it amazed me how many people didn't know how to use "there" or "their," "its" or "it's" etc. To think that these things we learn in elementary school, and after all those years of supposedly reading and writing, in college it still hasn't stuck. It's baffling and sad.

The spell checkers and grammar checkers are making us lazy, is my theory.

scifiwolf

Hey Adolf, don't feel so bad about the grammar thing. I feel like the chief of the gammar police sometimes. The only reason I seem to be so good is that I took Latin for four years. I don't remember the Latin, but I remember how well I had to learn English grammar for that class...

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Back on topic... I don't think Kasdan would have been interested in writing another Indy film. Especially when he really tries to run on his own steam in terms of writing and even directing. It would have been interesting to see how he would have shaped Indy 4 and how it would differ from what we're getting. I guess we'll never know. But we can dream...

Adolf Hitler

scifiwolf said:
Hey Adolf, don't feel so bad about the grammar thing. I feel like the chief of the gammar police sometimes. The only reason I seem to be so good is that I took Latin for four years. I don't remember the Latin, but I remember how well I had to learn English grammar for that class...
Well, I guess maybe some of my pomposity over language comes from the fact that I am a lawyer and so I have to know how to write properly. To be honest I think it a little hypocritical of me as I'm a real sucker for typos. :D

movieguy23

Why wasn't Lawrence Kasdan asked to write the new sequel?

History has shown the person who receives the least amount of credit for the success of "Raiders of the Lost Ark" was and remains Lawrence Kasdan. Kasdan wrote a remarkable screenplay for "Raiders" - all the great lines, all the great scenes which we appreciate even more now.

If GL and Spielberg wanted to make another Indiana Jones - why didn't they ask Kasdan to write it?

Lucas made the same mistake with "Star Wars" - GL never asked Kasdan to write any of the Star Wars prequels. Even though one can argue Kasdan wrote the best Star Wars original trilogy film ("The Empire Strikes Back"). Heck one can argue Kasdan has written the best movies in both GL movie franchises ("Raiders of the Lost Ark" and "The Empire Strikes Back").

commontone

One problem with Kasdan is he peaked a long time ago, just like (arguably) George Lucas. The last movie he wrote sucked (Dreamcatcher) and he hasn't been doing much at all the last several years. Just because he did a good job 30 years ago doesn't make him a first choice in 2008.