Why didn't Lawrence Kasdan write Skull

AHegele

Koepp said he called Kasdan when writing and that Kasdan polished some of the Marion/Indy scenes for Kingdom.

I can only assume he wasn't interested in being number 4 or 5 in the list of screenwriters.

I know they didn't go for him with Temple because they wanted a writer (in this case, writers) who knew India.

Also, rumor has it that Kasdan was dissapointed about the limitations Lucas put on him with Return of the Jedi. Maybe he was tired of it.

Michael24

AHegele said:
Also, rumor has it that Kasdan was dissapointed about the limitations Lucas put on him with Return of the Jedi. Maybe he was tired of it.

I love in the Empire of Dreams documentary when he said he tried to convince Lucas to kill someone off and says, "I thought someone should go. Someone . . . had to die." It just sounds hilarious the way he says it. :D

Jonesy9906753

If Larry Kasdan wrote Skull

it would have been wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than what it was,i mean the guy wrote raiders.they didn't need to make it(skull)but they did it for the fans,but it just didnt deliver.

penny for your thoughts ladies and gentlemen?

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
He did write some of it.

"Koepp phoned up friend and ROTLA screenwriter Lawrence Kasdan for help on some of the love dialogue"

Jonesy9906753

jonesissparrow said:
I think the tone would've gone back to Raiders if he had written it, but otherwise I'm satisfied with the overall product.

You know man,Maybe it would've been in a raiders tone,but it would've been way better than what we got,and i hate to say that about indy iv because i wanted it to be good but it just wasn't what i expected,so yeah lucas was right with us having our hopes too high,but did he really need to be right about it? him and steven could've made this film way better if he realized practical effects and a better story & characters was definitley needed,him and steven should've given larry a call,because if they wanted it to truly be a reuniting of old friends that would pay off, because larry has that wity edge that we all know and love in his writing that made the raiders the way it was,and thats what you see in raiders, if he applied himself and tried to really get involved with tweaking whatever story it may be that george and steven had in their noggins during the brainstorming of indy iv.he would've marion's character evolve the way she should've and would do many other things that would make indy iv what people wanted to see.Harrison on the other hand wasn't taking himself seriously(in a good way) and i didnt expect him to because being the actor he is,he gave indy age and didn't act like he was young again,he made indy's age believeable,he's about one of the only things that held the whole film (kotcs) together,and i thank him for that,and there will never be an indiana jones movie without harrison as the lead role,if i were him i would've asked for a rewrite when i read the koepp revising,sure it would take more time,but it would be worth it.and dude they mapped out all of raiders in one little room within a very short amount of time (characters,set pieces and all) and look how that turned out.​

Bjorn Heimdall

Moedred said:
He did write some of it.

"Koepp phoned up friend and ROTLA screenwriter Lawrence Kasdan for help on some of the love dialogue"

Doesn't seem he used much of it, though... The "love dialogue" is hardly a highlight of the film.:sleep:

IAdventurer01

Bjorn Heimdall said:
Doesn't seem he used much of it, though... The "love dialogue" is hardly a highlight of the film.:sleep:

Although I can't say what was used and what wasn't, it wouldn't surprise me if "they weren't you" was a suggestion of Kasdan. I think it's a great line that even Raiders Indy would say - so long as he meant it

Junior Jones

The things I see people complain about most (nuking the fridge, aliens, etc.) were George Lucas's ideas, not Koepp's. Even if Kasdan had written it, it would still have George's ideas in it.

Junior Jones said:
The things I see people complain about most (nuking the fridge, aliens, etc.) were George Lucas's ideas, not Koepp's. Even if Kasdan had written it, it would still have George's ideas in it.

True, but you also have to wonder if those things would be more bearable if everything else was tightened up by better writing. It's pretty pointless, really, to even think about it, because it's over and done with now. And yet, I can't help but think about how much better writing could have changed the movie.

The real question is, moving forward, what will rescue Indy 5 (if it does get made) from George Lucas's distorted view of where Indy should be taken? Would Kasdan be enough? I don't know, but I hope they figure it out and get us one more movie - and get it right this time.

Benraianajones

I thought the originals were "excellent" - Crystal Skull - "good". I do like them all, but CS could have been made better for sure.

I think CS/the alien theme could have been better by fans of the original (especially Raiders fans), if the movie had taken a more serious, darker tone. Slapstick and aliens is a bit too light in comparison. I did enjoy the humour, but there was a bit too much. The movie actually had a good darker scene, when Irina was explaining the skull's powers she desired as the lighting shone menacingly across her face from behind her as Indy stared at the school. However, the film decided then not to really act upon that tone it just set. Sure, we want some crazy action and a bit of humour in the movie, but there was a bit too much in the end. I also think if aliens were used at the end still, CS haters may have accepted it somewhat if it was just some sort of shadowy figure in dark lighting dishing out its punishment as opposed to seeing it in full.

As for Indy 5s direction. Though I don't think Indy's franchise has been ruined, it could be redeemed for those that feel it has been ruined, if they just simply did as above. Make it darker, more mysterious, like the originals. Sure, TOD and Crusade may seem jokey and light at times, but they had a core of mystery to them still. Also, personally, don't make Mutt the lead character...ideally not even include him..for the sake of it. Though, I am guessing he'd HAVE to appear now... Indy always has altering sidekicks, his family doesn't need to be dragged on all his adventures.

George now has the alien thing out of his system he has wanted since 1995-ish. So, possibly, we could have some other religious artifact. I don't mind the alien theme at all, all the Indy movies vary, and I think CS could have been "excellent" with the others if handled right.

Niteshade007

I think I would have preferred it if Kasdan wrote it, but then again, he hasn't written much in recent years. He did write some movies I really enjoy, most notably Raiders, Body Heat, and Empire Strikes Back, but I haven't seen any of his films from the 90s or Dreamcatcher, although I have heard from several people that Wyatt Earp is inferior to Tombstone, a film that I enjoy. The Bodyguard gets mixed reviews, and the other two I am too unfamiliar with to comment.

He had a strong start, and maybe had he wrote Crystal Skull I would have enjoyed it more, but it's not like he's one of the greatest writers in Hollywood now.

No Ticket

IAdventurer01 said:
Although I can't say what was used and what wasn't, it wouldn't surprise me if "they weren't you" was a suggestion of Kasdan. I think it's a great line that even Raiders Indy would say - so long as he meant it

I agree. I bet if any line was Kasdan's it was that one. It just fit the character too well and sounded very Raiders Indy-ish...ish.

Zorg

I just hope they get Kasdan to write (at least) a draft of Indy V. Or, if someone else writes the thing, get Kasdan to do the rewrites and polishing.

Kasdan's the writer they should be talking to about Indy.

Jonesy9906753

i can just imagine how much better marion could have developed as a character if kasdan had written it,too bad we got the smiling marion that does nothing but drive a damned duck boat :eek:

The Man

Jonesy9906753 said:
i can just imagine how much better marion could have developed as a character if kasdan had written it,too bad we got the smiling marion that does nothing but drive a damned duck boat :eek:

417px-Karen_Allen1.JPG

"How 'bout a magic trick?"