Disneyland annual passport holders

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
The Disneyland annual passport tiers are currently $619, $849 and $1049. Here's an article listing reasons they were increased: demand, revenue, spending, overcrowding, parking, experience, and Star Wars Land.

They're not high enough. Overcrowding is the problem. We accidentally went during "AP Days" (February 10 to March 9 this year) when we expected the park to be deserted, but it wasn't. Disney freaks were everywhere absorbing discounted food and exclusive merch. As a Californian I shouldn't complain, but I really felt sorry for the out-of-staters who stoically faced a week of long lines.

Here's a place to start if you're hoping to beat the system. I'm told the 2 weeks of statewide testing every spring is promising. In my experience, rain closes a few rides, but all the locals race home to board up their windows.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Impressive. My earliest Disneyland memory is from a rain day: a friendly castmember replaced my spilled popcorn, we were the only people in sight.

I may have missed it in the wine thread, but continuous passholding means you're in Club 33 or on the wait list? What other perks have you seen over the decades?

I definitely do not recommend walking around like the living dead all morning on Grad Night, especially if your high school's more than several hours away, instead consider some teenage gambling and booze cruise if they still allow them. I've heard stories. The best way to do Disney after the rabble is sent home is on a corporate retreat, listing yourself as the invitee's "family" if you can swing it.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
David Koenig wrote in Mouse Tales about an autistic kid whose parents got him an annual passport because it was truly the cheapest care option. "Spin Man" spent all day on the teacups until he was finally banned for fighting over "his" teacup.

Here's a guy who's never missed a day since 2012. Free parking and some food for $1049 a year. Hopefully he's not demanding the front seat all day on the Indy ride.

JasonMa

I have at various times in the past been an annual passholder at Disneyland, Walt Disney World, LEGOland Florida, and Universal Studios Orlando. At the moment I have none of them.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Moedred said:
David Koenig wrote in Mouse Tales about an autistic kid whose parents got him an annual passport because it was truly the cheapest care option. "Spin Man" spent all day on the teacups until he was finally banned for fighting over "his" teacup...

I had the privilege of meeting him once. I have a special needs sister, so I totally get this.

Le Saboteur

Not enough annual passholders! That's why you're not getting an Indy5!

An annual passholder? No, not anymore. I held one through the early part of the aughts and stopped in... 2009(?). It became absurdly pricey. I'd rather do other things with my limited disposable income.

I can literally fly to China and visit both Honk Kong Disneyland and Shanghai for less than the cost of one top tier passport @ Disneyland. The remainder will cover tickets, hotels, and food. I might even be able to squeeze in souvenir buying.

For me an annual passport is a terrible value proposition.

Lance Quazar

Le Saboteur said:
I can literally fly to China and visit both Honk Kong Disneyland and Shanghai for less than the cost of one top tier passport @ Disneyland. The remainder will cover tickets, hotels, and food. I might even be able to squeeze in souvenir buying.

On a cargo full of live poultry, maybe...

Le Saboteur

Lance Quazar said:
On a cargo full of live poultry, maybe...

With a little effort you can routinely find tickets between the Bay Area & HKG for ~$500. Park admission is $75 for HK & ~$60 for Shanghai (per day naturally), and the overnight train between HK & Shanghai is ~$150 round trip.

Factoring in another hundred bucks in airfare to be safe and you're looking at $885 before hotel costs. Costs vary of course, but a nice room can be had for about fifty bucks a night in both places. That's now $985. A top tier pass @ Disneyland is $1049 so I still have wiggle room.

With the proliferation of low cost air carriers in Asia now I can even squeeze in Tokyo Disneyland & DisneySea for marginally more. Hong Kong Express recently had a $1/return roundtrip sale which would have made a flight from HKG to NRT (or was it Haneda?) ~$300.

Things will be tight, but it most certainly can be done.

Wanna know what I can do with the twenty-seven grand it takes to buy into the Disney Vacation Club?

Finn

Staff member
Le Saboteur said:
Wanna know what I can do with the twenty-seven grand it takes to buy into the Disney Vacation Club?
Mod note: Keep the non-PG bits to yourself.

JasonMa

Funny to stumble into this conversation as my wife has just started planning a possible trip to Hong Kong for our 20th anniversary next year. I pointed out that the traditional 20th wedding anniversary gift is china, but we don't have any use for dinnerware. So we're thinking about gifting ourselves China (Hong Kong) instead. Specifically to go to HK Disneyland but also to see more than just that while we're there.

We're coming from Denver so flights are a bit more pricey than the West Coast but we've found what Le Saboteur did, its not as expensive as you would first think. We'll probably splurge and stay at one of the Disney hotels for t least part of the time we're there but even with that its fairly reasonable for going "halfway around the world".

Le Saboteur

Finn said:
Mod note: Keep the non-PG bits to yourself.

I know we're owned by Disney now, but what a peculiar association to make.

Those hot and sticky things you're implying are expensive. They add up quickly.

JasonMa said:
Specifically to go to HK Disneyland but also to see more than just that while we're there.

Hong Kong Disneyland is my favorite park at the moment due to the amount of potential it has, but it is absolutely a two-day park max. If you catch it during a down spell, you can do virtually everything in a single day. Take in Shanghai as well if you're going to China with Disneyland in mind.

The Disney hotels are priced... well, like the deluxe lodges at the US parks. For marginally more you can stay at The Peninsula, but if you do stay on property I would recommend the brand new Explorers Lodge.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ml62xOJ2-FA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Arrive at the parks via the MTR at least once. The initial approach is superb.

I keep meaning to start a Hong Kong thread.

Junior Woodchucks Assemble!

JasonMa

The Explorers Lodge is likely our top pick. We're still in the research stage right now, no decisions have been made. We figured on 2 days in the park and another 2-3 in Hong Kong itself.

Not sure we can get Shanghai in on this trip but we want to do a more general China trip at some point in the future so I'm sure we'll have a second chance.

Le Saboteur

JasonMa said:
The Explorers Lodge is likely our top pick. We're still in the research stage right now, no decisions have been made. We figured on 2 days in the park and another 2-3 in Hong Kong itself.

Oddly enough, aside from a possible allusion in the lobby, I don't think there's any mention of Indiana Jones throughout the entire hotel. It's strictly themed around the Fab 5 and the attendant characters in their home regions.

If you want any advice, feel free to ask!

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
$99 for 11 months seems affordable. (Prices may have changed.)

117735_800.jpg

117826_800.jpg

TheFedora

Moedred said:
$99 for 11 months seems affordable. (Prices may have changed.)

117735_800.jpg

117826_800.jpg

I would happily do an annual pass for a hundred bucks or a premium pass with no blackout dates for 200 these days...

The same pass prices in 2017:

Southern California residents special pass: 330 dollars
Regular annual pass :619 Dollars
Premium annual pass, no blackout dates: 1050 dollars.

Fortune and glory kid. Fortune and Glory. :whip:

JasonMa

Still not high enough.

One of Disneyland's biggest problems is too many pass holders. It makes it so the "off-season" is actually more crowded than the vacation season (when many pass holders are blacked out).

Those prices look expensive, but now when you consider a local who can go weekly (or more). Then they're still a bargain.