who in the hell did mutt stab?

Gustav

No Ticket said:
See... that right there is the most interesting thing about Mutt that we could've heard and developed on. KOTCS missed the mark here and what really sucks is they obviously even HAD the idea in mind whilst shooting.

Tsk tsk tsk.

This would've been great if the film had focused on Mutt's tough-guy image being revealed to Indy as a front and that he never did anything like that before but Indy obviously has. Then by the time he fights Spalko... he has "grown up" into a much more Indy-like tough guy.

This would've been a lot more interesting. And it's a shame they didn't do that.

I think that's a brilliant idea, but maybe Indy should have just called him out on it. After Mutt stabs the cemetary warrior, he's in shock from what he has done so Indy says something to drive the reality of the situation into Mutt's head -they're not playing around- and then Indy later repeats it before the big chase and fight with Spalko and company to remind Mutt; and this is the source of Mutt's sincere fight with Spalko.

It would have been the most serious part of the movie, but I think the film could benefit from that. It would have added to Mutt's character and also a little more of a sense of urgency, kind of like the part in LC when Henry Sr. is sitting in the sidecar of the motorcycle and is impressing upon Indy (I don't remember exactly what he says) how dangerous the grail would be in the nazis' hands and why it's so important to stop them.

Last edited:

Crack that whip

deckard24 said:
I don't know what the point was of giving him the knife in the first place if he never got to use it?! By showing us how proficient he was with twirling it around, they alluded that we would have at least a scene where he'd actually used it in a fight.

Can you imagine if Indy just carried his whip around, and instead of using it to fight with or swing from point a to b, he just pulled it out every once and a while to just practice a few lashes? LOL

Perhaps, but when the other scenes of Mutt twirling his knife were shot, they were still planning on having it used in combat. Presumably the Beards decided during the editing process to omit those moments, for whatever reason... and I don't think it necessarily has anything to do with wanting not to scare 8-year-olds. :rolleyes: There's plenty of other stuff in the movie that's "scarier" than that, anyway (Spalko's demise, for one).

Remember, there's all sorts of other material that gets cut out of these movies, too, even when we think it might have really benefitted the movies for the deleted moments to stay in, not just with this movie but with all four - Stanforth's "young man" dialogue with Indy, Indy's sub ride, Shorty's discovery of the effects of burning on Kali "sleepers," Indy's observations about Hindus not eating meat, and so on. Quite possibly it was just cut for time. I seriously don't think there was some sort of conscious effort by the filmmakers to make this latest Indy adventure the first one ever in which Indy doesn't shoot anyone, say, or in which his companions don't kill. I can see the older Spielberg and Lucas' sensibilities perhaps playing some role, but I don't think they were specifically trying to make a markedly "softer" movie.

Olliana

I think blowing the poison dart backwards down the cemetery warriors throat is a much better idea and way more cruel/badass than just shooting at this son of a *****. :gun:

Randy_Flagg

Mutt carrying the knife around was as pointless as him bringing his motorcycle to Peru. BOTH should have been used-- the motorcycle should have been used in the jungle chase sequence, and yes, Mutt should have used the knife to at LEAST threaten a bad guy (though I like the previous suggestions about him having a coming-of-age experience after stabbing somebody.)

Ska

Randy_Flagg said:
Mutt carrying the knife around was as pointless as him bringing his motorcycle to Peru. BOTH should have been used-- the motorcycle should have been used in the jungle chase sequence, and yes, Mutt should have used the knife to at LEAST threaten a bad guy (though I like the previous suggestions about him having a coming-of-age experience after stabbing somebody.)

Yes.

Same with having a huge machine with two menacing blades in the front of it and all it does is cut down trees and blow up.

Randy_Flagg

Ska said:
Yes.

Same with having a huge machine with two menacing blades in the front of it and all it does is cut down trees and blow up.

Good point. I kind of forgot about that tree-cutter, but yeah, it could have made for a good action sequence.

And, sort of related, did Spalko have mind-reading powers or not? If she didn't, the topic shouldn't have ever been introduced. If she did that power, she should have used it.
I'm not one of the people who hates KOTCS, I think it's enjoyable enough, but it had a bad habit of introducing stuff that COULD have been good, and then just not following through with it. It almost feels like it was written by a kid with a short attention span.

Lao_Che

Randy_Flagg said:
And, sort of related, did Spalko have mind-reading powers or not? If she didn't, the topic shouldn't have ever been introduced. If she did that power, she should have used it.

The moment she demonstrated her powers on Mac was cut from the film but it was still ambiguous...

I don't think there was no worth in suggesting she was psychic. She could have been incredibly threatening if, say, she thought she was psychic and was also paranoid.

As is, I just think of that bit in Lego Indiana Jones 2 where she shuts her eyes to 'psychically' open the hangar doors and the soldiers do it for her. ;)

fenris

Funny how someone mentioned the ninja turtles earlier...

One of the cemetery warriors was in fact a ninja turtle; Ernie Reyes Jr. He was one of the stuntmen inside the suit of one of the turtles. Hehe.

Since someone also mentioned the blowgun killing, how the hell could that work??? The pointy end isn't aimed at the warrior. When Indy blew on it the dart's tail wouldn't have punctured and killed him at all. He could've choked on it probably, but I doubt it would puncture his throat.