The Haters thread

Darth Vile

Henry W Jones said:
Also while I like YIJC it ruins the character for me even more. Flannery is the worst at potraying Indy. He comes of as such a clown in the show. I really enjoy some of the episodes especially the really young Indy (no Flannery), but that show should have been way better and I'm not surprised it was cancelled so fast. My second Indy disappointment.

Was it cancelled so fast? I thought it got a decent enough run (but maybe my memory is not what it was). I personally thought that the YIJC was a really bold show... and was much more about the leading characters interaction with history/historical events than it was about gun fights and explosions. That was of course part of the shows problems, in that it was too clever and too removed from the movies at times. But overall, given that the show existed in a time where even TV shows with money looked cheap in comparison to movies, I thought they did extremely well with it.

Henry W Jones

Darth Vile said:
Was it cancelled so fast? I thought it got a decent enough run (but maybe my memory is not what it was). I personally thought that the YIJC was a really bold show... and was much more about the leading characters interaction with history/historical events than it was about gun fights and explosions. That was of course part of the shows problems, in that it was too clever and too removed from the movies at times. But overall, given that the show existed in a time where even TV shows with money looked cheap in comparison to movies, I thought they did extremely well with it.

I don't dislike the show. Just Flannery as Indy. And if I'm correct the show ran two years and was cancelled due to lack of viewers. (Two seasons is a short run) The show is good on a lot of levels but to me Flannery makes a mockery of the character. Unfortunately since the show is about Indy, it is ruined for me by his portrayal as Indy. Also the writing for the character is out of character for Indy as well. The show is done well as far as production value.

It's wallet-raping, tame, confusing, boring bollocks. With cgi monkeys and gophers and Indiana Jones getting in a fridge and surviving a nuclear blast.

For the sake of future humanity, the film should be buried deep under the desert in a plastic ark.

Henry W Jones

Montana Smith said:
...apart from the snake in the sandpit, that is!

Not even that. Nothing;)

I know what you mean but at least it's not some CGI fake looking BS. Swinging with monkeys goes way too far for me

Montana Smith

Henry W Jones said:
Not even that. Nothing;)

I know what you mean but at least it's not some CGI fake looking BS. Swinging with monkeys goes way too far for me

Yes, that really was a full-on cartoon excursion! That Lucas and Spielberg thought it would be a good idea is one of the factors that makes me afraid of the possibility of #5.

Henry W Jones

Montana Smith said:
Yes, that really was a full-on cartoon excursion! That Lucas and Spielberg thought it would be a good idea is one of the factors that makes me afraid of the possibility of #5.

That whole truck scene was a let down. My all time favorite Indy moment is the truck chase in Raiders and when the scene started in KOTCS I got excited. But in the word of Comic Book Guy "worst scene ever." The rest of the stuff in the movie worked for the most part in my opinion. (Though it could have been better) Hopefully if 5 is made reviews of 4 and forums like these will be taken into consideration.

Dr.Jonesy

replican't said:
It's wallet-raping, tame, confusing, boring bollocks. With cgi monkeys and gophers and Indiana Jones getting in a fridge and surviving a nuclear blast.

For the sake of future humanity, the film should be buried deep under the desert in a plastic ark.

lol I love angry, over dramatic fanboy nerd rage
:D :D

JP Jones

Dr.Jonesy said:
I know I posted this clip in another forum, but here's all the haters!

:p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKeqD8w2fb0

:hat:
What that shows is that actual moviegoers, who don't have any pre-concieved notions about George Lucas or CGI, can simply go to a movie and enjoy it. It's so pathetic the nerds who pick movies like this apart. Just watch the thing with an open mind, and you'll like it.

Instead of screaming your virtual lungs out on a message board about how those monkey's ruined the movie, just laugh at how silly they are and move on. There's a reason why some people are just happier when they see movies.(y)

Montana Smith

JP Jones said:
What that shows is that actual moviegoers, who don't have any pre-concieved notions about George Lucas or CGI, can simply go to a movie and enjoy it. It's so pathetic the nerds who pick movies like this apart. Just watch the thing with an open mind, and you'll like it.

Instead of screaming your virtual lungs out on a message board about how those monkey's ruined the movie, just laugh at how silly they are and move on. There's a reason why some people are just happier when they see movies.(y)

But that's just it. The original Indy trilogy had it's silly moments, but it also had a higher level of sophistication, especially in script and characterization. For the most part there were characters to care about, but with KOTCS they become superficial to the spectacle. By comparison #4 feels hollow, which is frustrating because it had so much potential.

JP Jones

Montana Smith said:
But that's just it. The original Indy trilogy had it's silly moments, but it also had a higher level of sophistication, especially in script and characterization. For the most part there were characters to care about, but with KOTCS they become superficial to the spectacle. By comparison #4 feels hollow, which is frustrating because it had so much potential.
Well that's your opinion. I personally don't care in the least about a "sophisticated" script and characters. Did the old 30s serials have that or the 50s B-movies. No. If your getting "sophistication" from any of the Indy movies, your not getting the point of them. They're good innocent fun, there is no reason for any of them to win any Oscars. People such as yourself regard them (first 3) as masterpieces of filmmaking, when all they are is very fun, yet juvenile movies.

The Drifter

I don't know which is more fun to read. The nerd-rage over the film where the poster tears apart every damn scene and cries to the Heavens that it's not Raiders, or the defenders who wonder why there is so much hate, yet can't accept the fact that people have differing opinions.

I for one tend to stay outta these sort of topics. I don't blindly love the movie, nor do I rage and hate it.
I enjoy it, but also see it's many flaws. My ass is sitting firmly on the middle of the fence with it.

So, to what point is the back-and-forth jabbering of hate it/love it getting to? You can state your take on it until you're blue in the face, but it won't sway anyone else's take on it.

The Drifter said:
So, to what point is the back-and-forth jabbering of hate it/love it getting to? You can state your take on it until you're blue in the face, but it won't sway anyone else's take on it.

Well, there have been a couple of interesting insights and its always curious to know where someone is coming from, good, bad or ugly. The repitition is my stumbling block. Like Sharkey in some respects, reading the thread might help on occation.

JP Jones

The Drifter said:
I don't know which is more fun to read. The nerd-rage over the film where the poster tears apart every damn scene and cries to the Heavens that it's not Raiders, or the defenders who wonder why there is so much hate, yet can't accept the fact that people have differing opinions.

I for one tend to stay outta these sort of topics. I don't blindly love the movie, nor do I rage and hate it.
I enjoy it, but also see it's many flaws. My ass is sitting firmly on the middle of the fence with it.

You have a way of ENDING discussions on a message board don't you? I was discussing in my last post, not ranting as you make it seem. I'm not trying to change opinions either, I'm only presenting a different point of view, which is that the movies should be viewed as innocent fun rather than masterful filmmaking. Just telling you Drifter, my "defending" days are over. I know the big-time film buffs here aren't going to stop analyzing the movie, and the fanboys will continue there "George Lucas Sucks" shtick, but I enjoy the movie and sometimes I like to discuss it. Thank you.

Last edited:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
JP Jones said:
You have a way of ENDING discussions on a message board don't you. I was discussing in my last post, not ranting as you make it seem. I'm not trying to change opinions either, I'm only presenting a different point of view, which is that the movies should be viewed as innocent fun rather than masterful filmmaking. Just telling you Drifter, my "defending" days are over. I know the big-time film buffs here aren't going to stop analyzing the movie, and the fanboys will continue there "George Lucas Sucks" shtick, but I enjoy the movie and sometimes I like to discuss it. Thak you.

I think you've got to have some room for understanding where The Drifter is coming from, though. It's not like anyone's constructing grand theses about how Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is an allegory for the European colonization of the Americas, or subscribing to the old "Reaganite entertainment" charges that are lain at the feet of the earlier films. But I don't get why someone would want to discuss the movies on a forum such as this without delving further into them and treating them as worthy of such consideration. Otherwise, doesn't it just feel like a waste of time?

The Drifter

JP Jones said:
You have a way of ENDING discussions on a message board don't you? I was discussing in my last post, not ranting as you make it seem. I'm not trying to change opinions either, I'm only presenting a different point of view, which is that the movies should be viewed as innocent fun rather than masterful filmmaking. Just telling you Drifter, my "defending" days are over. I know the big-time film buffs here aren't going to stop analyzing the movie, and the fanboys will continue there "George Lucas Sucks" shtick, but I enjoy the movie and sometimes I like to discuss it. Thank you.

I'm not trying to end anything. You are free to discuss how you feel regarding the film and it's "fans", and so am I.

I'm sorry if you didn't like what I posted, but the way you are preaching about how someone should watch the movie is just as bad as those who hate it without a valid reason.

People can watch a movie any way that they please. There is no right or wrong way to watch a movie.

The Drifter said:
There is no right or wrong way to watch a movie.
Well, I would get girls who were hot for my jock to meet me during the day at some of the WORST films. Needless to say I was the only one "watching." I think that's a great way to watch a movie...some might not agree.(y)