Disney eyeing Chris Pratt

Silvor

indytim said:
Exactly. Harrison Ford's participation in the new Star Wars was only ever planned as a cameo. The same goes for the other original cast members. They're simply in there for continuity. Don't expect to see him in Episode VIII or beyond. I anticipate seeing Han and Chewy going out Butch and Sundance style this Christmas.
This isn't true.
He is one of the leads in the new movie. Basically all of the rumors have stated this.
It's even being described as Fords movie. I'm 100% sure it's not a cameo at all.

Randy_Flagg

Silvor said:
This isn't true.
He is one of the leads in the new movie. Basically all of the rumors have stated this.
It's even being described as Fords movie. I'm 100% sure it's not a cameo at all.

It's more than a cameo, I agree, but he's not THE lead, as he would be expected to be in an Indy movie. He's part of an ensemble. Plus, Han was never as physically active as Indy. He spent most of ESB sitting down in the Falcon's cockpit... there's no reason at all a 72 year old can't do that. Indy, on the other hand, should be leaping from horses, dragged behind trucks, swinging on ropes/whips, getting into fistfights, etc, etc. And a 72 year old simply can't/shouldn't do those things. Sure, the film makers could do it with special effects (CGI, head-replacement, etc), just like they had Christopher Lee fighting in the SW prequels, but do we really want that? I don't, and I don't think many other people do either. Nor do I think many people want an Indy movie that lacks action simply because the leading man is too old to partake in the action. So, regrettably, that means the only way to make another good Indy movie is to find a new leading man.

Anyway, aside from Harrison's age, there's also the time period to consider. If Harrison is cast, the movie would have to take place in the 1960s, at least... more likely the 1970s. Does that time period really work for an Indy movie? For me, it wouldn't. It's too modern, and it would lose some of the charm that we got from the 1930s setting.

Silvor

Randy_Flagg said:
It's more than a cameo, I agree, but he's not THE lead, as he would be expected to be in an Indy movie. He's part of an ensemble. Plus, Han was never as physically active as Indy. He spent most of ESB sitting down in the Falcon's cockpit... there's no reason at all a 72 year old can't do that. Indy, on the other hand, should be leaping from horses, dragged behind trucks, swinging on ropes/whips, getting into fistfights, etc, etc. And a 72 year old simply can't/shouldn't do those things. Sure, the film makers could do it with special effects (CGI, head-replacement, etc), just like they had Christopher Lee fighting in the SW prequels, but do we really want that? I don't, and I don't think many other people do either. Nor do I think many people want an Indy movie that lacks action simply because the leading man is too old to partake in the action. So, regrettably, that means the only way to make another good Indy movie is to find a new leading man.

Anyway, aside from Harrison's age, there's also the time period to consider. If Harrison is cast, the movie would have to take place in the 1960s, at least... more likely the 1970s. Does that time period really work for an Indy movie? For me, it wouldn't. It's too modern, and it would lose some of the charm that we got from the 1930s setting.
I don't get what so many people have against an older person being a little physically active in a heroic fashion.
Indy grows old just like the rest of us, there's no rule stating that he has to be in his 30's forever.

Of course they wouldn't cgi a digital Ford doing backflips and other stuff. Do you honestly think Ford can't run around anymore, or throw some punches? Did Indy really do that much crazy athletic stuff?

A CGI double would just be crazy and something Ford probably wouldn't want as he enjoys the physicality of the part.

Just have Indy do what Ford can do, which I'm sure is quite a bit, he isn't exactly out of shape. Having Indy be able to still kick some ass even in old age just makes him even more awesome to me, that takes real effort!

Last edited:

Pale Horse

Staff member
Silvor said:
I don't get what so many people have against an older person being a little physically active in a heroic fashion.

A) It's requires a suspension of logic beyond the tone already set by the first 4. Brody and Henry Sr. at best threw a couple of punches but were never dragged by a truck, or swung from anything.

B) It's not an ageist discrimination or a knock against his acting chops.

C) There is no way to escape this most valid post:

Randy_Flagg said:
If Harrison is cast, the movie would have to take place in the 1960s, at least... more likely the 1970s. Does that time period really work for an Indy movie? For me, it wouldn't. It's too modern, and it would lose some of the charm that we got from the 1930s setting.

The only thing to avoid that and return to the classic serial model, is to recast and reboot the whole she-bang. You want Harry in it? Have him find the fountain of youth as an old man, and return to the 1930 after drinking the elixir, as a whole new actor.

Boom, fan boys happy, franchise investors happy, life can return to the pigeon vs. mod chess game.

Lambonius

Pale Horse said:
The only thing to avoid that and return to the classic serial model, is to recast and reboot the whole she-bang. You want Harry in it? Have him find the fountain of youth as an old man, and return to the 1930 after drinking the elixir, as a whole new actor.

I've always thought the whole Fountain of Youth idea was even sillier than "interdimensional beings." Sure, it might make him young again, but sending him back in time? Absurd.

A better way to handle it would be something similar to what the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles did--frame the main narrative with Harrison doing some storytelling; maybe even throw in a couple of Mystery of the Blues style action scenes to cap off his bookends. New actor is introduced, Harrison gets an appropriate send-off, the set-up is there for more sequels with a younger Indy.

I also don't see Chris Pratt doing the character any kind of real justice. His usual comedic timing and silly tone is all wrong for Indy. I'd rather see them go with a newcomer who'd be less recognizable than Pratt.

Duaner

Lambonius said:
I also don't see Chris Pratt doing the character any kind of real justice. His usual comedic timing and silly tone is all wrong for Indy. I'd rather see them go with a newcomer who'd be less recognizable than Pratt.

I like Pratt better than some suggestions, but I'm starting to think a lesser-known actor would be a good idea. Garrett Hedlund or Robbie Amell are two guys that I think would do well.

Z dweller

Pale Horse said:
The only thing to avoid that and return to the classic serial model, is to recast and reboot the whole she-bang.
Yep, and that is precisely what Disney will do, you can bet the farm on it.

The only open question is: will Harry be smart enough to accept a cameo or bookend part?

I am inclined to believe he will.

Olliana

Silvor said:
Just have Indy do what Ford can do, which I'm sure is quite a bit, he isn't exactly out of shape. Having Indy be able to still kick some ass even in old age just makes him even more awesome to me, that takes real effort!

That's a very good point I haven't even thought about. You are right, if Ford can do kickass stuff in real life, Indy can do just as much on screen. The plane crash is the perfect evidence. Maybe Lucas was right about the possibility of surviving a nuclear blast in a fridge after all ;)

He's not right for it. Way to much of a clown. Does not have that dry sledgehammer wit. Plus all the other components the character as he can't do it justice. It's just because he the flavour of the month bit sad.

indytim

Túrin Turambar said:
He's not right for it. Way to much of a clown. Does not have that dry sledgehammer wit. Plus all the other components the character as he can't do it justice. It's just because he the flavour of the month bit sad.

And what are you basing this on? Surely not just his performances in 'Parks and Recreation' and 'Guardians of the Galaxy'? You do realise he's an actor working from a script that dictates his character's persona?

By your logic that means that Robin Williams should never have been in 'Dead Poets Society' or 'Good Will Hunting', Bill Murray shouldn't have been cast in 'Lost In Translation' or Jim Carrey was totally wrong for 'Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind'?

Wait until everyone has seen 'Jurassic World'. I believe that may change your mind.

JasonMa

I'm waiting to see how he handles the more action-oriented Jurassic world, but even there the previews make it seem he's still going to have that goofy comedy side he's been cast with recently.

foreignerfred

I know we look at everything through Indy-colored eyes, but I really do feel like this movie is doing its best to make an Indy connection.

Do you guys think the running stars of these posters look similar?

http://i.imgur.com/OtpIbXk.jpg

Indiana-Jones-and-the-Kingdom-of-the-Crystal-Skull.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr. Gonzo

foreignerfred said:
I know we look at everything through Indy-colored eyes, but I really do feel like this movie is doing its best to make an Indy connection.

Do you guys think the running stars of these posters look similar?

"Oh, you're jumping at shadows..."

Hope they down pick him but sounds like Disney have him in mind. He's the wrong guy big clown he can't act straight there's ways that kid playing around when u see him. Ill do it.

Finn

Staff member
indytim said:
And what are you basing this on? Surely not just his performances in 'Parks and Recreation' and 'Guardians of the Galaxy'? You do realise he's an actor working from a script that dictates his character's persona?
This, pretty much. It's simply wrong to see he can't act straight if you have not seen him act straight.

However, it's simply wrong to say he can act straight as well if this is all the evidence we have.

Rather than veer into childish, baseless claims such as "he's just a big goofball" we should be discussing whether it's correct to pick a lead man who's got little previous experience of playing the type required. Not because he's a supposed goofball, but because it's a gamble.

My personal stance to things like these is that I don't really mind either way, as long as it's not my money.

indytim

Finn said:
This, pretty much. It's simply wrong to see he can't act straight if you have not seen him act straight.

However, it's simply wrong to say he can act straight as well if this is all the evidence we have.

Indeed. Right now, the casting of Chris Pratt as Indy is something of a Schrödinger's cat scenario. Hopefully Jurassic World will enlighten us all.

He won't get it. He's doing 5 more guardian film next, then they must milk the jurassic world series dry. Harry can be goofball and a joker but extremely straight serious. But pratt will always be a goof a big kid basically. I've known the type all my life.

Finn

Staff member
Túrin Turambar said:
He won't get it. He's doing 5 more guardian film next, then they must milk the jurassic world series dry.
You're clinging onto preoccupation now, I see.

As I seem to recall, there was this guy in the 80s who was Indiana Jones, Han Solo, Rick Deckard, Jack Ryan - and then a bunch - more or less at the same time.

You don't like the idea, we get that. But clinging onto whatever subjective points you think are speaking against it won't make it happening any less likely. If Disney has his eyes on him, they'll have him, and no kicking and screaming can change that. But of course it's not like he's the only option. There are plenty of gruff action hero type actors out there who can ultimately land the role.

Only thing I could more or less bet money on is that the top billing won't go to Harrison Ford.

wombocombo

Following the thread of other 'gruff' actors who are taking multiple roles I wonder if Chris Pine is on their list - who I also believed played Jack Ryan?