Top Two IJ Movies

Favorite Two IJ Movies?

• Total voters

Temple Raider

Which are your two favorite Indiana Jones movies and why? I know we've had many favorite Indy movie threads before but this one is different in the sense it's asking for your top two favorites and also to specify (even if only briefly) why they're your favorites.

For me, Raiders and TOD are my top two favorites. Raiders is the original and without it, we wouldn't have the series. It's lightning in a bottle and everything about it works. It introduces Indy and what he's about, has action scenes that still hold up like the rolling boulder, the tavern shoot-out, the truck chase, etc. and other great moments such as the opening of the Ark. And besides Indy there's other great characters in it too such as Marion, Sallah, Belloq, Toht, etc. and it's still a movie that every time you watch it you feel like you've watched a rare one-of-a-kind masterpiece that still holds up and never fails to entertain.

TOD is my other favorite. I know TOD is sometimes polarizing among some fans, but for me it was my introduction to Indy and I still think of TOD and ROTLA as being the films that most define Indy and who he is and why he's the best at what he does. TOD for me is just as exciting and thrilling as Raiders, but I admire that it does something different by having new villains and a new artifact for Indy to pursue and also a new setting. I always dug the much darker and ominous tone it has compared to the others, which IMO gives the movie a sense of danger the others bar ROTLA don't have for me. I feel it also has the best musical score of the series, the best action scenes (especially the mine cart chase) and the best villain in Mola Ram as well as the best version of Indy. He's as hardcore as they come in TOD but we still see his tender side with his relationship with Short Round as well as his transition from simply wanting the Sankara Stones for fame, and then deciding to genuinely want to free the slave children. I feel TOD is the movie where Indy makes the official transition from simply being a cool adventurer to a true hero. Raiders and TOD are both different from each other but they work the best for those reasons. Raiders establishes the classic formula while TOD shows Indy can work just as well when his enemies, environment, etc. are different from before.

I love TLC and KOTCS as well (the latter of which I've grown to tremendously enjoy and like more with repeat watches), but Raiders and TOD are my favorites and the ones that define Indy for me. I think TLC and KOTCS make great bonus adventures and companions to these two, with TLC having Indy with his father who have tremendous chemistry together and KOTCS I've grown to like because in addition to seeing Indy back for the first time in so long, I actually really like the usage and inclusion of aliens and felt it was something creative and different for the series. I feel these two even work together well in the same way Raiders and TOD go well together; want Indy against Nazis again and pursuing a Biblical relic and this time with a sidekick? TLC fits that bill. Want something more akin to TOD with Indy against different enemies and after a completely different type of artifact? KOTCS works in that regard.

I'm sure most will probably vote for Raiders and TLC as their top two but it's not that uncommon to find those who occasionally have their top two the other way around, ie. Raiders and TOD, TOD and TLC, etc. and it should be interesting to see the responses this thread gets :)

IndyJoey

I voted for Raiders and Crusade. Raiders is the best because its the start of Indy. It has everything i could have ever wanted, and it's the most realistic out of all of the movies. It introduces Indy and what we know him by, and the action in it is in my opinion the best out of all of the movies. Crusade is my other favorite because it adds so much more depth to the character, and it is the movie that got me started. Crusade shows us so much about indy, about his childhood, his fear of snakes, even where he got his hat... Thats mainly why i chose ROTLA and TLC

Mickiana

There wasn't a Raiders and Raiders option, so I chose Raiders and Crusade. I don't mind ToD, but Raiders is the only true Indy movie (my opinion - I don't want an argument) and Crusade is closest to Raiders.

Le Saboteur

How many of these polls are there going to be?

Since I loathe Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and only sort of like The Last Crusade, my preferences should be obvious.

Mickiana

replican't said:
Indiana Jones and the Scraping Of The Barrel Re-tread List Making Thread.

Like good archaeologists, we are willing to dig through the bottom of the barrel. Where's an emoticon with a shovel?!:p

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
If Kingdom has been loathed by the majority of people how come it is among the top Indy films? :confused:

Vance

Sakis said:
If Kingdom has been loathed by the majority of people how come it is among the top Indy films? :confused:

Let's see, the two least popular flims, by most accounts, get an overwhelming majority in this poll. I'm thinking that we've got ourselves a vote right out of the Chicago Political Machine here... but that's just me.

Montana Smith

Vance said:
Let's see, the two least popular flims, by most accounts, get an overwhelming majority in this poll. I'm thinking that we've got ourselves a vote right out of the Chicago Political Machine here... but that's just me.

39 anonymous votes.

Either the voting system just can't cope with 39 names, or there's a certain Machiavellian at work...