3:10 to Yuma

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Looks like they're making this one more action-oriented which...eh, ok, but it looks like it might be good action, so it might work out fine. I'd only seen the original once, but it was such a talky picture, and I was quite impressed by it. This could be good.

San Holo

I agree, the original had so much witty dialogue that made the movie-hopefullt the remake will retain the verbal sparring and improve on the action. I'm just excited to see that they are still making westerns;)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Yeah, I absolutely agree on that point. I've been a Western fan for a few years now, and the genre just blows me away in terms of thematic richness you might not expect to find. A lot of that is Ford, sure, but also Leone, Peckinpah, Eastwood, Hawks, along with more isolated films like Shane, High Noon, and the like. Even the Clint Eastwood/Lee Marvin musical Paint Your Wagon has a great script that's basically about civilization.

With that said, I confess that I didn't see Open Range.

San Holo

Check out Open Range- it's a great movie and one of Costner's best performances-Robert Duvall is awesome at just about everything he does.

I know you are a Searchers fan, what did you think about the Missing, with Tommy Lee Jones?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
San Holo said:
Check out Open Range- it's a great movie and one of Costner's best performances-Robert Duvall is awesome at just about everything he does.

I know you are a Searchers fan, what did you think about the Missing, with Tommy Lee Jones?

I was trying to think of the title of that one, as it's the other Western from the past couple years that I didn't see. Speaking of Jones, did you see The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada? That got some great reviews.

Agreed about Duvall. He can't go wrong.

Niteshade007

There are only two Westerns that I thoroughly enjoy, and that's High Noon and the TV mini series Lonesome Dove, which had an all star cast including Robert Duvall, Tommy Lee Jones (both excellent in those roles), Diane Lane, Angelica Huston, Ricky Schroeder, and a whole slew of others including Glenne Headley and Steve Buscemi. Even though it is six hours long, it is absolutely brilliant and exciting, one definitely worth watching. As far as this one goes, I have not seen the original, but I love witty dialogue, so perhaps I will try to find it.

San Holo

Attila the Professor said:
I was trying to think of the title of that one, as it's the other Western from the past couple years that I didn't see. Speaking of Jones, did you see The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada? That got some great reviews.

Agreed about Duvall. He can't go wrong.
I have been procrastinating about the Three Burials, I love me some Tommy Lee-it was one I wanted to see at the movies and never did..I'm gonna try to get it soon. I would highly recommend the Missing-it's pretty darn good for a Searchers rip and is probably one of Cate Blanchett's best roles.

Niteshade007- You are very correct in saying that Lonesome Dove is a masterpiece-great movie(y)

oki9Sedo

Attila the Professor said:
Yeah, I absolutely agree on that point. I've been a Western fan for a few years now, and the genre just blows me away in terms of thematic richness you might not expect to find. A lot of that is Ford, sure, but also Leone, Peckinpah, Eastwood, Hawks, along with more isolated films like Shane, High Noon, and the like. Even the Clint Eastwood/Lee Marvin musical Paint Your Wagon has a great script that's basically about civilization.

With that said, I confess that I didn't see Open Range.

Agreed. I recently read in Total Film magazine that Michael Mann is interested in doing a film about the true story that inspired The Searchers. I'm very interested. Michael Mann and Mel Gibson are the only two mainstream American directors who have this ability to intimately display involving characters and do the epic stuff at the same time.

Open Range is a good film and well worth seeing by the way.

Baron Brunwald

Easily one of the best westerns ever made, and possibly the best movie of 2007. Everybody should go see it as soon as possible.

Excellent movie. 10/10.:gun:

HovitosKing

Just saw it today--amazing. Best movie of the year, maybe the last few years. Certainly my new favorite western...Don't miss this one.

Last edited:
Was gonna see it last night...

...then it was brought to my attention that it was a remake of an old John Ford film.

Won't see it now.

...at least not until I see the original, but even then I likely won't see it. I'm not in the habit of spending money on remakes regardless of what they are. We keep buying, they keep making. Everyone's complaining about the remakes... well stop seeing them! :gun:

No Ticket

I've heard nothing but good things about it so far... which has surprised me. So I might just go see it.

Ok, correction--I just IMDbed it... seems my buddy was confused--it's directed by Delmer Daves, not John Ford. Though it does star Glenn Ford... maybe that's where my buddy got mixed up.

Any rate, yeah... won't see it.

And it's a shame too because I adore Christian Bale as an actor. I just have this moral stance against paying for any sort of remake. There have only been a few exceptions I've made. Especially from the latest crop of remakes.

Kingsley

I can accept a remake if it makes a new lecture about that what the original was about, if it has a personal input from the people who makes it.

And a good western is something that comes seldom, I'm not missing it.
At this moment, Christian Bale is almost guarantee of good film. Russel Crowe not (I remember a "western" with him, Sharon Stone and Leo DiCaprio), but he has some gems in his career, and I hope this to be another.

HovitosKing

ResidentAlien said:
I just have this moral stance against paying for any sort of remake.

Seriously? A moral stance? I guess I just don't possess that moral superiority you seem to exude. Stop whining and go see it. Or just find another thread and stop bogging this one down with irrelevance.

All movies are remakes....

Not going to see 'remakes' is like saying you won't go see colour movies... or talkies....

"I remember a "western" with him, Sharon Stone and Leo DiCaprio"
The Quick & The Dead... a BUCKET of fun!

"a good western is something that comes seldom"
Has there been one since Unforgiven? (It was made-for-tv in 1999, but The Jack Bull was DAMN good too!)

HovitosKing said:
Seriously? A moral stance? I guess I just don't possess that moral superiority you seem to exude. Stop whining and go see it. Or just find another thread and stop bogging this one down with irrelevance.

Oh smarminess! Gotta love *******s being *******s on things they don't understand.

Yes, a moral stance. The moral being that it's pure economics baby. Morally I think it's wrong to debase and distill art to it's elemental structure. Morally I have objections to destroying someone else's piece of work for your own quick profit. See, in economics... if the consumer buys it... the producer will continue to produce it...

...not a hard concept.

Quit being an ass on things you have no clue about.

Katarn07

Remakes can be good, if not better, than the original work they're based on. You're really missing out on a lot of good flicks if you refused to watch any remake. As Clint pointed out, all movies are more or less remakes. Heck, Star Wars is just a reimaginging of every Kirosawa film and Flash Gordon serial. Did you take a moral stance against that one too? Also, they're not making this movie for a quick profit. You yourself didn't know that this was a remake right away. Many casual moviegoers won't know that either. Once they find out, maybe they'll go to the trouble of seeing the original which they otherwise wouldn't have seen. Who's being an ignorant now?

As for this film, it's Maximus vs Batman in the old west. What's not to love? Generally I hate westerns, but I'll be willing to give this one a whirl. I love Christian Bale and Russel Crowe was awesome in Gladiator.