Spear of Destiny?

WillKill4Food

The one in the figure packs (and I suppose the comics) looks like this:
Heilige_Lanze_02.JPG

but isn't that a little grand for a random centurion's spear?
They're probably all fakes.

Nurhachi1991

Yeah thats what I was thinking as well.... My friend got me the Mutt figure for my B-day and I was going how did they know what the spear looked like. To be honest I always thought the spear was a myth

has the image you posted been proven or anything?

WillKill4Food

Nurhachi1991 said:
Yeah thats what I was thinking as well.... My friend got me the Mutt figure for my B-day and I was going how did they know what the spear looked like. To be honest I always thought the spear was a myth
has the image you posted been proven or anything?
Did you read the article? Try that, then we'll talk.

robweiner8

I've actually written a book about the Lance.. (unpublished)
The relic in Vienna has been dated to 8th century... could have been in the possession of Charlemagne but had nothing to do with Jesus.
There is a spear in the Vatican which very little is known about, and the Church makes no claim to its authenticity as the Holy Lance. There is also a "spearhead" in an Armenian Church. Most people think this is actually the head of a flagpole and never was a lance in the first place. This is thought (certianly not known to be the relic discovered by Crusaders in Antioch in 1098.
So, it is highly unlikely any of the Lances in the public access today once stabbed Christ.
I'm happy to say more if anyone cares to read...

Nurhachi1991

robweiner8 said:
I've actually written a book about the Lance.. (unpublished)
The relic in Vienna has been dated to 8th century... could have been in the possession of Charlemagne but had nothing to do with Jesus.
There is a spear in the Vatican which very little is known about, and the Church makes no claim to its authenticity as the Holy Lance. There is also a "spearhead" in an Armenian Church. Most people think this is actually the head of a flagpole and never was a lance in the first place. This is thought (certianly not known to be the relic discovered by Crusaders in Antioch in 1098.
So, it is highly unlikely any of the Lances in the public access today once stabbed Christ.
I'm happy to say more if anyone cares to read...

Thanks Rob thats all I wanted was a simple straight answer.

The Tingler

The one pictured is the most interesting, because it was actually captured by the Nazis and delivered to Hitler! It's pretty much the whole basis for the Nazis-going-after-biblical-artifacts idea behind Raiders of the Lost Ark!

Obviously it didn't work the way the Ark of the Covenant and the Holy Grail were supposed to...

China Jim

the spear of destiny/or the spear of Longinus

Any one really interested in this so-called relic would be best suited to go to the history ,com web site or the national geographic web site and input the terms stated in the title heading you will have the most up to date info on the subject.:whip:

otto rahn

The Tingler said:
The one pictured is the most interesting, because it was actually captured by the Nazis and delivered to Hitler! It's pretty much the whole basis for the Nazis-going-after-biblical-artifacts idea behind Raiders of the Lost Ark!

Obviously it didn't work the way the Ark of the Covenant and the Holy Grail were supposed to...
Trevor Ravenscroft has much to answer for methinks !:p

China Jim

Spear of Destiny /Holy Grail

In the Grail Sagas written during the 15th or 16th century I think Parcifal or Percival in the Fisher Kings castle finds the spear If I remember correctly it was dripping blood used to heal the fisher king Check it out. Concerning Ravenscroft I believe I read one of his books about Nazi bases at the south pole and the ark or grail or something like that. I found it in a library in Conroe Texas the Woodlands area to be more exact Fun read allot of pablum though.(n)

China Jim

Spear of Destiny /Holy Grail

Guys I am going to make a attempt to synthesis and write a readers digest version of the info I have gathered on the spear of destiny. In doing so i hope to not create a wall of words.

theneogon

Opening idea for Indy 5

I was thinking it would be cool to have a flashback to the Nazi era with a masked Indy (played by a different actor) having to steel the spear of destiny from a well guarded German Museum/Artifact Collection as a opening for a Jones movie. Indy openings are normally creative, this one would show a masked criminal breaking into a Museum. Only when the masked man uses a whip does the audience realize that the man is Indy, and only when you see swastikas will you realize that its actually a Nazi Museum /Collection filled with stolen artifacts. This opening has the flashback nature of LC, the action aspect of Raiders, and can be contrasted with the American warehouse. There can even be a spot where the Nazis planed to keep the Ark.

Obviously it needs work, but what do ya'll think of this idea?

Gear

First of all Theneogon, I like your idea. Now I'd like to somewhat elaborate on it;

It is said that the Nazi's discovered and recovered the Holy Spear and had possession of it for only some hours or a day, perhaps, but before they could deliver it to Hitler the Alies captured it. Hours later, Hitler comitted suicide.

IAdventurer01

It's been a while since I researched it, but I was nearly positive Hitler actually had it for a while and attempted to use it early on because they had it in a German museum.

Great, now I have to do some fact-checking again ... :(

Perhilion

Anyone who possesses it is invincible. But if you lose it (drop it, get it stolen, etc) then you meet an untimely death. Supposedly it also has healing powers.

robweiner8

gear guardian said:
First of all Theneogon, I like your idea. Now I'd like to somewhat elaborate on it;

It is said that the Nazi's discovered and recovered the Holy Spear and had possession of it for only some hours or a day, perhaps, but before they could deliver it to Hitler the Alies captured it. Hours later, Hitler comitted suicide.
This is false.. Lt. Walter Horn of the US Army discovered the Spear under Nurnburg fortress in July 1945. Hitler committed suicide at the end of April.

The Tingler

Did you know that the story of Hitler's real-life search for the Spear of Destiny was actually in Lawrence Kasdan's first draft for Raiders of the Lost Ark?

phatr32

Either way, the supposed spear has been checked for any signs of blood, DNA samples etc (none were found) also, the gold and fancy trimmings on the spear were put there at a later date. (I seriously doubt soldiers would have gold thread etc wrapped on the spears they use on a daily basis etc.

As much as I would love to believe it, there isn?t any actual evidence that any of those spears in the museums killed Jesus.

Steve

robweiner8

phatr32 said:
Either way, the supposed spear has been checked for any signs of blood, DNA samples etc (none were found) also, the gold and fancy trimmings on the spear were put there at a later date. (I seriously doubt soldiers would have gold thread etc wrapped on the spears they use on a daily basis etc.

As much as I would love to believe it, there isn?t any actual evidence that any of those spears in the museums killed Jesus.

Steve

I've written a book about the Lance and researched it for two years, so I thought I'd share some knowledge.
There are three relics existing today that claim the title of the Spear that pierced Jesus' side.
1. The Vienna Relic, taken from the Hofburg Palace in Vienna by Nazis. Tested in 2003, found to be from 7th century.
2. Armenia Relic, in Echmiadzin Cathedral, many believe to be head of flagpole as opposed to Spear head. No testing has ever been done.
3. Vatican Relic, kept in St. Peter's Bascilia, shown once a year (on 5th Sunday of Lent) Very little is known about it, kept under wraps by Vatican, no pictures.
4. This relic may or may not exist today, but it is worth a mention. During the 1st Crusade, the Crusaders were besieged in Antioch and suffering from lack of water, hallucinations, etc. One man said St. Andrew told him in a vision that the Holy Lance was buried in the local church. he dug there the next day, produced something that passed for a Spear, roused the Crusaders spirits, and they defeated the Muslim army the next day. Some think this is the Armenian relic.
Last thing I'll mention is that there is a story that right before the war's end, Hitler had the Lance secreted out of Germany by U-Boat to Antarctica. It proceeds to say the Nazis then made an exact copy out of a 7th century Lance, and it was this that the US troops found after the war. Pretty far-out tale, but maybe an Indy sort of thing..