Which Wine to whine about . . .

Joe Brody

Josh Cellars. What's the deal? I see it being advertised in Sports Illustrated and in other print. Is supposed to be a wine for the masses?

Pale Horse

Staff member
I'm not entirely sheltered, but I don't read rags all that much either. I can't say I've seen this ad campaign. In my corner of the world it's Stella. And it's not reflective of "craft" in any sense.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Mickiana said:
I know wines are getting up to 14.5% or maybe higher. I'm no big drinker, in fact I am a bit of a two pot screamer. At 14.5% I really feel the wine quickly. What is high for wines in your experience, Roundshort? What do you drink in California?

If shorty were a real wine drinker, he'd do CA Old Vine Zins. They can get into the 16% range :whip:

And going above that will yield Ports, Madeiras, Marsalas, and other fortified stuff approaching the 20's.

Then there are the blends. But that's where I'll let our resident barrel sniffer elucidate us. He's like Grenache on Bass, he makes his own RULES.

roundshort

Mickiana said:
I know wines are getting up to 14.5% or maybe higher. I'm no big drinker, in fact I am a bit of a two pot screamer. At 14.5% I really feel the wine quickly. What is high for wines in your experience, Roundshort? What do you drink in California?

The reality is 14.5 is the new new 13.5. In the early 2000s Aussie wines were hitting record highs and kissing 16% and it did not take California too long to do the same. In about 7 years after that regions in Spain and France were in the 16 to 17%camp. These wines didn't taste hot (overly alcoholic) for the most part, as the fruit flavors and oak flavors were elevated as well. I remember being shocked at seeing most of the classified growth Bordeaux in 09 hitting 15+. In the last few years things have settled down but not much. It is rare to see wine form any major region under 14 to 14.5.

At home the wife and I tend to stay toward more natural, lower alcohol (13 to 14%) with higher acid as they work with the food we eat. But we do crack a big boy now and again to sip while watching Temple of Doom.

Joe Brody

roundshort said:
At home the wife and I tend to stay toward more natural, lower alcohol (13 to 14%) with higher acid as they work with the food we eat. But we do crack a big boy now and again to sip while watching Temple of Doom.

What do you drink while watching Caddyshack?

(and the only right answer here is Miller Lite, right?)

roundshort

Joe Brody said:
What do you drink while watching Caddyshack?

(and the only right answer here is Miller Lite, right?)

There is NEVER a time to drink anything like miller lite unless you are underage and this is all you can obtain.

Caddyshack is not really a drinking movie it is more of a background should always be on. Maybe water?

Pale Horse

Staff member
Does this become an investment now?
brad-pitt-600.jpg

Last edited:

Pale Horse

Staff member
While I know it's not wine, I did have a very nice Disney Reserve Blanton's with a friend of mine this weekend. Call it a birthday present to myself. Apparently Disney exclusive branding on alcohol is a thing now.

rsz_35838029332_063c32e4c6_k.jpg

Their Angel's Envy at Steakhouse 55 was 'Disney's' too.

roundshort

Pale Horse said:
While I know it's not wine, I did have a very nice Disney Reserve Blanton's with a friend of mine this weekend. Call it a birthday present to myself. Apparently Disney exclusive branding on alcohol is a thing now.

rsz_35838029332_063c32e4c6_k.jpg

Their Angel's Envy at Steakhouse 55 was 'Disney's' too.

This sounds like a good night!

Pale Horse

Staff member
Okay, shorty, I really hope you get to this soon. What is the take on the wildfires that are ravaging NorCal Wine Country? What should a amateur wine collector be buying right now, and more importantly are you and yours safe?

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
My grandparents lived in Santa Rosa on the hill behind the Flamingo for 70 years, on the corner of the evacuation map. Lots of memories there but no current real estate.

roundshort

Been a hectic week here in Napa. Very long story is one of the worst wild fires in history. As of now 34ish dead, a few hundred still missing and 5,700 homes business gone. 2 Hospitals, etc. My house is ok as of now, but still in an active fire zone, with winds up 60 mph tonight and tomorrow. So looks like a few more days till I will know anything,