What is canon?

No Ticket

Finn said:
How the heck should I know? All I've seen from him is the Phantom Menace.

But that's not the point here, but the fact that is he a bad actor or not, isn't he a little... eldish to play a six-year-old? Sure Hollywood makeup can do wonders but...

I don't think he even acts anymore. And I don't really think he did that bad in TPM.

Adamwankenobi

As I said in another recent thread, it's highly unlikely that we will ever see more YIJC on film. Maybe in the form of novels or comics, but the filmed YIJC material ended in 1996 unfortunately. :(

Lucas himself confirmed this at last year's PALEY festival. During a Q&A session, someone asked him if he had any plans to continue the series, and he explained that the series was a product of its time, and that it's not something that you can just pick up again years later. Of course, that's ironic coming from Lucas, the same man who loves to re-edit (and as a result, unintentionally tarnish) his works. :rolleyes:

Mr. Z

I would most certainly think that only the films are canon, and everything else is just bonus. Seems to be the consensus here as well.

Adamwankenobi

Mr. Z said:
Seems to be the consensus here as well.

Since this is the internet, and tone doesn't come across well, understand that I say the following in the nicest way possible: Fan consensus doesn't determine what is and isn't canon. In the case of YIJC, Lucas has made it clear of many occasions that the series is canon. :)

Mr. Z

Adamwankenobi said:
Since this is the internet, and tone doesn't come across well, understand that I say the following in the nicest way possible: Fan consensus doesn't determine what is and isn't canon. In the case of YIJC, Lucas has made it clear of many occasions that the series is canon. :)

You are absolutely right about that, and I hope I didn't come across as pretentious at all. I'm sure I didn't, and I appreciate you prefacing your comment the way you did. I was applying the Star Wars logic (as far as Lucas saying only the movies are canon; everything else is EU), but now I know what the man in flannel says. He should know, so that's cool with me.

I suppose I take a Force-Cast approach, where everyone has their own canon, which isn't always the real deal, but fun in its own way. :)

NoCamels

I'd say that since the origin of Indy is on film, and the Young Indy tv show was also filmed by Lucas, (and that he's said it's canon, which would be the most compelling reason) that all of the movies and the tv show are canon. Books, video games, etc. should be considered EU, like in Star Wars.

BTW, I think Jake Lloyd was in a couple of episodes of Stargate SG-1 playing the younger reincarnation of Orlin (a character originally played by Sean Patrick Flanery). Based on what had happened to the character, he wasn't all that bad, although I still wish that Flanery's Orlin could have returned instead. :p

OmegaSeamaster

I've personally never accepted anything but the films as canon.

Not the YIJC, the comics, books or games.

Don't even ask me about the Star Wars prequels. They don't exist to me.

Moebius

as far as YIJC being canon, isn't there a guy who keeps the track of the Indiana Jones continuity (I think he also follows the Star Wars continuity, too)? What has that guy said about whats canon and what isn't? He is probably the authority.

Adamwankenobi

Moebius said:
as far as YIJC being canon, isn't there a guy who keeps the track of the Indiana Jones continuity (I think he also follows the Star Wars continuity, too)? What has that guy said about whats canon and what isn't? He is probably the authority.

Leland Chee. He runs two databases: the Holocron (for Star Wars) and the Indycron (for... uh... Indy). That's pretty much his whole job, to keep track of continuity. He posts under the name "Tasty Taste" over at the StarWars.com message boards, where he frequently answers fan questions about the Holocron and Indycron.

Cagefighterkip

some will be, but i have a feeling the stories from the show and books about the crystal skulls will either not be canon; or they'll reference the fact that indy's been after the skulls "all his life" (ala cross of coronado in TLC)

Indy's Fist

No Ticket said:
I don't think he even acts anymore. And I don't really think he did that bad in TPM.
I agree! That poor kid got slammed for TPM it's not even funny! My god compared to the other kids who tried out for the part Jake was by far the best!

WillKill4Food

Honestly, I don't see a reason why the YIJC wouldn't be canon. I've seen many of the shows on the HC and I think that some are better than the films. Please don't kill me for that...:eek:
Anyway, were I Lucas, I would call the other stories canon because the more stories there are the fewer stories exist that could be created by someone else. I mean, would a story about a guy in WWI Africa become popular now? I doubt it, because too many people would compare it to Indy. It could be a great story but it would be shot down because Indy did it first. It would be called plagiarism whether or not the other guy had ever seen Indy.

Adamwankenobi

Indy's Fist said:
I agree! That poor kid got slammed for TPM it's not even funny! My god compared to the other kids who tried out for the part Jake was by far the best!

Jake Lloyd did a pretty good job as Anakin, but it's too bad the prequels weren't filmed earlier so that Corey Carrier could have played him.

WillKill4Food said:
Honestly, I don't see a reason why the YIJC wouldn't be canon. I've seen many of the shows on the HC and I think that some are better than the films.

Indeed. :cool:

WillKill4Food said:
Anyway, were I Lucas, I would call the other stories canon because the more stories there are the fewer stories exist that could be created by someone else.

Lucas should hire several talented authors to novelize some of the unfilmed episodes. I'd like to see James Luceno get to continue his YIJC novel series beyond book one. :)

WillKill4Food

Adamwankenobi said:
Lucas should hire several talented authors to novelize some of the unfilmed episodes. I'd like to see James Luceno get to continue his YIJC novel series beyond book one. :)
Yeah, that would be great.
I hate to think that the adventures of archaeologists will end in May. Because, like I said, no one else will be able to make stories about archaeologists unless they have Indy as a main character. It's sad, really, because I think that there are many great stories that could be told about other ancient artifacts, even stories about finding the Ark would be great. It's sad to think that Indy is the last adventurer who will be loved by all.

Adamwankenobi

WillKill4Food said:
Yeah, that would be great.
I hate to think that the adventures of archaeologists will end in May. Because, like I said, no one else will be able to make stories about archaeologists unless they have Indy as a main character. It's sad, really, because I think that there are many great stories that could be told about other ancient artifacts, even stories about finding the Ark would be great. It's sad to think that Indy is the last adventurer who will be loved by all.

It's ironic too, when people compare every single action movie of that type to Indiana Jones, as if Lucas/Spielberg created that genre. Apparently, these people have no knowledge of film history. :rolleyes:

It's the same way with Star Wars. People seem to think that George Lucas and... whoever's running the Star Trek franchise at the moment, own outer space and are the only people who have ever made stories worth telling, and that every space film afterwards is a rip-off. Every. Single. Movie. Involving. Space. is compared to SW and ST. Again, those two franchises are far from original.

Finn

Staff member
Adamwankenobi said:
It's ironic too, when people compare every single action movie of that type to Indiana Jones, as if Lucas/Spielberg created that genre. Apparently, these people have no knowledge of film history.
Or any kind of storytelling qualities. H. Rider Haggard, Republic serial, Humphrey Bogart, Carl Barks, Clive Cussler...

Jesus, kid. Bring yourself up to speed with the civilized world before making statements like that. You just end up getting ridiculed, only though if somebody decides you're worth the bother.

Junior Jones

Adamwankenobi said:

I've tried to do that here. I've only got two up (Princeton and Melbourne) and its a lot of fun, but it also takes a lot of research to do it right.