Empire magazine: Steven Spielberg editions (June 2009, April 2018)

The Man

The titular magazine turns 20 this year(!) - and guess who's chief editor...
Steven Spielberg To Guest-Edit Empire!
20th birthday issue special guest
05 February 2009 | Written by Helen O'Hara

This May sees Empire magazine, the world's biggest movie magazine, celebrate its 20th Anniversary in true style. Just as Empire has been the defining movie magazine for two decades, one director has defined great film making for generation after generation of movie fans. We are therefore hugely honoured to announce that Steven Spielberg will guest edit Empire's 20th Anniversary issue, on sale April 23rd.
Spielberg has already taken a hands-on role in commissioning the contents of the issue, working closely with the Empire team on all aspects of this landmark edition. Later this month Empire will be making the journey to Los Angeles to work on the issue with the director, who is currently shooting the forthcoming Tintin movie, The Adventures Of Tintin: Secret Of The Unicorn.
Empire's Managing Director, Stuart Williams, commented: "2009 may be a difficult year for the world at large but it's promising to be a great one for movie fans. Steven Spielberg is peerless - for decades he has understood what people want and time after time produces great movies. To work with the director of Jaws, Close Encounters Of The Third Kind, Schindler's List, the Indiana Jones Quartet, E.T., Saving Private Ryan and Munich, to name just a few, is the stuff of dreams. The 20th Anniversary issue of Empire promises to be the best in our illustrious history."
Empire's Editor, Mark Dinning, said: "The first Spielberg movie I saw at the cinema was Raiders Of The Lost Ark. It was the moment that made me fall in love with movies and unquestionably led to me being in the amazing job that I am today. That, 28 years after watching the birth of Indiana Jones, I find myself and the whole Empire team working directly with the man behind that landmark movie is an absolute privilege and one that I could have never dreamed possible."

Rhys135

Cool - will defintley pick this up.

Peter Jackson was a guest-editor a while back, but I never picked up a copy of that issue for sum bizzare reason.

The Man

The Editor...
Dear Empire reader,
When Empire magazine first approached me to become Guest Editor-In-Chief of their 20th birthday issue, I immediately said, "Show me the money!" When they explained to me that it was going to be a labor of love, I realized that I had been an ardent admirer and avid reader of Empire magazine for the past 20 years. I said yes.
What you hold in your hands is the product of seven months of meetings, phone calls and emails with the Empire team. My role has included suggesting and selecting feature ideas (I've even picked this month's spine line), approving layouts, choosing photographs and signing off finished proofs. All in all, the experience has been unprecedented and rewarding.
While moonlighting as Empire Editor-In-Chief, my day job was directing The Adventures Of Tintin: The Secret Of The Unicorn. Just as I have never edited a magazine before, Tintin marks the first time I have ventured into the brave new world of motion-capture 3-D. Having just wrapped principal photography, I can honestly say I have found motion-capture to be liberating, daunting and breathtaking. I was blessed to have such a patient, talented mentor as Peter Jackson in my corner as co-producer and creative partner. While the fruits of our labor won't reach the screen until 2011, I am proud to give you the world's first look at Tintin today. You might just recognize the two newbie actors dressed up as Thomson and Thompson.
Before we started Tintin, Peter and I spent time picking the brains of James Cameron. Avatar marks Jim's return to feature film-directing after 12 years and I am honored Jim is sharing his awe-inspiring visions in a world exclusive interview.
Also looking forward, we have Peter Jackson and Guillermo del Toro guiding us through the world of The Hobbit, Daniel Radcliffe and David Heyman revealing what's in store for the end of Harry Potter, Francis Coppola discussing his personal investment behind Tetro and George Lucas musing on what the next 20 years has in store for the future of filmmaking. There's an array of Empire's favorite directors who have contributed first looks at their exciting future projects for the News Etc. section. We have asked a group of filmmakers working today to fill in a questionnaire about their directorial tastes and style. And I assure you, they filled these forms out themselves rather than handing it off to their assistants the way I do.
As much as birthdays are about looking to the future, they are also a good time to remember and honor the past. The last 20 years have given us an abundance of unforgettable movies and we have paid tribute to some of them in our exclusively shot photo retrospective. We have brought together some iconic partnerships and memorable images, especially our reunion of the cast of The Goonies for a unique group shot and interview. The memories came flooding back, and if you want proof that 'Goonies never say die,' just open the issue.
Elsewhere, Jack Nicholson looks back at working with Stanley Kubrick on The Shining, Tom Hanks recalls 20 years of combining movie stardom with deft character acting, Clint Eastwood tells us about the influence on his life of two great directors, and a host of famous names fondly remember my favorite movie magazine of my youth, Famous Monsters Of Filmland. I have also picked this month's Classic Scene. Choosing just one scene from the length and breadth of movie history is nearly impossible, so turn to the back page to see the movie that won out.
There are many more great things in the issue but I will let you discover them for yourself. Finally, I would like to thank all the friends and colleagues who have taken time out of their crowded schedules to make special contributions to this issue. I would also like to thank you, the Empire reader, for sharing my adventures over the past 20 years. Your support, enthusiasm and encouragement toward my work will continue to be a driving force of inspiration for me over the next 20 years and beyond.
I hope you enjoy the issue.
Steven Spielberg,
Guest Editor-In-Chief, April 2009

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
It happened again.

Cover art by, who else, Paul Shipper. Still possibly on newsstands. Full resolution here.

spielberg-subscriber-cover.jpg