Fate of Atlantis hints and tech help

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Nurhachi1991 said:
I got it all I had to do was pay attention to the wall!! I beat the game for my first time and let me say I loved every second of it even the maze that took me forever! I was thinking about buying LC the graphic adventure is it like FOA Attila?

Yes and no. Visually, it's not usually regarded as exciting, although the colors are often more striking, there being fewer of them. Some of the locations, like the library and the countryside, are pretty gorgeous. There's more maze sections and more inescapable combat, but none too tricky, save for a few ringers (thing Arnold the Singing Nazi, if you played the Fists path, or the guy guarding Sophia in Atlantis). The wit is a little more offbeat, and you'll be disappointed by things that are missing (boat chase, tank chase - though they refer to them), but if you like FoA, it's a pretty solid experience. Just don't expect it to follow the movie exactly, or to have a pretty inventory.

One final note - it's an earlier game, back from when Lucasarts wasn't quite so forgiving sometimes - so play around with everything, especially early on, because you never know what might unexpectedly come in handy later. This includes library books - it's not giving away any puzzles to say that there's three that you might find useful.

Nurhachi1991

Thanks Attila I bought the cd-rom version at my local thrift store for 12.00. It came with everything but the diary is that very important can you pass the game without it?

Quickening

Nurhachi1991 said:
Thanks Attila I bought the cd-rom version at my local thrift store for 12.00. It came with everything but the diary is that very important can you pass the game without it?

Yeah you'll be fine without that. Within the game you get a grail diary the contents of which will change each time you play because the solutions to certain puzzles change each time so the written one is nothing but a nice touch. I haven't seen the physical diary supplied with the game since I bought it back in the early nineties.

EDIT: Actually that's not entirely true, sometimes you get a poorly photocopied version of it. The original was excellent with an authentic looking cover, nice thick pages and even tea stains to show that Henry Jones had studied long over it.

Nurhachi1991

My friend gave me a site where you could print out old game manuels and they had the diary! I printed it out it was like 66 pages!? But It looks useful and I'm ready to start playing if this cd works on my computer.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
You need the physical diary to find out what Grail you should pick at the end.

Quickening

VP said:
You need the physical diary to find out what Grail you should pick at the end.

Heh, and here's me taking a wild guess all these years.

EDIT: Wait a minute, Im sure the correct grail changes each time you play so how can the physical diary help?

VP

Moderator Emeritus
The hints in the game change too. There are multiple answers in the physical diary which point to all the Grails on the shelf, and you get the answer in the game for which description fits the real Grail best.

Finn

Staff member
Nurhachi1991 said:
Liar. There's no CD-ROM version of that game in existence. Just admit us you downloaded it and that's why you don't have the physical diary.

Nurhachi1991

Finn said:
Liar. There's no CD-ROM version of that game in existence. Just admit us you downloaded it and that's why you don't have the physical diary.

Really than what is this?

indy3-cd-front.jpg

Like I said it did not come with the diary or instructions it was 12.00

HJTHX1138

Help With The Hermocrates - Fate of Atlantis

So I reinstalled SCUMMVM and FoA on my home computer, I'm almost back to were I was on my laptop copy ages ago, but I'm really having trouble deciphering this last part of the Hermocrates.

Looked up several guides that didn't list what my Hermocrates is saying, it's driving me nuts! I'm at the entrance to Atlantis, after the caves with the Orichalcum and the stone heads, I got the Worldstone from Sternhart's corpse, now I'm at the map room with all three stone discs on the spindle, and the Hermocrates says this:

with the Rising Sun - Rising Sun (duh)
breaking Night's Grip - Ummm . . . New moon or something, what?
above the Fiery Peak - Volcano, easy

I've tried every conceivable combination. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Finn

Staff member
First of all, using the search feature is highly recommended. Threads merged.

Now then. Plato's Dialogue certainly is a bit dodgy here considering it's nowhere stated or even hinted that the discs always need to be aligned the same way they were when you were using 'em earlier.

So what you need to do is to point the Sunstone towards the horns according to the very first hint in the Hermocrates (e.g. the way you did it at either the Dig Site or Thera, depending on path) and then align the new moon and volcano in the direction the rising sun is pointing NOW.

If you've still got nada, then it's the Moonstone which is misaligned, but by now you've only got three other options left so trial and error should do it.

HJTHX1138

Finn said:
First of all, using the search feature is highly recommended. Threads merged.

Now then. Plato's Dialogue certainly is a bit dodgy here considering it's nowhere stated or even hinted that the discs always need to be aligned the same way they were when you were using 'em earlier.

So what you need to do is to point the Sunstone towards the horns according to the very first hint in the Hermocrates (e.g. the way you did it at either the Dig Site or Thera, depending on path) and then align the new moon and volcano in the direction the rising sun is pointing NOW.

If you've still got nada, then it's the Moonstone which is misaligned, but by now you've only got three other options left so trial and error should do it.

Sorry about that . . .

I'll give this a shot and ask again if I run into anything.

EDIT: Just solved it, thanks a ton!

Last edited: