The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones

Issue #35

I know there were plans for one because I had a subscription to the comic. There was no mention of the series ending. About the time I should have received issue 35, a letter came in the mail wanting to know what comic I wanted to change my subscription to because the series had been cancelled. It's funny because if you scour issue 34 there is NO mention at all of the series ending. For several months afterward, the elusive issue number 35 showed up in the Mile High Comics adds in the back of various comic books. I ordered it, along with the scattered issues I had missed between buying off the comic rack at the local grocer and the subscription I had, but got a letter back saying out of stock. The funny thing is, I got the subscription somewhere around number 30, so I only got a few issues before it was cancelled. I can't describe to you my dissapointment, because even then I was a HUGE Indiana Jones fan. VCRs were fairly new technology, and my family couldn't afford one. I owned the videotape for raiders, but could not watch it because we didn't have a VCR to play it in.

I heard a black and white version from the artist made it around a few comic shows, but that might have been just rumors. Anyway, maybe Dark Horse will contact the writer/artist and see if anything remains (storyboards, outlines, etc) but I have a feeling it is truly lost, if it ever did exist.

Jono11

Back in the day, comics would get cancelled that way all the time, with little or no warning. Today, the cancellation notices come months in advance, but in those days, the business was a little more cold about it--often cancelling books in the middle of extended plotlines, or even in the midst of a story arc. There were no write-in campaigns to save the book, no fan outcries. Just the end.

Given the quickness with which these decisions were made back then (especially by the notoriously cutthroat Marvel), there probably was a scripted, pencilled, and lettered Further Adventures #35. There was probably substantial work done on #36, in fact. And we'll probably never see much of either of them. There are hundreds of unpublished comics out there, but most of them leak to the public in scraps and pieces; there's a major effort ongoing to restore a comic from the freakin' 1940s. The restoration effort started over 40 years ago. It can take that long. The pages get split up and auctioned off by the companies or an enterprising intern, or even the artist himself. The scripts get tossed in the trash. Readers rarely ever get a chance to see much of the full product.

Dark Horse has some reprints of Marvel's INDIANA JONES comics of the 1980s. They don't specify exactly which issues so I'm not sure which Ditko issues are included, but presumably at least the first one, #21. He did eight in all, so the bulk of them would probably appear in a hypothetical volume 3.

Jono11

Rocket Surgeon said:
Dark Horse has some reprints of Marvel's INDIANA JONES comics of the 1980s. They don't specify exactly which issues so I'm not sure which Ditko issues are included, but presumably at least the first one, #21. He did eight in all, so the bulk of them would probably appear in a hypothetical volume 3.
I always forget Ditko was involved with FA. Judging from the time period, this would be "Shallow, pedantic objectivist ramblings" Ditko, rather than "Annoying, un-heroic, but basically tolerable bug-themed superhero" Ditko.

twlightzone1205

I need to go back and double check, but wasn't there a letter printed in the one of the last few issues, where a reader asked about Marion and the editor replied stating to "Look for Marion's return in #35"? It's fun to go back and read the old "Readers of the Lost Ark" letter pages, something you don't get in the Omnibuses.

twlightzone1205

JuniorJones said:
I'm not sure but wasn't it advertised in Marvel Age along with the cancellation?
I always assumed it was canceled to make room for much then hyped New Universe line of titles for 1986. Probably the same reason for Star Wars ending that year as well.

Stoo

twlightzone1205 said:
I need to go back and double check, but wasn't there a letter printed in the one of the last few issues, where a reader asked about Marion and the editor replied stating to "Look for Marion's return in #35"? It's fun to go back and read the old "Readers of the Lost Ark" letter pages, something you don't get in the Omnibuses.
GREAT memory, twlightzone1205!:hat: Punisher5150, Jono11 & yourself were dead-on. Issue #35 was in the works! Here are 2 pertaining replies from "Readers of the Lost Ark", Issue #32 c.Nov 1985.

----
Dear Marvel,

I liked your bringing Short Round back into the picture. I think that he should appear more often. As for Marion, I feel that Indy should have a break from her and get into some real rough and tough adventures. Indy doesn't need Marion always looking down his shoulder.

Elaine McFarland
777 Keeling Rd.
North Pole, AK 99705

As you know by now, Elaine, Marion walked out on Indy in issue #25, and so far he's doing just fine without her.

----
Dear Indy People,

Back in issue #25, Marion left, and we haven't seen her since. Where did she go?

Maggie Probert
Sanger, CA 93657

This is just what we've been wondering, Maggie, and we'll all find out together in issue #35. Don't miss it!

So there we have it. Further evidence that a Marvel Indy, No. 35 was on the table!(y)

Last edited:

Indy's Fist

Stoo said:
GREAT memory, twlightzone1205!:hat: Punisher5150, Jono11 & yourself were dead-on. Issue #35 was in the works! Here are 2 pertaining replies from "Readers of the Lost Ark", Issue #32 c.Nov 1985.

----
Dear Marvel,

I liked your bringing Short Round back into the picture. I think that he should appear more often. As for Marion, I feel that Indy should have a break from her and get into some real rough and tough adventures. Indy doesn't need Marion always looking down his shoulder.

Elaine McFarland
777 Keeling Rd.
North Pole, AK 99705

As you know by now, Elaine, Marion walked out on Indy in issue #25, and so far he's doing just fine without her.

----
Dear Indy People,

Back in issue #25, Marion left, and we haven't seen her since. Where did she go?

Maggie Probert
Sanger, CA 93657

This is just what we've been wondering, Maggie, and we'll all find out together in issue #35. Don't miss it!

So there we have it. Further evidence that a Marvel Indy, No. 35 was on the table!(y)
But where did it go? Was it near completion? I know that a few years ago a Dracula comic adaptation was finally completed. It was done sparaticly in the 1970's but it was never finished, until a few years ago. The whole thing was made into a 4 issuse release and it was finished by the original artist & writer! Maybe they could release this 35th issue of Indy the same way!

Jono11

As has been noted earlier, it's very unlikely that we'll get to see that #35, and if Dark Horse had it, you can bet they'd have been trumpeting that news for all the world. Nothing the comic book world loves more than unpublished work finally seeing the light of day (hence the inexplicably good sales for that finally-published Ghost Rider #94 that hit sometime in the last couple years.)

Not sure what the Dracula comic is that you're referring to, but in general, in the 70s and much of the 80s, work that didn't get published didn't survive. I remember finally seeing 10 or so pages of the sequel to Fallen Angels (critically acclaimed X-Men spinoff, one of the early ones that was actually good) and being ecstatic--because 10 pages, from a comic that was once basically completed, is a gold mine.

But I will keep crossing my fingers and toes. I would be in love with life forever if someone unearthed that #35. Not to mention whatever material there is on #36, which I'm now totally convinced was at least plotted, and maybe even thumbnailed or pencilled, depending on how the artist did his work. #35 looks to be kicking off some sort of serious subplot. I think #36 would have had to have at least been plotted, and someone, somewhere probably knows about plans for several more issues after that.

If there's one guy who can solve this mystery, it's Brian Cronin at Comic Book Legends Revealed. I'll email him straightaway. I've tipped him on some good leads, and he's always followed up amazingly. Expect to hear something on this sooner or later.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
OMG! You've got to be kidding me. Marion was going to come back in #35?!!!

Someone should tell ronicle....

In any case, I wonder how we could get our hands on some info like a storyline...

yodazone

Indy #35

Does anyone remember who were the creative teams slated for issue #35 or #36?

Maybe there's a chance that the original artists/inkers/colorists still have those pages hidden somewhere.

Would be cool to see those pages posted on comicartfans.com along with the other original Indy comic art posted on there:

http://comicartfans.com/

(type in "Indiana Jones" in the search box on the upper right to view original Indy art pages) :gun:

I'm not sure but wasn't the Marvel Indy series running bi-monthly towards the last 5-8 issues of the run?

:confused:

Jono11

Who was the creative team on the last few issues? Was there any indication that there was going to be a change between #34 and #35? If not, it would be worth trying to contact the creators that worked on #34.

kongisking

The Tingler said:
You know what? This really surprised me with how good it is. It's amazing that with just one film to go off, these comic makers really nailed Indy! Then again, that film was Raiders and so many others have been trying to replicate it without success since its release...

I bought the Marvel Omnibus a few weeks ago, as I was thrilled at the chance to have the very first expanded-universe Indy material. I've never read these comics before, and I am a big-ass Marvel geek (DC can sniff it!). And you know what I think?

Jono11

kongisking said:
I am a big-ass Marvel geek (DC can sniff it!). And you know what I think?
Wow, I guess DC will just have to be content with being the only traditional-style comics publisher to have any critical acclaim and literary/artistic merit.

Ignatius Stone

I bought every issue of Further Adventures back in the day, right up until its abrupt and unceremonious end!
I think the first two John Byrne issues are still my favourites.

kongisking

Jono11 said:
Wow, I guess DC will just have to be content with being the only traditional-style comics publisher to have any critical acclaim and literary/artistic merit.

Blah. The only truly great thing that has come out of DC is good ol' Batman (along with his rogues gallery). Superman? What a one-dimensional goody-two-shoes!!! Robin? The very antithesis of everything Batman stands for (He doesn't need a kid helping him out! Look at Begins and Dark Knight, and tell me if Bats can't tear Gotham's criminals a new a-hole by himself! Pointless child pandering!).

But Marvel... Oh, God, Marvel. They've got, uh, let's count them off:

Iron Man

Hulk

Spider-Man

Daredevil

Nick Fury

The Fantastic Four

The Transformers (rarely mentioned as part of the official universe, but there actually was an official comic book series produced by Marvel about everyone's favorite ass-kicking 'bots.)

Captain America (HOLY CHRIST! CAPTAIN FREAKIN' AMERICA, PEOPLE!!!)

Thor

Hank Pyme

The whole Ultimate Marvel imprint

Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, John Romita Sr. & Jr., Todd McFarlane, etc.

Marvel one-ups DC in every conceivable way, other than the aforementioned Caped Crusader. No denyin' it.

BTW, This isn't an attack on DC and it's fans. Just my possibly-worthless opinion. Nothing personal, guys...:hat: :eek:

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Marvel Age 77

marvelagemarvel077OCD-01.jpg

lc1.jpg

lc2.jpg

The underrated apdaption.