Indiana Jones 5: July 19, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFedora

Lao_Che said:
I think most of the film will be given to Ford but I think it's in their interest to get one Ford Indy out there that Paramount doesn't have dibs on distributing.

Indy did variations on it a couple of times. ;)

If it's anything like Star Wars, the Indy spinoffs will be an ideas factory for the films.

And, hey, maybe someone will get around to making a proper Indy game now too.

I know that with the Novels/comics/games Indy has got most of the macguffins out there... although what I dont know if that is what would restrict them from using a macguffin covered in the Indy EU.

Lao_Che

Pale Horse said:
So, do you think we'll see more of this Disney magic:

If so, it'll more likely be of the Michael Douglas Ant-Man variety. :p

TheFedora said:
I know that with the Novels/comics/games Indy has got most of the macguffins out there... although what I dont know if that is what would restrict them from using a macguffin covered in the Indy EU.

They're not going to avoid Shangri-La because it was done in a closed down Facebook game at any rate. :p

I suppose if they're playing it as safe as Force Awakens did, something from the Abrahamic religions such as the Staff of Moses would be ideal.

Last edited:

Udvarnoky

De-aging Harrison would be a colossal miscalculation. You can make 75-year old Indy work, but only if you embrace it. Remember, fallibility has always been part of the identity of Indy, and the mortality of old age works wonderfully with that. A good screenwriter would be finding the opportunities in Indy's age rather than trying to sidestep it. A CGI face scrub wouldn't just be grotesque, it would be stupid.

The Man

Udvarnoky said:
De-aging Harrison would be a colossal miscalculation. You can make 75-year old Indy work, but only if you embrace it. Remember, fallibility has always been part of the identity of Indy, and the mortality of old age works wonderfully with that. A good screenwriter would be finding the opportunities in Indy's age rather than trying to sidestep it. A CGI face scrub wouldn't just be grotesque, it would be stupid.

Put Ford in physically dynamic-yet-just-about-sellable situations, put decent words in his mouth, and people will accept it. Why don't they properly incorporate his (character's) age this time around, rather than having every second one-liner addressing how "past it" Indy is, while the man himself is still leaping from jeeps and punching fools in the head like it's 1939? Makes no contextual sense!

fedoraboy

Lambonius said:
I think the smart money is still on Ford in a framing narrative with a new younger actor to set the franchise up for further sequels down the line. Disney is thinking long-term with this, not one-off finale.

Absolutely, I can see it being a parallel story set in the 60's and 30's with something like a 60/40 split of screen time weighted toward Ford. And I'm completely okay with this. If they cast well - as JJ did with the Trek reboot - this could make a neat transition from old to new, recasting the character without rebooting. It's the only way I can really see this going - they tried the younger sidekick thing with Shia and it didn't work, no way are they going to retire a character like Indy and try to frame sequels around some protege.

Z dweller

DeepSixFix said:
This won't be a one-off, that was done with KOTCS. This will be to reinvigorate and extend the Indiana Jones franchise into the 2020s to legions of new fans.

IJ is based on classic adventure stories, it's not about an 80-year old Indiana Jones stumbling through Vietnam in the 1960s. It's not the archetype, it won't make much sense. Disney has grander plans.

The template for success in this business is world-building and creating a universe now. That means a new series, origin story, etc. Harrison Ford will be used like he was in The Force Awakens, bringing his star power to help launch this new universe (perhaps setting it up as a frame or story-within-a story) to build out this world returning to the 1920s and 30s where a character like Indiana Jones belongs.
Completely agree, I've been saying this for a while on these boards, while we were patiently waiting for this moment to finally come. (y)

Indy 5 will be the beginning of a long new saga under Disney's helm.

We can expect several new movies with a new actor in the leading role, once Ford has passed the torch in Indy 5, plus toys, videogames, park rides, the full monty.

After Indy 5, Disney will bring the film series back to its origins in terms of timeline, setting future adventures in the 1920s-30s.

Let's hope they do a good job: it's a great opportunity for them to develop the franchise and I believe they have both the skills and resources to give us some very good movies to watch.

DOOMSTOWNFRIDGE

Henry W Jones said:
Disney is going to merchandise the hell out of this. Maybe, we will get some of the figures never made by Hasbro in 2008.

Question to Hasbro in 2008''will you make a Marcus Brody figure?''

Answer ''if a new film comes out '' :hat:

Z dweller

Pale Horse said:
It's gonna be a long 3 years.
Nah, we've all been waiting so long that three years is nothing at this stage! ;)

And it' such a pleasure to see the Raven spring back to life, with older posters popping back and new faces joining, now that a date is actually on the horizon.

Just think about all the things we'll be able to discuss and dissect going forward: who'll write the script? The score? Which MacGuffin? The list is endless!

Actually, I suspect that a certain moderator endowed with a mature, but often pessimistic attitude (cough, cough), would be naturally inclined to believe that all the excitement about a new movie may well prove more entertaining than the final product... :p

James

The Man Awakens said:
It's savvier to reboot completely without a torch-passing role for Ford. If he's in the movie at all, audiences will not entertain a newcomer. They may not warm to anybody else in the long run, but it's franchise hari-kiri to have the guy you want warming you up for another actor who'll never come close. Harrison is this film's sole selling point at this stage...

Yes, if they were going to reboot, they would just reboot. Ford will be nearly 80 when this film is released and the series will have had a span of 11 years since the last entry. Those are ideal conditions to introduce a changing of the franchise guard. If that were the plan, there would be absolutely no need to call it "Indiana Jones 5" and tout the fact that Ford will be starring again. (A move that was so unexpected, even longtime fans have been caught off-guard.)

We've yet to be presented with any rationale for why a bookend/flashback/dual narrative could be expected as a likely outcome. Seriously, what's the precedent for such an idea? The proposed Die Hard Year One project that appears to have a lot of fans scratching their heads in confusion? How is that more likely than expecting Disney to do exactly what they're currently doing with Star Wars: A nostalgic swansong for the character followed by an origin story reboot a few years later?

Obviously Disney doesn't intend to make one last movie with Ford and then retire the franchise forever. However, this also isn't a series that will require extensive world-building or having a new entry churned out every few years. Disney isn't being tasked with setting up the Justice League here.

This is a role where recasting is going to be very crucial, so I don't believe it's something they'll waste on a supporting role or hybrid storyline. Ideally the entire film needs to focus on developing the new actor and establishing him firmly as the character in the audience's mind. The studio will also want an actor who is the right age at the time of the reboot- not someone who...maybe(?)...will seem perfect when it's time for his origin film a few years later.

bennihana123

Wow! Haven't been on the boards in years but it's going to be an exciting but frustrating wait. Wonder when more details will come out about who's writing it.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Z dweller said:
Actually, I suspect that a certain moderator endowed with a mature, but often pessimistic attitude (cough, cough), would be naturally inclined to believe that all the excitement about a new movie may well prove more entertaining than the final product... :p

There's pros and cons with it all. If the Tree of Life/Eden story is the one they go with, I just want 3 tickets to the Premiere Opening Night...

Z dweller

James said:
We've yet to be presented with any rationale for why a bookend/flashback/dual narrative could be expected as a likely outcome.
'Cause it's the easiest and more logical way to recast the role going forward, while smoothing the transition in the eyes of the existing fan base.

It also addresses the constraints that Ford's age presents in the context of an action movie.

Easy does it, just look at TFA for confirmation.

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
Come on guys, Harrison is an A-list leading man, he's not going to share screen time in portraining his most iconic character along with another actor. Let's just hope the script and plot will be intriguing.

Indy Jones

I'd be fine with Mutt (even if it's Shia) making a token appearance just to establish "yeah, he's still around," but it should totally be a brief appearance over the phone talking to his folks about how college is going.

I also have no qualms about Marion tagging along on the journey, as long as their fighting is less antagonistic and more plucky in nature. I don't want it to feel like "why are they even married, they can't stand each other!"

Also, I do think a framing device with a new actor is a good idea. We know the recast is coming. Disney won't let this franchise rest. However, since they seem to be making a big deal about Ford coming back (and how, for Steven, he's "The only Indy"), I think it needs to be like Last Crusade. Open the film with Indy in the '20s finding (or losing) an artifact in a mini adventure, and then transition into the "modern" day and have Harrison's Indy pick back up that old adventure.

That way, the audience won't be thrown for a loop or think things are starting over again with the next film; they'll already be introduced to the (new) young version of Indy. The general audience will "get" that it's the same timeline.

Lambonius

Yeah, I think there is plenty of precedent for a framing narrative within the Indy universe itself, let alone such film classics as Godfather II (what a great comparison--I'd love that.) I mean, we've already had Young Indy in Last Crusade, so the precedent of flashbacks has been established. And then of course you have the Young Indy series with the "Old Indy" framing narratives. Those worked just fine (despite Lucas' cheesy 90s flair.) I like the idea of a "quest" sort of story, where Ford's Indy completes a journey/task/McGuffin that was begun by his younger self. With a solid story and script behind it, that could be a brilliant take on a series that has already been criticized before for being too formulaic.

James

Sakis said:
Come on guys, Harrison is an A-list leading man, he's not going to share screen time in portraining his most iconic character along with another actor. Let's just hope the script and plot will be intriguing.

Beyond that, we know Ford's been aggressively pushing to reprise this role for years and doesn't consider his age to be a detriment to the character. Given that everyone involved appears to view him as irreplaceable in the role, why would he be interested in being minimized?

It reads as though some fans still can't believe Disney would actually give Ford a significant role and are trying to reconcile this news with something that's more credible in their minds. Suffice it to say, the studio probably won't be looking to a cancelled tv series from decades past or The Godfather II for inspiration here.

If The Force Awakens is any indication- and I agree it's likely a huge one- we're looking at a relatively "safe" revival where Ford headlines while being heavily aided by younger co-stars. No setting out to impress film snobs and, as with most long-delayed projects such as this, probably not delivering the kind of sequel purists would truly prefer, either.

Nothing about that would prevent Disney from being able to smoothly recast for an origin film, just as The Force Awakens isn't going to hurt the young Han Solo film(s). If anything, it's a way to remind audiences what they loved about this franchise while paving the way for a true reinvention. Since Disney owns Indy now, they don't need to make this harder than it needs to be. If they can't decide between a true sequel or a reboot, they have more than enough time to do both.

(And technically, if they do it well enough in terms of the supporting characters- as TFA did with Rey and Finn- they could potentially use Indy 5 to springboard into both a rebooted Indiana Jones series set in the 20s/30s/40s and a revived "Raiders of the ____" brand focusing on the supporting characters in the post-Indy 5 era.)

Status
Not open for further replies.