What Should The Creature Be?

TheFedora

Attila the Professor said:
That's my thought for the moment, yeah. There was an entire Liam Neeson film built around fighting them and all that.

But I think the rest of what you and Olliana said about wolves is on point, that they're A) different than what we've had before B) something that can be fought off, outsmarted, or evaded and C) from a different type of environment. They aren't particularly creepy or disgusting, which I think is part of the formula, but it could be pulled off. Still, for that type of animal, something canine or feline, I'd be intrigued by some kind of wild dog or hyena.

So I guess I'm pushing these guys?

hyena-laugh.jpg

Though this Wikipedia article on Man-Eaters suggests a real missed opportunity for Temple of Doom:
I listened to a few clips of Hyenas laughing. It really did make for an unsettling sound, and I can only just imagine a jungle scene where the first thing you hear is that around you but you don't know where its coming from. Striped Hyenas especially have the benefit of being widespread from Africa to India.

Also Hyenas have a pretty bad reputation in pop culture, mostly due to Lion King, but it could easily be pulled off I think.

IndyBuff

Gear said:
There are some gnarly species of hornet to be found across the globe.

I've always thought that large wasps or hornets would make for a cool and different menace.

Indyfan82

I like Indyfan82's general idea of tying the creatures into the quest more, though as for locusts specifically, I'm not terribly keen on them going back to the Biblical well. Locusts would also, arguably, be re-trodding the agricultural devastation theme of Temple of Doom.
Thanks.:) And yeah- that's a good point about the devastation in Temple of Doom.
I realize the movies have done artifacts tied to The Bible already- the Ark of the Covenant and the Holy Grail of Christ. I personally don't mind if more Biblical themes are drawn on- but I'm also fine with other religions and beliefs drawn upon- there are certainly other cultures and faiths that have yet to be tapped for the movies. Hinduism has been covered in TOD and KOTCS covered Inca beliefs.
Perhaps scorpions would work? That could tie in to Egyptian gods and goddesses.
(Of course, the setting of the movie and the artifact in question would determine the appropriate creature to use, if the movie wanted to tie that scene together.) If not, it should still be included with some sort of appropriate creature just for the formulaic tradition's sake anyway.:cool: :whip:

I like the concept of an underwater creature- jellyfish or piranha would be interesting, for sure.

Stoo

TheFedora said:
...aside from Nepal in Raiders, I don't think we've had snow bound settings at all.
"I don't think"

Have you ever seen "Temple of Doom"? :confused: (or "Mystery of the Blues)?
TheFedora said:
Also Uncharted 2 showed me that Snow bound settings can be pretty awesome done right. And yeah, in a pack, wolves would be very grounded.
"Grounded"? :confused: If you're into wolf packs, check out "The Trap" (1966)* with the great, Oliver Reed. His leg gets caught in his own trap and he has to fight off wolves for the last half of the movie. It's intense! :eek:

*Forbidden Eye was asking for '60s flicks so consider this another one.

TheFedora

Stoo said:
"I don't think"

Have you ever seen "Temple of Doom"? :confused: (or "Mystery of the Blues)?
"Grounded"? :confused: If you're into wolf packs, check out "The Trap" (1966)* with the great, Oliver Reed. His leg gets caught in his own trap and he has to fight off wolves for the last half of the movie. It's intense! :eek:

*Forbidden Eye was asking for '60s flicks so consider this another one.

I mean for the majority of Temple we don't spend it in the snow at all. Besides the airplane scene in Temple.

(And I never finished Young Indiana Jones)

All right, I will have to check that movie, that sounds pretty intense!(y)