Temple of the Forbidden Eye

Le Saboteur

InexorableTash said:
Oh, which thread to post this in. Jungle Cruise? Enchanted Tiki Bar? Indyland? Summer of Mysteries? (Or just Left Coast supremacy?)

I was literally in the middle of creating a post, but had the same problem. I was going with Enchanted Tiki Bar since it's a drinks and dining addition.

hideaway.jpg

InexorableTash said:
Think they'll serve adult beverages?

No, not yet. That seems like a large hurdle for Disneyland proper to cross.

I'm otherwise intrigued. There's what appears to be an animatronic parrot if you look closely. The servers/skippers/whomever could interact with it as part of a floor show. Similar to what they wanted to do when the Explorers Club in Paris opened.

TheFedora

I like the sound of this new venue for adventureland...sounds like I may have to stop by there and sample some of their wares whenever they are done with everything. (y)

Salzmank

I?ve only been to Disneyland once and on the Indiana Jones Adventure once, but (other than Pirates of the Caribbean) it was probably my favorite ride there. I have been to Disney World more than once and seen the Indy show there (which I pray they won?t do away with in their push for nothing but Marvel and Star Wars properties?ugh), and it?s very good, but of course it?s not its own story as IJA is.

Somewhat disappointed that they got rid of the ?pick one of three rooms? gag. The Claude Coats-style misdirection and trickery there was commendable, and the ride is one of the few to compete in quality with the original Haunted Mansion and Pirates, the best two Disney rides.

I?m guessing that the ride?s plot doesn?t count as ?canon?? I?m never sure about what exactly counts and what doesn?t.

Le Saboteur

Le Saboteur said:
As previously mentioned, Florida still has an Adventure Outpost as does Paris. Despite the name, however, Paris felt like Indiana Jones was an afterthought; it had more The Jungle Book and The Lion King merchandise, and this video seems to confirm that it's still that way.

I can confirm that as of 16 April 2018 the Indiana Jones Outpost in Parc Disneyland has more flavors of Doritos than actual Indiana Jones merchandise. The bulk of the merchandise is comprised of plushes from The Lion King and a handful of tee shirts from The Jungle Book. The original animated flick, not the new thing.

The Indiana Jones merchandise consists of about five tee shirt designs, a hoodie, and the same knock off fedoras. I don't foresee it changing until the movie eventually comes out. Like all Disney parks, however, all gift shops have lost all connection to theme. You can buy Frozen merchandise in Frontierland and all the toy guns you used to be able to buy are now gone.

Le Temple du Peril is still a terrible ride when it should be on par to two marquee Disney coasters -- Hyperspace Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Both are the definitive versions of the ride in any of Disney's parks, despite the crap overlay on what was supposed to be Discovery Mountain.

Ad luna in flamma gloria!

Le Saboteur

InexorableTash said:
Think they'll serve adult beverages?

We'll find out soon enough. The construction walls have gone up around the former oasis.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YtU3y-f6VWs" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm glad that the Tahitian Terrance isn't coming back -- can't stand the thing -- and only mildly annoyed that Aladdin's Oasis* is heading to Yesterland. Though, I do hope they retain that dividing wall when you round the bend heading back to the dock.

* - Café Agrabah in Disneyland Paris is a legit North African/Middle Eastern restaurant.

the-tropical-hideaway-construction-wall-1-700x526.jpg

Last edited:

InexorableTash

I spent Saturday in "the DL" with the family.

• Hit the Indy ride twice. First, at park open as part of the initial rush - after being entertained at the Adventureland entrance by a mother duck and her flock of week-old chicks cutting through the crowd of accommodating people waiting for the rope to drop. And second at 11:57pm as the last riders of the day. The giant snake animatronic was not moving and unlit, otherwise nothing to report.
  • The consolidation of the shops into one storefront (the Bazaar), leaving the rest for eating (former Adventure Outpost and South Seas Trader) and Tropical Imports into stroller parking... well, Adventureland is now navigable again. Apart from the Dole Whip line, wow.
  • The Tiki Drummer God with a tail atop Tropical Imports is gone! It seems like the Jungle Cruise line on the rooftop has expanded slightly.
  • No amazing new Indy merch, of course, although the foam machete was fun. The only thing I picked up is one of those "Metal Earth" kits of the Ark, which are a park exclusive.
  • As Sab points out, the Tropical Hideaway fencing is up. It has some generic tiki kitsch mounted on the fence along with generic Adventureland concept drawings - nothing that hasn't been seen before.

In 15 hours we hit: Indy (2x), Jungle Cruise, Tiki Room (2x), Treehouse, Trader Sam's, Blue Bayou, Haunted Mansion (2x), Tom Sawyer Island, Big Thunder (2x), Disneyland Railroad, Monorail, Star Tours, Autopia, Space Mountain, Matterhorn, Snow White, Alice, Teacups, small world, Roger Rabbit. Pirates was closed, too chilly for Splash Mountain, and we spent some time shopping too - the spouse picked up a tiki room dress.

InexorableTash

Me again. Just wrapping up two days at the parks.

Some new Indy merch for the 40th. Big news from the temple: The Sallah spiel video has been dramatically shortened: no more "Eye on the World" segments, just a quick loop of Sallah talking about seatbelts, over and over again. The bamboo pole in the spike room has gone AWOL. Hopefully both temporary but I'm not optimistic.

Lance Quazar

Me again. Just wrapping up two days at the parks.

Some new Indy merch for the 40th. Big news from the temple: The Sallah spiel video has been dramatically shortened: no more "Eye on the World" segments, just a quick loop of Sallah talking about seatbelts, over and over again. The bamboo pole in the spike room has gone AWOL. Hopefully both temporary but I'm not optimistic.

Considering they switched to the virtual boarding queue to avoid crowds of people packed indoors, one can hope these are coming back eventually.

I went to DL a couple weeks ago and did go on the Indy ride, but didn't look in the Adventureland store and now I'm kicking myself. I forgot there was at least a smattering of new merch and just totally spaced. (literally. I was ridiculously high by that point in the day.)

InexorableTash

Considering they switched to the virtual boarding queue to avoid crowds of people packed indoors, one can hope these are coming back eventually.
The Virtual Queue for that ride is gone, but there's still no fast passes. The park was pleasantly less crowded but only due to the reservation system. The crowds were packed indoors, still. Line waits fluctuated wildly from 20 to 60 minutes for the E-tickets.

(We we're all both fully vaccinated and masked, out of precaution, but otherwise the parks had gone "full Florida")

Lance Quazar

The Virtual Queue for that ride is gone, but there's still no fast passes. The park was pleasantly less crowded but only due to the reservation system. The crowds were packed indoors, still. Line waits fluctuated wildly from 20 to 60 minutes for the E-tickets.

(We we're all both fully vaccinated and masked, out of precaution, but otherwise the parks had gone "full Florida")

Thanks. My friend and I went on the 9th, just before a lot of the COVID rules were dropped and just after AC opened up.

We had a great time, but it just made me want to go back again soon!

Lance Quazar

Broken, abandoned animatronics?

Hurrying guests through the queue past perfumed sections with dead raccoons in the walls?

Guests were ushered through the queue due to COVID protocols and that no longer happens. Could it have happened in the past? Certainly. But it's not a regular thing.

But, yeah, portions of the Indy ride seem to be consistently broken. And the ride breaks down constantly. I've been on it twice just in the past few months when the ride stopped for a period of time. In one instance, it ushered us through the last few scenes with the lights on and the effects off and we asked to ride it again and we allowed to do so.

The original effect of "choosing doors" has been permanently abandoned. A sliding floor gave the illusion of going through a different door every time (even though there was only one "real" functional door.) But it broke many years ago and will never be fixed. You always go through the middle door (though projections make the door choices and the resulting chambers appear different, which is something.)

The "rat room" effect - which never worked well anyway - also seems to have been permanently abandoned or turned off.

The large lunging snake hasn't lunged in at least 7 months (since I started going back to the park with some regularity.) That seems like it should be an easy thing to fix. Alas.

To my mind, though, most frustrating part is that they no longer run the "newsreel" intro video. I was told this was also eliminated due to COVID protocols, but there's no excuse not to have it back now, as every protocol has been eliminated elsewhere.

It literally explains the story of the ride. Without it, there's no context for anything that happens.

JasonMa

I miss the trap pole in the queue, but that hasn't worked in almost two decades at this point (in the narrow hallway of the queue before you get to the dig room one of the bamboo poles "holding up" the ceiling was loose. If you tugged on it the "ceiling" would groan and spikes would emerge from holes like they were descending on you). We were lucky enough to ride Indy within the first 3 months of its opening and the queue line with its "Choose Wisely" over the drinking fountains, the trap pole, and the rope tug in the dig site room always stuck with me.

I also miss the newsreel.

Forbidden Eye

Indiana Jones Adventure is currently scheduled to close for refurbishment November 14-16th.

A lot of the clickbait websites ran articles indicating that it was going to be close for a significant amount of time, but all signs show it's likely to be their routine 3-day refurbishment they do at least twice a year.

Rivers

Indiana Jones Adventure is currently scheduled to close for refurbishment November 14-16th.

A lot of the clickbait websites ran articles indicating that it was going to be close for a significant amount of time, but all signs show it's likely to be their routine 3-day refurbishment they do at least twice a year.
They need it bad!!! It’s pretty sad when the grand finale of the ride isn’t working and hasn’t been working for a long time!!! And they have the nerve to charge people extra on genie plus to ride it!
It’s like going on splash mountain and not getting drop!
It’s absolutely shameful the way (Not only Indy) but the whole park has been operating!
I have never seen so many ride break downs in over 30 plus trips!
It needs more than a 3 day refurb.