Chronicles of Narnia

Goonie

I've been reading the responses on other boards like Micechat and Ultimate Disney. Lots of disappointed people out there including myself.

Stupid idea Disney :mad: . Maybe they'll give us more crud like Space Buddies, rather than a well written fairy tale.(n)

agentsands77

Well, the first two flicks in this series were so dismal, I can't help but be a little happy at this news. Maybe, just maybe, this means that we won't have to sit through any more awful adaptations of Lewis' beloved books.

TheMutt92

I'm not sure whether to be happy or saddened by this...

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=52379

Fox Takes Over Chronicles of Narnia
Source: Variety, L.A. Times January 29, 2009

Variety and The L.A. Times are reporting that 20th Century Fox has picked up the option to co-finance Walden Media's The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader just a month after Disney decided to pass on helping to finance the third film in the series. Budgeting and script issues are being worked out although there's hope that the film will start shooting at the end of summer for a planned holiday 2010 release through the Fox Walden label.

Fox and Walden will split the production and P&A costs for "Dawn Treader," which is projected to have a $140 million budget, down from the $215 million spent on last year's The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian. "Caspian" grossed $419 million worldwide, compared to the $745 million earned by its predecessor "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe."

As planned, the third film will be directed by Michael Apted with Mark Johnson and original director Andrew Adamson co-producing. Ben Barnes, Skandar Keynes and Georgie Henley will be returning as Prince Caspian, Edmund and Lucy while Will Poulter from Garth Jennings' Son of Rambow will play Eustace Clarence Scrubb.

You can read more details about the production deal and the development of the script, which was penned by Richard LaGravanese over at Variety and at The L.A. Times.

So what does this mean for a future box set and distribution, w/ Disney having control over the first two and Fox w/ the rest?

The Magic Rat

TheMutt92 said:
I'm not sure whether to be happy or saddened by this...

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=52379

So what does this mean for a future box set and distribution, w/ Disney having control over the first two and Fox w/ the rest?

I dunno, really not sure. Fox kinda sucks, but then again Caspian was handled all wrong, so really how much worse could it get?

I still think Disney wimped out. I mean, they put up a Prince Caspian attraction at their Disney World theme park. Well, whatever, though. I'll still give the Dawn Treader a chance.

NoCamels

Disney! Voyage of the Dawn Treader (if done well, of course) will do better than Prince Caspian! I don't know anyone whose favorite book is Prince Caspian, but there's a lot of people who like Dawn Treader.

Voyage of the Dawn Treader is probably my favorite, but I also really want to see The Horse and His Boy. And I'd really like to see them keep the original kids and do the books in published order, so by the time they get to Horse and His Boy and The Last Battle they will probably be old enough.

Morning Bell

That' too bad. I thought the first two films were pretty good adaptations and I was looking forward to another film. I would love to see all seven books get a film, although that's pretty wishful thinking, especially if the others don't perform better.

The Magic Rat

Morning Bell said:
That' too bad. I thought the first two films were pretty good adaptations and I was looking forward to another film. I would love to see all seven books get a film, although that's pretty wishful thinking, especially if the others don't perform better.

I would love all seven to be made, but currently 3 years apart makes me think that would never, ever happen. But then again, who knows.

C'mon The Horse and His Boy:)

The Man

Festive Dawn...

"The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" will indeed be among 2010 winter movies. Clarifying the circulating speculation about the film's possible Christmas release, 20th Century Fox and Walden Media announced that they have set the third "Narnia" film to arrive in U.S. theaters on December 10, 2010.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Ba-bump!

Guess who got to to see the Dawn Treader and played on it?

cid__media1.jpg

It's a mobile pic, so forgive the grainy-ness. Will put up more once I upload it from the digital camera (nice, cleaner pics).

But, yeah. The Dawn Treader Studio Tour was on at WB MovieWorld, and was part of admission for the past month. Today is the last day for the tour to run (I went yesterday and on Thursday, coz I got one of them VIP local passes). Tomorrow, they're destroying the Dawn Treader because apparently they do not have room for the ship and it's components in the backlot storage, which is a real shame! It's a gorgeous ship full of great detail.

Goonie

RedeemedChild said:

The new kid on the right looks like a young Jerry O'Connell in Stand By Me.

Still bugs me that Disney pulled out of this franchise. And watch, Dawn Treader will be more successful than Prince Caspian and they will be kicking themselves.

Captain Craig

I really liked Voyage of the Dawn Treader and am glad that it has crossed $400m worldwide now!!!

It's now almost grossed as much as Caspian worldwide on a smaller budget plus it was Fox's only $100m film last year. Hard to believe but true that studio had a rough year in 2010.

There is talk of a sequel but the seemingly obvious choice of The Silver Chair seems to have competiton with The Magicians Nephew.

Captain Craig said:
I really liked Voyage of the Dawn Treader and am glad that it has crossed $400m worldwide now!!!

It's now almost grossed as much as Caspian worldwide on a smaller budget plus it was Fox's only $100m film last year. Hard to believe but true that studio had a rough year in 2010.

There is talk of a sequel but the seemingly obvious choice of The Silver Chair seems to have competiton with The Magicians Nephew.

I am a huge fan of the Narnia books however I was not the biggest fan of Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I felt it could have been alot better. I am happy it has crossed the $400 million mark though. I really want to see them make The Silver Chair. It was my favorite book out of the series.

TheMutt92

"Magicians Nephew" to be next....?

http://blog.moviefone.com/2011/03/23/the-magicians-nephew-narnia-movie/

"We are starting to talk to Fox and talk to the C.S. Lewis estate now about the Magician's Nephew being our next film ... If we can all agree to move forward, then what we would do is find someone to write the script. So, it could still be a couple of years."

Flaherty then goes on to say that 'The Magician's Nephew' is the second most popular book in the series, so it's a guaranteed blockbuster hit, which sounds like slightly delusional wishful thinking, but if it helps him get his movie made, more power to him.

While "The Magicians Nephew" was my favorite in the series (I only read that and "Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe", so...), wasn't everyone saying "Dawn Treader" was the second most popular? As much as I would like to see this films continue and succeed (Only saw the first two though), that just seems a bit misleading.