Kong: Skull Island

kongisking

Stoo said:
The concept alone is camp! Who was it that defined camp as "tragically ludicrous or ludicrously tragic"? That's what Kong is, a ridiculous concept so I wasn't talking about the acting in the '33 film. Speaking of that, it seems hammy because it is hammy. There are plenty of early '30s films with stellar performances and "King Kong" is not one of them. It's essentially a B movie with utterly amazing technical effects.

I like Jack Black a lot but his portrayal of Denham in the '05 film is goofy, over-the-top and not serious at all. That's camp.

Despite what you think, the '76 film was not meant to be intentionally cheesy. De Laurentiis even said things like, "Intellectuals gonna love this new Kong movie" and "When the shark in 'Jaws' died, nobody cry. When da big-a monkey dies, everybody gonna cry". This take was an attempt to give the story a more serious treatment & more emotional depth than the original.

Maybe you don't know but Women's Lib was still going strong in the mid-'70s and "male chauvinist pig" was a common term so Dwan's line was very fitting. If you can overlook certain aspects of the '33 film for being of it's time, then you should be able to do the same for the '76.

By the way, what do you mean by Dwan "flipping her sheet"?:confused:

Also, I'm not saying that the '76 movie is the greatest version, I said that it has become better with age. It has some dodgy effects here & there but most of the film is done well?and it was a HUGE success back then! It also has a message that the other 2 versions don't (which is even more relevant today than it was before).

There's an extended cut available? I'd heard of such a thing once existing but didn't know it was still around. Should look into that indeed.

And don't misread my tone, I am absolutely not a hater of '76 Kong or trying to slam you liking it. I admit I have such huge respect for the original film, that I don't really like some of the creative decisions '76 made, but that just means its not my favorite take on this magical story. I do need to see it more as you say, since that's probably why its so vague in my mind compared to the other versions which I've seen much more often. I don't expect to suddenly adore it with all my soul, but I got no beef with you liking this Kong.

I can believe De Laurentiis was attempting more seriousness, but I personally think it came across as even more cheesy somehow (maybe because the more modern dialogue used is more jarring than 30's style writing, where you just more easily take it with the (to modern eyes like mine) weird, special style of pictures made back then?), but as you say, this is a fundamentally overblown concept.

But I think Jackson's Kong more or less succeeded at making a serious and more mature version...and I think Jack Black gave a strong performance too! He was perfectly chosen for this version of Denham which was a more reckless, egotistical, desperate-for-fame-and-glory director with a manic energy and boundless passion. Nobody can ever beat Robert Armstrong, of course, but Black's take on Denham is excellent too.

In the end, I just need to rewatch the darned thing. Its just so vague in my memory that I need a refresher. Thanks for the motivation, Stoo! :hat:

And the 'flipping her sheet' was me trying to basically say 'flipping her ****' (its an expression meaning basically 'to throw a fit') but I wanted to get around the profanity filter. Oh well, fail.

kongisking

TheFedora said:
Lo-ki...you mean? ;)

Tom Hiddleston as a pulp hero...interesting. If indeed they want him to be a prequel adventurer exploring skull island.

I picture a stiff, proper Englishman explorer in the 1800's out to map the globe, who stumbles on the island by chance, and crazy adventure ensues. :D

TheFedora

King Kong gets a new netflix series!

Netflix, Inc. and 41 Entertainment announced today, Kong - King of the Apes?, an original animated TV series for kids from Executive Producer Avi Arad. Arad has been a producer of iconic superhero stories like Spider-Man franchise movies, the X-Men franchise movies, the Iron-Man films, and The Incredible Hulk. He has also executive produced kids TV with the extremely popular Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures series which began in 2013. Netflix members around the world will be introduced to KONG first through a full length feature film that will be followed by 12 half hour episodes beginning in 2016.
kong-animated.jpeg
Set in 2050, this CGI animation is a fresh and modern take on the classic King Kong story. Even far in the future, KONG is still the strongest creature ever born with many human traits that make him the ultimate iconic hero. In KONG, the future looks bright for San Francisco's Alcatraz Island since its transformation into the most impressive Natural History and Marine Preserve on the planet.

But when the star attraction suddenly goes ape and KONG becomes public enemy number one, the villain that framed him is free to unleash an army of gigantic robotic dinosaurs on the unsuspecting world. Ironically, KONG is the only force formidable enough to stop these super-powered dinosaurs and the evil genius manipulating them. But KONG is now the world's most hunted fugitive. Fortunately, there are three young humans who know the truth and are willing to risk their lives to help KONG evade capture, while he battles to save humankind.

Ted Sarandos, Chief Content Officer for Netflix said:

"We're thrilled to be working with Avi who has made some of the most successful action and adventure franchises today and whose Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventure series has been very popular on Netflix around the world. With 41 Entertainment as our partner on this, we continue to work with some of the finest animation studios around the world to create shows that will appeal to kids of all ages globally."
Executive Producer, Avi Arad added:

"I always loved King Kong. This is a unique opportunity to introduce him in brilliant CGI animation to kids worldwide with the power of Netflix."
Kong- King of the Apes? is an exclusive Property of 41 Entertainment LLC.

SOURCE Netflix, Inc.

Well, I see they threw out the 'Pulp' aspects of Kong pretty fast there. Or maybe to avoid stepping on the movies?

kongisking

TheFedora said:
King Kong gets a new netflix series!

Well, I see they threw out the 'Pulp' aspects of Kong pretty fast there. Or maybe to avoid stepping on the movies?

*stares in stunned silence, then finally swallows and weakly says*

That sounds absolutely outrageously insane and ridiculous...

...so much so, that it might possibly be inspired. Wow, His Majesty is really set to make a comeback. :D

TheFedora

kongisking said:
*stares in stunned silence, then finally swallows and weakly says*

...so much so, that it might possibly be inspired. Wow, His Majesty is really set to make a comeback. :D

So it proves that something like King Kong does not need to be constrained by time period of initial creation. Also, it does have one of these so terrible its good plot summaries to it now that you mention it...

Stoo

TheFedora said:
They didn't throw out "the pulp aspects", they are adding more! A gigantic ape fighting robot dinosaurs is about as pulpy as things can get. (What the heck do you think 'pulp' is?:confused:)

As far as "stepping on the movies" is concerned, the majority of Kong films are modernized and don't take place in the 1930s.
kongisking said:

...so much so, that it might possibly be inspired.
Ridiculous, yes, but it's nothing new. Kong has fought giant robots before (in '60s film & TV) and this plot is similar to the CG animated, "Kong: Return to the Jungle" from 2007. Both of the animated series (Rankin/Bass & BKN) had strong science-fiction elements in them. Y'know, like...Kong even fought aliens back in 1966...
TheFedora said:
So it proves that something like King Kong does not need to be constrained by time period of initial creation.
This concept doesn't "prove" anything because:

1) The show hasn't even been made yet.

2) Kong hasn't been "constrained" to the 1930s. The 2 Toho films & Rankin Bass animated series take place in the 1960s. The 2 De Laurentiis movies take place in the '70s & '80s and the BKN animated series & 2 BKN movies are set in the 2000s.

Last edited:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Tiny little people:

kong-1.jpg

Le Saboteur

Moedred said:
Tiny little people:

Can the first official trailer be that far behind? This "motion poster" seems to indicate that we'll be making a quick stop on Skull Island this coming weekend. Saturday maybe?

<blockquote class="twitter-video" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Comic-Con: In 3 days, journey to Skull Island. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/kongskullisland?src=hash">#kongskullisland</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/SDCC2016?src=hash">#SDCC2016</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/WBxSDCC?src=hash">#WBxSDCC</a> <a href="https://t.co/eRJBoRKrpZ">pic.twitter.com/eRJBoRKrpZ</a></p>— Kong: Skull Island (@kongskullisland) <a href="https://twitter.com/kongskullisland/status/755830089497976832">July 20, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Setting off flares while standing atop a massive simian skull seems like a really bad idea.

curmudgeon

I have no idea what I'm doing. Hopefully posting an embedded trailer.<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YK5hbs4LOI8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Le Saboteur

curmudgeon said:
I have no idea what I'm doing. Hopefully posting an embedded trailer.

Perhaps more importantly, why are you posting an embedded trailer? Do you feel particularly excited for Skull Island? Are you enthused as kongisking (even though hes abandoned the thread despite appearing late at night) for a one hundred foot ape? Are you glad that Universal is now aping Disney by creating synergy between its film properties and theme parks?

I'm intrigued. It doesn't immediately grab me the way the first trailer for Legend of Tarzan did, but it has serious potential. I found the first hour of Peter Jackson's King Kong to be superb, and this looks like it'll be an entire movie on Skull Island.

Is this a period piece? It looks like a thoroughly modern movie, but this image screams Vietnam-era to me. Those helicopters look like Bell UH-1s, and I believe the Army favors Blackhawks these days.

kong-skull-island.jpg

First poster!

kong-skull-island-poster-405x600.jpg

AndyLGR

This trailer certainly piqued my interest in it. However tbh with films like this, Godzilla and Jurassic Park, theres only so much they can do with the creatures, so the story and characters surrounding them have to be interesting.

Le Saboteur

Geriaction fans! Sorry, but it looks like the Night Manager is putting his stamp on the Swinging Sixties! You'll have to settle for his and Kong's... well, you know.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/h9y6oPka3us" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

curmudgeon

Hrm. The comedy stuff with John C. Reilly is falling a little flat for me, but his character strikes me as an homage to Nestor Paiva's character from the Black Lagoon movies, which is something I do appreciate.

Le Saboteur said:
Are you glad that Universal is now aping Disney by creating synergy between its film properties and theme parks?

Hey wait, you almost got away with that inaccuracy! :p
Movie shifted from Universal to Warner Bros. before production began.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
curmudgeon said:
Hrm. The comedy stuff with John C. Reilly is falling a little flat for me, but his character strikes me as an homage to Nestor Paiva's character from the Black Lagoon movies, which is something I do appreciate.

Not Dennis Hopper's character from <I>Apocalypse Now</I>?

Apocalpyse-Now-717x375.jpg

Le Saboteur

Final trailer for what may be the movie of the summer.

Two weeks and counting!

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/44LdLqgOpjo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>