The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor

Dr. Gonzo

JP Jones said:
The script felt like a distant imitation of the previous 2, lacking real charm or fun, and the acting here is as below-par as it gets, even with a franchise that doesn't rely on it much at all.

While the film is the worst of the 3, due to it's fun deprived script and bad acting, it doesn't ruin the franchise for me.

I'm sorry, did you read the script or did you watch the film? The actual written words on the page can be amazing but if delivered by actors or a director horribly the film will suck. Unless you actually read the screenplay, that's not a valid argument.

I've never read the screenplay for The Mummy 3, but I find it disheartening when people see a bad film and blame the script. The known belief is; you can have a bad script, great actors and director thus creating a bad movie, but you can also have a great script, bad actors and a bad director and the director and actors filter the screenplay into crap... and any other variation you can think of. The script is always blamed, and that's a bit of a cop out unless you've actually read the screenplay. Went on a bit of a rant, but it needed to be said.

Saying that, I am not a fan of this movie, but people too quickly dismiss the writing as the problem. Good writing can and has been executed poorly many many times before.
The execution of the words is ultimately the deciding factor.

kongisking

Dr. Gonzo said:
I'm sorry, did you read the script or did you watch the film? The actual written words on the page can be amazing but if delivered by actors or a director horribly the film will suck. Unless you actually read the screenplay, that's not a valid argument.

I've never read the screenplay for The Mummy 3, but I find it disheartening when people see a bad film and blame the script. The known belief is; you can have a bad script, great actors and director thus creating a bad movie, but you can also have a great script, bad actors and a bad director and the director and actors filter the screenplay into crap... and any other variation you can think of. The script is always blamed, and that's a bit of a cop out unless you've actually read the screenplay. Went on a bit of a rant, but it needed to be said.

Saying that, I am not a fan of this movie, but people too quickly dismiss the writing as the problem. Good writing can and has been executed poorly many many times before.

I actually had the (mis)fortune of reading the novelization before seeing this, and I thought it was terrific, with great characters, fun action and a great plot. When seeing the actual film, I admit, pretty big letdown in those departments, but I still decided, "Hell, judge the final product," and in the end, I decided it was a dumb, unambitious and silly guilty-pleasure, one of those films that I know is fundamentally lame and stupid, but I still get a kick out of watching sometimes. I have the same thinking with Michael Bay's Transformers films (wait, I should clarify: his first and third Transformers films. Revenge of the Fallen was just...despicably bad).

JP Jones

Dr. Gonzo said:

Seeing as I haven't read the script, I'll phrase it " What happens in the film lacks the fun of the previous 2, and there are jokes made just to fake the feeling of charm when it's not really there." You seem to forget that sometimes there are bad scripts, and I believe Mummy 3 had one.