Do you read comics other than Indiana ones?

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Cammy said:
Tron is one of the comics I'm reading from Slave Labor Graphics, and I have to say I'm really enjoying it and I'm looking forward to the next issue.
Wasn't Tron a Disney movie?:p

Junior Jones

Violet Indy said:
Wasn't Tron a Disney movie?:p

Yeah. There was also a video game sequel: TRON 2.0

The comic picks up where the video game left off, so there's a bit of a gap for those of us who have only seen the movie. But there's a full text page in the first issue to get us up to speed on what has happened before.

Supernatural

The Raven Comic Book Thread

I ran a search and looked through several pages to see if this had been done before and all I came up with was a New 52 thread.

So here's to hoping this become a popular comic book thread.

I know you comic geeks are out there.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
All right, I'll play. I'm currently reading/collecting:

Green Hornet (incl the early 90s comics by NOW as well as the current main line)
Batgirl (New 52)
Darkwing Duck (yes, I know this finished but I always have to wait till the con shows up as the comic store here doesnt carry that title along all the other Disney/Boom studio stuff)
Ducktales
Futurama on occasion
Wonderwoman (on occasion)
Avengers Versus X-Men (Guess who's gonna get their copy signed by Michael Bendis next week!!)

indyclone25

i stopped collecting star wars comics a few years ago and the last comics i bought were the new star wars errant venture series i have picked up the first three books (haven't read them yet) just waiting for some new indiana jones books ?

The Drifter

The only comics that I collect are Dark Horse's Conan, and Marvel's Conan. I have been wanting to collect the old EC Comics such as Tales From the Crypt. Speaking of TFtC, my wife told me that as a teen her family moved from Alabama to North Carolina, while there the first day she found stacks and stacks of old Tales From the Crypt comics. I asked her why didn't she keep them so I could have them now, and she said that she let her step-mom throw them out! GRRRRR

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Zot, the complete black and white collection
Penny Arcade books 3 & 4 (drawn when I gave up on video games)

Liberty Meadows 3 & 4 on the Amazon queue...

Supernatural

Just wanted to bring up the slew of layoffs taking place in Marvel.
They haven't had a book in the top ten sales chart since the New 52 launched. That's eight months ago.

People figure since Disney has deep pockets, they'll save Marvel.
That hasn't happened yet.
In fact, I'm willing to bet Disney doesn't even care. I'm sure they just bought Marvel for the movie properties. Most of which they don't even have access to.

By the way, I'm reading about a dozen titles from the New 52.
Nightwing being one of my bigger faves.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Supernatural said:
Just wanted to bring up the slew of layoffs taking place in Marvel.
They haven't had a book in the top ten sales chart since the New 52 launched. That's eight months ago.

People figure since Disney has deep pockets, they'll save Marvel.
That hasn't happened yet.
In fact, I'm willing to bet Disney doesn't even care. I'm sure they just bought Marvel for the movie properties. Most of which they don't even have access to.

By the way, I'm reading about a dozen titles from the New 52.
Nightwing being one of my bigger faves.

Don't you mean DC and Warners? Nightwing being Dick Grayson, the original Robin? A DC character?

Supernatural

JuniorJones said:
Don't you mean DC and Warners? Nightwing being Dick Grayson, the original Robin? A DC character?

No, what I meant was that since DC's New 52 launched, Marvel has been having a hard time breaking into the top ten.

Then I mentioned that one of my current favorites is DC's Nightwing.

Sorry if I didn't make it clear.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
The Drifter said:
I have been wanting to collect the old EC Comics such as Tales From the Crypt. Speaking of TFtC, my wife told me that as a teen her family moved from Alabama to North Carolina, while there the first day she found stacks and stacks of old Tales From the Crypt comics. I asked her why didn't she keep them so I could have them now, and she said that she let her step-mom throw them out! GRRRRR
As a kid I stayed up late to watch Bob Costas interview William M. Gaines, but all they talked about was the Congressional hearing. I guess that's why you can buy the complete Mad for $20 but EC comics are pricey hardbound comic books. Yes, Drifter, you probably lost a fortune. :(

Le Saboteur

Moedred said:
Liberty Meadows 3 & 4 on the Amazon queue...

2012-04-12-v8650z.gif

Teehee. I have all of the original issues. Still waiting on a new issue, though. Monkey Boy Cho swore up and down he'd have more out last Wonder Con, but I haven't seen anything. Well, there is the Lazy Sunday Collection that purports to have previously unpublished material so we'll see...

I have the following titles piled up to read:

Corto Maltese: The Ballad of the Salt Sea
Xenozoic Tales
Locke & Key
Uncharted
Quatemain

Le Saboteur

Inspired by a marathon of Batman: The Animated Series over the holidays, I thought I would see what else is going on in the world of animated superhero cartoons. Not much it turns out. Oh, there are things out there like Young Justice & Green Lantern, but nothing like the early the nineties when it seemed like every major player had their own teevee show.

While browsing around, I did find out about Ultimate Spiderman. From the guys @ Man of Action Studios (Ben 10, Generator Rex) and the legendary Paul Dini, the show should be something to write home about, right?

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/blqtSGHfFlc?list=SPK5HARgNfgj84jKtf90lanMiuZfj6ywY6" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Well, no. It really isn't. It's bright, shiny, and wonderfully animated, but that ain't Peter Parker. And Aunt May? Yeah, she ain't thirty-five. If you remember the Teen Titans and Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, a lot of the series will be very familiar. All the popular heroes make an appearance, too! So far: Thor, Nick Fury, Iron Man, Wolverine, the Incredible Hulk, and Captain America (sort of).

The Spider-Ham reference is hilarious.

Even more villains appear! To wit, The Frightful Four, Sabertooth, Dr. Doom, Norman Osbourne, Taskmaster, Mesmero, Batroc the Leaper, The Living Laser, Flash Thompson, Doctor Octopus, Loki, and the seminal Venom. They all look pretty great, but the stuff with Venom is exceptionally well done.

Rounding out the cast are a teenaged: Nova, White Tiger, Iron Fist, & Luke Cage (aka Power Man). Together they (and Spider Man) are a quasi-superhero team based on S.H.I.E.L.D.'s now famous helicarrier.

I've seen about half of the first season so far, and it's... entertaining. While I'll probably keep watching, I'll need to remember that it's not really Spider Man.

ultimate_spider-man_h_2012.jpg

In other comic book news, the Mighty Thor has been tasked with hunting down Frank Castle. Should be... fatal for somebody.

Le Saboteur

So, I just finished reading through a twelve page thread on who would win between the updated Black Panther and the original Spider-Man. My head hurts. In case you didn't know, the updated Black Panther has a vibranium weave in his new suit that, like Captain America's shield, absorbs all vibrations in the vicinity and any kinetic energy directed at it. Plus, he has enough gadgetry now to make The Batman think he's compensating for something.

Your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man has his webbing (which has held the likes of the Hulk and Iron Man), his spidey-sense, super-human agility, speed and endurance, and can bench press around fifteen tonnes.

Oh, the inanity of it all!

Anyway, I recently delved back into picking up single-issues after several years of trades only. Trades typically end up on my regular bookshelves while the single issues end up in the requisite white box. Does anybody else have a preference for one or the other? I normally prefer to have the entire story-arc in one compilation, but there's some interesting books coming out that I'm curious about and I'd like to be current with them.

Though, I'll probably continue picking up The Walking Dead in trade format unless the series continues ad infinitum. There's only so much that one can do with the story before it becomes derivative.

Also, I just read that the X-Men are relaunching yet again. This time around they're going to be an all-female team. Yep, all women!

?Everyone is really excited at the idea of an all-female team, but we?re not trying to make it all about that. It?s an X-Men book, first and foremost? Last year, when I had a team of four women and one man, they were all called X-Men back then, you know? ?It seems like a no-brainer to me, now, or last year, or ten years ago. The female X-Men are amazing characters, they always have been, everyone knows that. They?ve been the best thing about the franchise.?

xmen2013001_dc11-3_4_r536_c534.jpeg

The roster this time around includes Storm, Jubilee, Psylocke, Rogue, Kitty Pryde, and Rachel Grey.

Check out Wired.com's article over here.

Excelsior!

indyclone25

i just got done reading the new comic book "Superior Spiderman" liked the story but hated the artwork. plus i know that doc ock taking over peter's body won't last to long but , that was one stupid story line too.

Le Saboteur

The above post and the remainder of this post below the image contains spoilers. Regular musings will continue after the second image.

Spidey.jpg

indyclone25 said:
i just got done reading the new comic book "Superior Spiderman" liked the story but hated the artwork. plus i know that doc ock taking over peter's body won't last to long but , that was one stupid story line too.

Spoiler tags, companero! Not everybody has read the current story arc; or, may have only heard about it in passing. I personally thought they would leave the reader in suspense for a couple of issues at least. But such is the problem with Marvel today -- they go careening from event to event without much regard to anything aside from the bottom line.

Sad really. I like some of the changes/updates/whatever to the suit, but I'm still up in the air over the whole premise. I suppose I'll remain interested until Dan Slott's self-aggrandizing trip finally gets under my skin.

50edbeaa77ed8.jpg

The Drifter said:
The only comics that I collect are Dark Horse's Conan, and Marvel's Conan.

Maybe Helheim will tempt you? It has Undead Vikings after all! Hard to go wrong with Norse mythology.

helheim+1+color+sample.jpg

Le Saboteur

Hit Monkey

Really? No wonder Marvel has had such a difficult time attracting readers since DC's New 52 initiative.

hm2.jpg

Hit Monkey Origins said:
An unnamed assassin was marked for death after his part in a failed political coup. After blowing up a squad of enemy soldiers, he decides to run for his life. Passed out in the snow after four days of fleeing, he was rescued by a troop of Japanese Macaques. The monkeys allowed the assassin into their clan, with the exception of a lone monkey. The man knew that he would be hunted so he trained daily. Quietly, the monkey that distrusted him watched, and eventually picked up on the fighter's skills. The assassin's health began to fail, and as the tribe of monkeys tried to save him, the lone monkey objected, eventually fighting the rest of the group with his new found skills. Because of the violence he displayed, the monkey was banished from his clan. However, on his own, he saw a group of men on their way to kill the assassin. He tried to run back and warn his tribe, but it was too late - the assassin had been killed as well as the rest of the monkeys. Furious at his clan's slaughter, the monkey picked up extra guns from a bag and proceeded to kill the entire group of men. Determined to avenge his fallen tribe, the monkey now dedicated his life to killing assassins - under the alias of Hit-Monkey.[10]

Detective Chimp is infinitely better. (y)

The major portion of this episode involves Gorilla Grodd teaming up with the Gorilla Boss of Gotham and Monsieur Mallah to overthrow the humans and put them in zoos so that Grodd can rule Apetopia, and, you know, that’s a good plot. Plus, Detective Chimp! Unfortunately, Chimp’s played for laughs and has some kind of bizarre half-English accent that comes off as the bad kind of silly, rather than the good, though I did enjoy his constant hitting on Vixen. Besides, how many times have you seen Detective Chimp in the last three decades, let alone on television? Exactly. I’m pleased to see the creators of this show dig deeper into the Silver Age and beyond. If the Green Team shows up, I’ll swoon. Also, the teaser features a full-on Jim Aparo version of the Spectre who turns a guy to cheese so that the rats he experimented on will eat him. That’s hardcore for what’s ostensibly a kids’ cartoon (but we all know it’s for the paunchier, balding kids among us).

DetectiveChimpGorillaGrodd.jpg

The First 'Indiana Jones' Comic...From 1950
Creators George Lucas and Steven Spielberg freely admitted, though, that Indiana Jones wasn’t a wholly original idea.

indy_575.jpg

Not to discredit anyone, of course. Lucas and Spielberg brought together a slightly different mix of elements that, along with Harrison Ford’s on-screen charm, make for a great character. But there are some real life archaeologists whose own lives influenced what went into Jones. Men like William McGovern, a professor at Northwestern University whose Wikipedia entries begins, “By age 30, he had already explored the Amazon and braved uncharted regions of the Himalayas, survived revolution in Mexico, studied at Oxford and the Sorbonne and become a Buddhist priest in a Japanese monastery.”

Another real life archaeologist/adventurer that may have lent some inspiration to Indiana Jones was Roy Chapman Andrews. He’s perhaps best known as the first person to discover fossilized dinosaur eggs while searching the Gobi desert in outer Mongolia. His first death-defying escape came when he was in college; surviving a boating accident got people claiming that he was “born under a lucky star.” One of his first professional near-misses was in the jungles of southeast Asia where his assistant caught sight of a 20-foot python in just enough time for Andrews to shoot it with his pistol. There are at least a dozen of stories of him fighting off bandits and, to make the comparison to Indiana Jones complete, he and his team once endured a night of their camp being infested with snakes! He had enough more than enough adventures to warrant his life story being turned into a comic book adventure in 1950!

Andrews got cover-billed as the “Modern Dragon Hunter” in "True Comics" #81 for all the dinosaurs he dug up during his time in Asia. While perhaps not as artfully rendered as Indiana Jones’ comics decades later, and the story’s short length necessitates skipping over many of his adventures, it helped pave the way for comics in that same vein. Andrews may have preferred a campaign hat over a fedora (though the comic erroneously gives him a pith helmet) and skipped on the bullwhip entirely, but it would seem that Indiana Jones was out treasure hunting much earlier than you thought he was!

truecomics21.jpg

truecomics31.jpg

truecomics4.jpg

truecomics5.jpg

truecomics6.jpg

truecomics7.jpg

Le Saboteur

Do you remember Cadillacs & Dinosaurs? Or Xenozoic Tales, the comic the series was based on? If not, go seek it out immediately!

For those of you still with us, please read on!

HalfPastDanger_Header_Sept2012.jpg

Found this @ my local comic shop yesterday. Where Cadillacs & Dinosaurs mashed up a post-apocalyptic world, classic Detroit Steel, and dinosaurs, Half Past Danger draws its inspiration from classic pulp adventures! Nazis, femme fatales, and white-knuckle excitement team up with not so traditional elements -- like ninjas and dinosaurs!

Half Past Danger Synopsis said:
It?s 1943 and Staff Sergeant Thomas Michael Flynn is on a routine mission with his squad on a Japanese island in the South Pacific. When they begin to notice peculiar occurrences such as Nazi campsites and dinosaurs running amok, everything Flynn thought he knew about the war collapses. Two months later, Flynn is back in the United States. Sitting alone at a bar in New York, Flynn is approached by a massive, blonde haired British soldier named Captain John Noble and a striking, enigmatic woman addressing herself as Agent Huntington-Moss of British Intelligence, but he drunkenly brushes them off. What happens next will be the start of Flynn?s journey into the unknown.

And that's just the first twenty-seven pages. There's plenty of potential for high adventure in the subsequent four issues, and it's only limited by the creators' imagination. It should be one heck of a ride.

cheat-half-past-danger1.jpg

Stop by the book's official site for a full ten-page preview!