Do you read comics other than Indiana ones?

Lance Quazar

^Kinda wears his influences on his sleeve, eh?

I would have appreciated perhaps SLIGHTLY more veiled visual shout-outs.

Oh, well. I'm sure it can't be worse than ATHENA VOLTAIRE.

Paden

Yeah, it does seem a tad blatant with regard to some of its sources of inspiration. :)

Even so, it looks like it might be a fun read. It'll give me an excuse to darken the door of the local comic shop.

Montana Smith

I'm glad I found this thread, just so I can tack this onto it.

I?ve been working my way superfast through the Eagle, a comic I originally bought every week since its relaunch in 1982, and still have the free gifts (Space Spinner and Eagle badge!)

I say superfast because there isn?t a lot in them to interest me now. The photo stories, especially, are pretty lame.

However, there was a particular artist who held my attention - José Ortiz - who drew the following black and white stories:

The Tower King (written by Alan Hebden) was memorable for its visuals of a savage modern London in a world without electricity.

The House of Daemon (written by Alan Grant and John Wagner under his T.B. Grover pseudonym) was similar to the theme of the 1986 film House, yet preceding it by four years.

The most readable of them, though, is The Fifth Horseman: A Thaddius Thorn Story (written by Hebden), which appeared in issues 49-69 during 1983.

Seems like it was Thorn?s only story. While the hero may be a lot wealthier and a lot more adept at everything than Indiana Jones, his adventures have that old-fashioned feel about them, despite the contemporary 1983 setting.

All the pages are on these two net pages, though not quite presented in the correct order:

http://theyellowedpages.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=horseman

http://theyellowedpages.blogspot.co...0-08:00&max-results=20&start=17&by-date=false

My superfast zip through the comics has slowed down to re-read this one.

Montana Smith

Indiana Jones: "It's... a leap of faith."

Six years before The Last Crusade, in the Eagle issue dated 25th June 1983 Thaddius Thorn takes a leap of faith and steps onto an invisible bridge over a chasm in search of the answer to an ancient mystery:

DsHdC1X.jpg

Le Saboteur

None of the movie threads seemed appropriate, so I thought I would drop this off here. Bruce Timm may be on the outs with Warner Bros. Animation at the moment, but this is a very fine bit of animation for Superman's 75th Anniversary.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ebXB0lBoaQ0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Perhaps a member of the Upkeep would merge this thread with the present one?

Le Saboteur

LeVar Burton took a moment to remind everybody that this Saturday -- that's May the 3rd on the Gregorian calendar -- is Free Comic Book Day! Swing down to your comic book store and pick up one of sixty different titles!

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Oi8HNxiIsEk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If you're still skeptical about Guardians of the Galaxy, Marvel's giving away two books this year -- one about Rocket and the other a full team tale.

For the rest of you. Yes, you. You know who you are. Kick rocks.

Djd1

I never really got into the whole US superhero comic thing.... For me it was 2000AD with Judge Dredd , Strontium Dog, etc. A mention of Cadillacs and Dinosaurs above reminds me of the 2000AD strip Flesh (from around 1977-78 I think). A meat hungry future society uses time travel to go back and commercially hunt dinosaurs for their meat... chaos ensues...
On the whole 2000AD was so much more gritty than anything US comics offered at the time.

These days I also like to delve back into the collected Dan Dare strips from the 50s and 60s. Nostalgic and beautifully drawn.