History Channel: Indiana Jones and the Ultimate Quest

A_True_Believer

ResidentAlien said:
What's sad is that you'd take offense when I set you straight on MY username.

I never said I took offense to that. In fact, It's interesting to know what your username actually means.

No, it was more about the defensive and callous nature of your reply when nothing in my initial "irony" comment could be considered a personal attack.

sandiegojones

Legendary Times said:
GOOD! And so it should!
I remember seeing you on a National Geographic show I think. You almost made sense...

As interesting as some of these ancient things are, there are much more simple and plausible explanations for them. Until there is a smoking gun I don't think your claims have too much merit.

WillKill4Food

Raiders112390 said:
The Ark is never said in the Bible to contain evil spirits
Who said the spirits in the Ark were evil? They only killed the "bad guys" and anyone who tried to defile the holiness of the Ark.

Anyway, what I really want to convey is that the stories of the Ark, Stones, and Grail are all spiritual, while the story of the Skulls seems to be science-fictional. And the stories of the Ark, Stones, and Grail have never been proven wrong, while there is proof that the Skulls are not from Mesoamerica, but instead from Europe.

Oh, and the story of the Sankara stones was that the stones were given to Sankara, giving them the title of Sankara stones. Thus, they aren't really related to El Dorado, at all.

sandiegojones

WillKill4Food said:
And the stories of the Ark, Stones, and Grail have never been proven wrong, while there is proof that the Skulls are not from Mesoamerica, but instead from Europe.
None have been proven to exist either. Show me the museum where these items can be seen.

The bible is make believe and therefore no less believable than the skulls.

WillKill4Food

sandiegojones said:
None have been proven to exist either. Show me the museum where these items can be seen.
Ark: Hangar 51
Stones: Indian village south of Delhi
Grail: Underneath Grail Temple in the Canyon of the Crescant Moon, near Alexandretta.
;)
No, what I seriously meant was that these stories can't be proven right, but they can't be proven wrong. To reiterate, the Skulls are not actually Mesoamerican.
sandiegojones said:
The bible is make believe and therefore no less believable than the skulls.
:mad: I'll ignore the first half of that sentence, I really don't want another argument like that.
But, anyway, I never said they were more believable. You're putting words in my mouth. But, the Skulls are most likely going to be presented as alien in nature, meaning that the spiritual overtones evident throughout the series are likely to be voided by this new film. Indy is supposed to be after ancient spiritual artifacts; this isn't Stargate.

sandiegojones

WillKill4Food said:
Indy is supposed to be after ancient spiritual artifacts; this isn't Stargate.
Indy is supposed to be after whatever the creators and writers say he is after. Just because you are more accepting of a religious artifact based on your beliefs doesn't mean the character is being misrepresented.

How are aliens not supernatural? According to the reports the skull is from a dead alien but has psychic properties. Is that not supernatural? Most of the skulls have been proven fakes but I do not think the Mitchell-Hedges skull was examined so it's claim to come from Central America (though likely false) is enough for the film to use the El Dorado myth.

I'm not railing on anyone for believing in anything. I have respect for religions and especially for Christianity since it brought civilization to the west, but I do not take the bible stories seriously. I do believe in their messages and morals though, so it's not like I am opposed to religion.

I am also not a UFO believer, but this is a movie so I can suspend my disbelief.

Last edited:

Legendary Times

sandiegojones said:
I remember seeing you on a National Geographic show I think. As interesting as some of these ancient things are, there are much more simple and plausible explanations for them. Until there is a smoking gun I don't think your claims have too much merit.

National Geographic, Discovery, Travel Channel, History Channel, Sci-Fi, Fox, I'm all over the place. I'm tremendously thankful that I'm allowed to live the life I have, traveling around the world chasing mysteries and publishing them in the pages of Legendary Times.

The smoking gun is everywhere - just because some people do not have an open mind to recognize a valid idea does not necessarily mean that it is wrong.

Always remember that the idea that the Earth is at the center of our solar system was not only accepted but set in stone for over 1,500 years before this notion was removed.

What amuses me greatly is that back then, when this false "fact" ruled (!) the mainstream world view, there were as many arrogant punks around (I'm not calling you a punk SDJ) as there are today. Such fierce opposition to new and revolutionary ideas is really nothing new. They, too, clamored and spewed their poison around like theirs was the only way and insulted people who thought outside box.

For as many people as there are out there today screaming bloody murder against the Ancient Astronaut Theory, there are as many agreeing with the concept. That includes university professors, medical doctors, airline pilots, etc.

The fact that some people on here propose (in all seriousness!) that ALL these people are crazy is the height of human arrogance. Such an over-generalization is so close-minded, so stale, so ignorant, that it evokes nothing but deep sadness within me.

I'm always amazed that whenever the Ancient Astronaut Theory is mentioned the only book that people talk about is EvD's Chariots of the Gods. A book that's 40 years old.

How ignorant do you (not you specifically, SDJ!) have to be to base and judge one entire field of study on one book!? To judge it on a book that's 40 years old!? It would be the same as if someone wrote a dissertation on Beethoven's 5th after only hearing the first 8 notes, and then not listening to the rest of the piece!

Anyone with even half a brain will agree that such an argumentation is ludicrous. What about the other, thousands (!) of books that have been written on the topic since by numerous experts, including (!) university professors and doctors? What about the other 36 books EvD has written since Chariots in 1968? Oh, yeah, let's not mention those!

What about the fact that EvD came forward in public (!) and stated that he did make mistakes in Chariots and that he has corrected those mistakes over the years? Ahh! See? No one talks about that! No one mentions the fact that over the years the Ancient Astronaut Theory has eliminated dozens (!) of pieces of evidence because they turned out to be incorrect. Show me one "scientist" who will admit in public (!) that they were wrong. While they do exist, you'll have a hard time finding them. They're far and few between.

By eliminating mistakes, a theory only gets stronger, not weaker.

I am aghast how harshly people judge other people on this Forum without even having met someone in person, without having spent some time with them, without having talked to each other, jumping to utterly false conclusions - and fast! No mercy! No mutual respect! And always below the belt with childish insults, instead of having an intelligent, respectful discourse.

Sometimes it is best, and/or appropriate, that a discussion is simply concluded by saying: We agree to disagree. That's it. There is no need for insults, there is no need for snide remarks and blows below the belt.

The numerous vile insults and unsubstantiated assaults that are dished out in this alleged "fan" community are staggering. Some are under the bizarre spell thinking that they wield some (non-existent!) "power" by having a higher post count etc.

Calling me (and others) "certifiable" etc. and other colorful terms only exposes the people who write such things as imbeciles and arrogant buffoons. Instead of embracing the ideas of others, they are so stuck in their own world view that they start shaking in their boots when something (or someone) comes along that contradicts their frail, core belief system.

This is completely normal and an expected defense mechanism because the idea that extraterrestrials have been an integral part of our human history, is indeed a hard pill to swallow. I'm aware of that. Such an idea frightens them to death and rattles them to the core. To cope, some of them resort to ridiculing an insulting others. And that's ok. I don't blame them. They're not at fault. To some, it's the only way they can clutch onto their world view - and their utter desperation shines through by their questionable actions and insulting ways.

When I get the chance, I'm on here primarily as an Indiana Jones fan, a fan who is excited beyond belief that the new movie will embrace the Ancient Astronaut Theory. But most importantly, because had I not encountered Indiana Jones in my youth, I wouldn't be doing what I do today for a living - and for that I am eternally thankful.

Giorgio A. Tsoukalos, Legendary Times

PS: Watch, inevitably, someone will launch an insult at me for having written what I've posted above - which would only reinforce my point. Watch.

sandiegojones

Legendary Times said:
I am aghast how harshly people judge other people on this Forum without even having met someone in person, without having spent some time with them, without having talked to each other, jumping to utterly false conclusions - and fast! No mercy! No mutual respect! And always below the belt with childish insults, instead of having an intelligent, respectful discourse.

Sometimes it is best, and/or appropriate, that a discussion is simply concluded by saying: We agree to disagree. That's it. There is no need for insults, there is no need for snide remarks and blows below the belt.

The numerous vile insults and unsubstantiated assaults that are dished out in this alleged "fan" community are staggering. Some are under the bizarre spell thinking that they wield some (non-existent!) "power" by having a higher post count etc.
I do not think you're crazy nor would I call you names. I did state that I disagreed although you made a compelling argument from what I saw. I'm just the type of person who believes in what I see. Show me a UFO (and not just some blurry airplane lights on a video) and I'll believe. Show me God (and not just words in a book) and I'll believe. I'm too practical to have faith in things I cannot see.

As far as the negative comments, I agree. That's the problem with technology sometimes. People no longer communicate face to face (and rarely even on the phone) and seem to lose all manners, respect an common decency since they don't have to look at the person or fear repercussions. Technology is funny that way. It's meant to bring people together, but usually does the opposite.

DetectiveFork

I just read an excellent article in an archeology magazine about how the crystal skulls are pretty much all fakes believed to have been made by one man in the 1800s (think it was). The same guy is believed to have made the statue that the fertility idol in Raiders was based off of.

Jim Tigernuts

sandiegojones said:
I do not think you're crazy nor would I call you names.

I think he's crazy. The man's a nut! He's crazy in the coconut!

But seriously, I don't believe any of the other supernatural themes in Indy, and I highly doubt that Lucas and Spielberg do. They're just fun, fanciful stories.

Maybe Mr Legendary Times should think about enrolling in a course in critical thinking. Those skills might come in handy.

Kingsley

I agree with Miss Spalko and WillKill4food, Indy isn't Science Fiction.
Science Fiction can even be considered the opposite to Supernatural or Spiritual, because it relies in some kind of scientific and rational background to give sense to the world it creates.

What scares me is the possibility that an ancient astronaut could end being a "rational" explanation to the mistery the Ark has, for example... :eek:

Playmount

Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence

Legendary Times said:
The smoking gun is everywhere

Proof by assertion. Be specific.

Legendary Times said:
Just because some people do not have an open mind to recognize a valid idea does not necessarily mean that it is wrong.

Of course not. Who is suggesting otherwise? The validity of a claim is determined by the evidence and by conducting tests and making predictions. So what is your evidence? What are your tests? What are your predictions?

Legendary Times said:
Always remember that the idea that the Earth is at the center of our solar system was not only accepted but set in stone for over 1,500 years before this notion was removed.

False analogy. Leaving aside for the moment that Aristarchus of Samos first speculated that the sun was the center of the known universe nearly 2 millennia before Copernicus (not to mention the other Mesopotamian, Indian and Muslim astronomers who had also advocated a Heliocentric model in the many centuries before Copernicus)... the reason heliocentrism eventually won out is because Copernicus presented a fully predictive mathematical model with observational consequences that could be tested.

Once this happened, a sun centered model with elliptical, off-center planetary orbits became the simplest and most accurate one to predict the motion of the planets.

The Ancient Astronaut speculation (I wouldn't call it a theory) fails because, not only is it inconsistent with what we already know about the ancient cultures of the world, it violates the maxim not to multiply complexities beyond necessity (Occam's Razor). Prehistoric peoples were fully capable of producing their own art, technology and culture. There is zero credible evidence that aliens are responsible for the most ancient civilizations on earth.

Legendary Times said:
For as many people as there are out there today screaming bloody murder against the Ancient Astronaut Theory, there are as many agreeing with the concept. That includes university professors, medical doctors, airline pilots, etc.

Anonymous authorities. Which university professors? Which medical doctors and airline pilots? (Do they have Archaeological credentials? Have they published their ancient astronaut speculations in peer-reviewed journals?) This is an appeal to authority, pure and simple. If we don't know the source of the information we have no way to evaluate the reliability of the information.

Jim Tigernuts said:
Maybe Mr Legendary Times should think about enrolling in a course in critical thinking. Those skills might come in handy.

Agreed. (y)

Well said, Playmount.

Though it's pointless to try and stress Occam's Razor to him; last time I tried he just directed his argument directly at me rather than assert his claims.

Lemme see if I can dredge up that old debate. It was damn good reading if I do say so myself.

EDIT:

http://raven.theraider.net/showpost.php?p=260800&postcount=187

There we go!

"I read your posts" and this and that about me! Tries to dodge Occam's Razor... tsk, tsk.

http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=11456&page=12

There's the rest of the thread. Do try and read as much of it as you can will yourself to. The bit about logical fallacies was the most amusing.