History Channel: Indiana Jones and the Ultimate Quest

Gabeed said:
I can't possibly imagine that this rant/post will change your worldview nor shake your belief in any way, but I thought I'd regurgitate out my "sleep-deprived, recent college grad" opinion anyway. Utterly switching gears (and tone, for that matter), I listen/fall asleep to Coast to Coast AM just about every night and find it totally awesome that you've been on there.

Probably not-- since he abandoned the board (thankfully!) two years ago...

Gabeed

:eek:

Completely missed the date of his post. Whoops. Good thing I was watching TV and the long post I typed wasn't a complete waste of time. ;)

I guess in a way I'm grateful he won't reply--a long, drawn out multi-quote debate would probably ensue that I would not have the patience or knowledge of bat****-crazy stuff to endure.

Concerning the History Channel . . . is it just me, or is it just 99% comprised of either WW2 clips or some inane pseudo-scientific show regarding aliens, the Freemasons, or Atlantis being near Japan? I stopped watching it a couple years ago, but I remember the last time I watched it, it was a show on the Battle of Qadesh. I remember being so thankful that I wasn't watching a dude trying to find the Templars underneath New York, or yet another 30 minutes of stock footage of the Battle of the Bulge. It's unfortunate that the History Channel feels it has to stick to such things to maintain an audience. History can be presented as incredibly interesting without the influences of Dan Brown or Erich von Daniken.

Gabeed said:
:eek:

Completely missed the date of his post. Whoops. Good thing I was watching TV and the long post I typed wasn't a complete waste of time. ;)

I guess in a way I'm grateful he won't reply--a long, drawn out multi-quote debate would probably ensue that I would not have the patience or knowledge of bat****-crazy stuff to endure.

Concerning the History Channel . . . is it just me, or is it just 99% comprised of either WW2 clips or some inane pseudo-scientific show regarding aliens, the Freemasons, or Atlantis being near Japan? I stopped watching it a couple years ago, but I remember the last time I watched it, it was a show on the Battle of Qadesh. I remember being so thankful that I wasn't watching a dude trying to find the Templars underneath New York, or yet another 30 minutes of stock footage of the Battle of the Bulge. It's unfortunate that the History Channel feels it has to stick to such things to maintain an audience. History can be presented as incredibly interesting without the influences of Dan Brown or Erich von Daniken.

Not just you. History Channel Nuked the Fridge years ago. Ever since they adopted the slogan "History is Made Every Day," it's been absolute garbage. Just another cable channel showing crappy slice-of-life reality programming. Why I need to see guys chopping down trees on a channel that supposedly caters to history programming is beyond me.

Dr.Jonesy

ResidentAlien said:
Just another cable channel showing crappy slice-of-life reality programming. Why I need to see guys chopping down trees on a channel that supposedly caters to history programming is beyond me.

I completely agree with that. I used to love that channel. Now it's all this reality crap. I really don't give a s#it about some chunky guys driving across ice in a truck. Children can do that, for God's sake. How the hell did eveyone's job become worthy of a reality show??

I blame MTV for starting the reality show craze and I shame the History Channel for catering to the trend.

Montana Smith

Dr.Jonesy said:
I completely agree with that. I used to love that channel. Now it's all this reality crap. I really don't give a s#it about some chunky guys driving across ice in a truck. Children can do that, for God's sake. How the hell did eveyone's job become worthy of a reality show??

I blame MTV for starting the reality show craze and I shame the History Channel for catering to the trend.

The same crap eventually arrives on our terrestial screens in the UK. Something like Ice-Road Truckers is interesting once, but they turn it into a soap opera.

I haven't read this thread in a while, but I think it's the same documentary we saw over here. It told the history of the Mitchell-Hedges skull from the time he bought in it auction, but his daughter keeps up the pretense that it's the real deal with mystic powers!

Montana Smith

Dr.Jonesy said:
Damn, and I was gonna move there someday too!
:p

Maybe I'm looking through the rose-tinted spectacles, but I'm sure there used to be some really good investigative history programmes on TV. Now it seems that most history shows have a big build-up leading to a five minute non-revelation that they could have told you in the first five minutes (that same first five minutes that whet your appetite before the first ad break!)

Matt deMille

I'm arriving late in this debate, but just to sum up all the Ancient Alien theory not having validity because the mainstream frowns upon it, let me say this: The mainstream is often wrong. Inventions and innovations, by their very nature, challenge the establishment. From electricity to evolution, all theories are said to be ridiculous.

Truth goes through three stages: First it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and finally it is accepted as self-evident.

Ancient Aliens is going through the "violent opposition" stage right now. Why? Because mainstream academia has to defend its entrenched dogma. Their funding depends on it. Same reason many problems continue -- The people with the power to make changes for the greater good (like a museum admitting that a crystal skull is not and could not be man-made) do not think of the greater good. They only think of their little position, their paycheck, and their own self-delusional dogma.

Trust me, ancient aliens is a valid theory, and during the 21st century it will prove to be THE most important aspect of our reality.

Now, since this *is* an Indiana Jones site, I should say that I enjoyed "Raiders" far better than "Kingdom", despite my knowledge of the alien reality as well as seeing the Bible and all religious faith as utter trash. Raiders was simply the better made movie.

Now, where will this debate go next . . . ?

Montana Smith

Matt deMille said:
Trust me, ancient aliens is a valid theory, and during the 21st century it will prove to be THE most important aspect of our reality.

despite my knowledge of the alien reality as well as seeing the Bible and all religious faith as utter trash.

Now, where will this debate go next . . . ?

I don't know. A new thread might be a start. It sounds entertaining...

Athenee

History Channel going downhill

DetectiveFork said:
I enjoyed the late showing of The Ultimate Quest that aired a few nights ago, although I fell asleep for a bit and missed the part about the Crystal Skulls. :eek:
The part of this special that caught me the most off-guard was the guy who claimed he found the Holy Grail. I'm not sure if he was making that all up, but it was surely a great story. Does anyone remember his name? I want to read more about him and his supposed discovery.
Boy, some people here really ravaged "IJATUQ" in 2008 before they saw it! (No, not you, Detective Fork!)

Personally, I think the show was worthwhile (Demarest and the dangerous critters: "Snakes are stupid, tarantulas are cute, scorpions are obnoxious--but it's the mosquitos that'll kill you.") And not only that, but my hub and I have DVR now, and a DVD player/recorder...

Firstly, the Holy Grail (Monty Python jokes excluded) possibly could have been a First Century C.E. locally-made Roman glass cup (a theory I think was made in one of those numerous "DaVinci Code" quasi-documentaries when the movie came out), even though the new testament refers to inguent in an 'alabaster jar'.

Secondly, yeah, the History Channel has been going downhill, but they still have "The Universe", and it's still rigorously hard-science (so far, but you can never tell... ), which I need because I've been working on an original, hard-SF novel that needs a lot of astronomy in it.

Thirdly, regarding "IJKCS": by now everyone should have the turbo-charged "Special Edition" version of the DVDs. In there somewhere, George 'n' Steve explained that, because the movie is set in 1957--when the Red Scare and sci-fi B movies ruled--they went with that notion. Seriously, would you have wanted Atomic Ants or the Monkey King? (Two ideas that were thrown out); I feel their decision was valid.

If you've taped/DVR'd "IJATUQ", watch some of the footage with Professor Conyers in Ethiopia and the Keeper of the 'Ark'--okay, granted, they may not have great healthcare there, but Keepers dying off every two, three years? It makes me wonder just what's in that temple.

Besides, I'll watch Harrison Ford until he can't move and it gets embarassing (like Roger Moore, "View to a Kill"), and I'll definitely watch Cate Blanchett and/or John Hurt buckling swash and chewing scenery (in a good way!). John Hurt is a much under-rated actor; get the 1984 production of Orwell's "Nineteen Eighty-Four" and you'll see; he went through the wringer for that movie. Bummer that Richard Burton was dying when he made it; he could have really subtly chewed the scenery if he had been well.

Lastly, I haven't been here since 2009, but I'll throw a couple things out: just because Indy and Marion are married, do you seriously think they're going to have an idyllic, stereotypic 1950s life? (Marion Ravenwood? She knows how to think and isn't afraid of doing so...) I think Mutt will stay Mutt just because he has that stubborn streak from both parents.

I haven't read other posts here yet, so I don't know what people think Indy 5 might be, but how about either something about Machu Pichu or Percy Fawcett's "Lost City of Z"? See David Grann's 2005/2009 book; The Lost City of Z, by David Grann, 2009, New York: Doubleday; ISBN-13: 978-038551353-1. I'm only a quarter of the way through it (because of my d@#n! novel), but it's very interesting and Indy-esque.

Maybe we need Professor Oxley wigging out and channeling another extinct pre-Columbian native language to drag Indy and Mutt back to South America; and of course, if you think Marion will stay home quietly, we all know how that will go over...:eek:

History International tonight at 9pm EST

UltimateQuest.jpg

History_International_2008.png

Montana Smith

I just remembered that this was the thread where I posted the following to Matt deMille:

Smiffy said:
I don't know. A new thread might be a start. It sounds entertaining...

:D

If nothing else, The Ancient Aliens proved to be an entertaining sideshow.

Anyway, back on track, it doesn't look like this synopsis of the show has been posted in this thread:

Indiana Jones and the Ultimate Quest

Indiana Jones and the Ultimate Quest is a television documentary that premiered on the History Channel in the United States on May 18, 2008. The program airs over the course of two hours (with commercial breaks), which is broken out into several chapters that each focus on a different aspect of archaeology and how it relates to the Indiana Jones franchise.

Chapters

■ Passion for the Past ? experts discuss their relationship with, and inspiration from, the Indiana Jones franchise.
■ Artifact and Fiction ? examines the truth behind Raiders of the Lost Ark?s search for the Ark of the Covenant.
■ Tombs and Temples ? focus on Temple of Doom?s Sankara Stones as well as ancient cults, human sacrifice, and evil magic.
■ Relics and Icons ? stories told of Last Crusade?s relationship with historical fact, focusing on history and theories about the Holy Grail.
■ Don't Look Now ? an observation of the real dangers archaeologists face including snakes, supernatural warnings, rival archaeologists and militant groups.
■ Plunder or Preservation ? grave robbers and profiting from archaeological finds, modern laws to protect and repatriate antiquities, and the acknowledgment of sacred artifacts.
■ The Future of the Past ? how technology is changing the field of archaeology, such as ground penetrating radar, satellite imagery in finding sites, and digital reconstruction of sites.
■ Secrets and Skulls ? secrets of the mythic 13 crystal skulls, including the Mitchell-Hedges Skull.
■ The Ultimate Quest ? the search for who we are and what it all means.

Interviewees

■ Marc Zender, PhD, anthropologist, Harvard University
■ Robert R. Cargill, PhD, archaeologist, UCLA
■ Elizabeth Lev, Professor of Art History, Duquesne University
■ Joan Breton Connelly, PhD, Professor of Classic and Art History, NYU
■ Robert Mullins, archaeologist, Azusa Pacific University
■ William Saturno, PhD, archaeologist, NASA
■ Kathryn Bard, PhD, archaeologist, Boston University
■ Graham Hancock, author, The Sign and the Seal
■ Christopher Bellitto, PhD, Asst. Professor of History, Kean University
■ Rabbi S. David Sperling, PhD, Hebrew Union College
■ Lawrence B. Conyers, PhD, archaeologist, University of Denver
■ John Rick, PhD, archaeologist, Stanford University
■ Regulo Franco Jordan, Director, El Brujo Archaeological Project
■ Vicente Nolasco Alejandria, shaman
■ Dr. Luis Milliones, anthropologist, University of San Marcos
■ Graham Phillips, author, The Chalice of Magdalene
■ Father Greg Apparcel, CSP, Vatican Expert
■ Father John Wauck, Prelature of Opus Dei
■ John Thavis, Rome Bureau Chief, Catholic News Service
■ Maria Jaoudi, PhD, Prof. of Religious Studies, CSU Sacramento
■ Willie E. Dye, PhD, Biblical Archaeologist
■ Arthur Demarest, PhD, archaeologist, Vanderbilt University
■ Julio Ibarrola-Quizoz, archaeologist, San Jose de Moro, Peru
■ Roger Atwood, author, Stealing History
■ Dr. Walter Alva, director, Royal Tombs of Sipán Museum
■ Ulla Holmquist, curator, Larco Museum
■ Chris Morton, author, The Mystery of the Crystal Skulls
■ JoAnn Parks, crystal skull owner
■ Nels Gullerud, spiritual teacher
■ Don Kenny, crystal skull enthusiast
■ Giorgio A. Tsoukalos, director, Center for Ancient Astronaut Research

Official description

Throughout history there have been legendary artifacts that have captured the imagination of adventurers everywhere. While belief in their existence seems to fly in the face of reason and science, there have been those who have devoted their lives to their discovery. One man has looked for some of these remarkable treasures. He is Indiana Jones--professor of archeology and an adventurer who has uncovered some of the world's greatest mysteries. But Dr. Jones is just a fictitious character and it's widely assumed that the artifacts he searched for were also figments of a writer's imagination. But were they?

Credits

■ Executive Producer: Kevin Burns
■ Co-Executive Producers: Kim Sheerin, Scott Hartford
■ Directors: Kevin Burns, Nikki Boella
■ Producer: Nikki Boella
■ Writers: Nikki Boella, Kevin Burns, David Comtois
■ Narrator: Robert Clotworthy
■ Senior Editor: David Comtois
■ Editors: Matthew Luhrman, Molly Shock, Titus Heard, Damon Brewster
■ Associate Producers: Patrick Sheehan, Mindy Pomper Johnson
■ Researcher: Timothy Crehan
■ Production Assistant: Amber Isbilen
■ Line Producer: Michelle Katz
■ Post Production Producer: Gregory S. Cohen
■ Prometheus Entertainment ■ Director of Rights & Clearances: Mary DeMaria
■ Business & Legal Affairs: Steven J. Peña

■ Lucasfilm Ltd. ■ Executive Producers: Howard Roffman, Kayleen Walters

■ History ■ Programming Coordinator: Adam Rosante
■ Executive Producer: Charles Nordlander

■ Produced by Prometheus Enertainment with History and Lucasfilm Ltd.
■ © 2008 Lucasfilm Ltd. All Rights Reserved

Montana Smith said:
I just remembered that this was the thread where I posted the following to Matt deMille:
Originally Posted by Smiffy
I don't know. A new thread might be a start. It sounds entertaining..
...and it twas! Too bad "Legendary Times" wasn't around to fuel the fire:

images

I wouldn't even ask that guy for directions, thorazine maybe...research no.

Shame they didn't lump the skull portion into the phony fake fraud facet of archaeology.

modernindy

Questing For Indiana Jones and the Ultimate Quest

Hey everyone! Sorry to necropost, but is there a version of Indiana Jones and the Ultimate Quest anywhere out there? I've been looking for quite some time and found nothing. Can anyone help me out here? I'd love to find this (other than the low-resolution, audio-less YouTube version...). Thanks, all!

modernindy

Finn said:
Why? <tencharacters>

On other forums I've been on, bringing up long-dead topics can irritate members, as it pushes down new content in favor of the old stuff that some can see as settled or now uninteresting. Just trying to be polite

Finn

Staff member
modernindy said:
On other forums I've been on, bringing up long-dead topics can irritate members, as it pushes down new content in favor of the old stuff that some can see as settled or now uninteresting.
Yeah, figured as much, actually.

FYI, we're a bit different here. We don't just tolerate it, we in fact actively encourage it. If you come across something interesting while browsing through the archive and feel like you might have something to add, go for it. No need to apologize anyone, least of all the board upkeep.