Indy 4 Lovers Thread

mikieson

Raiders112390 said:
Just wanted to bump this and see if there is anyone else besides me on here in 2016 who really enjoy(ed)s this movie?
i love it..i dont over analyze things like movies "or i try not to"..ive liked it and stood up for it from day one.

Joe Brody

Raiders112390 said:
Just wanted to bump this and see if there is anyone else besides me on here in 2016 who really enjoy(ed)s this movie?

[half jokingly to mods]Can't we at least shut this one down? (Pale Horse's academic interests in studying evolving opinions over time be d*med)

In lieu, I suggest a KotCS support thread for the people who purport to love the film but fail to make a full disclosure that their support stems from having worked on the film or having a relative that worked on the film -- because let's face it, that's the only plausible reason for anyone to spend time trying to defend it.

Finn

Staff member
Joe Brody said:
[half jokingly to mods]Can't we at least shut this one down? (Pale Horse's academic interests in studying evolving opinions over time be d*med)
I'm tempted, but... no. After all, he actually bumped an existing thread instead of opening a new one. It's progress, and to put him down like that could actually lead to severe regression in his condition.

Raiders90

Joe Brody said:

In lieu, I suggest a KotCS support thread for the people who purport to love the film but fail to make a full disclosure that their support stems from having worked on the film or having a relative that worked on the film -- because let's face it, that's the only plausible reason for anyone to spend time trying to defend it.

My support comes from genuinely enjoying the film. I was 17 when it came out and no, I didn't work on the film or have a relative work on it. I defend it because I don't like when films are unfairly maligned. Gen Xers are very melodramatic (I.E. "George Lucas raped my childhood!")...Was KOTCs an amazing, astounding film? Far from it. Was it the ideal Indy 4? No. But was it a bad film, horrendous, Plan 9 From Outer Space Pt. II, as some act like it was? No. It was a thoroughly enjoyable B movie in a family of B movies. The only genuinely "GREAT" movie in the series is Raiders...All the other 3 are B movie action films. KOTCS sits comfortably among them. I love Indiana Jones, but I don't take the movies that seriously, and I didn't grow up in the '80s, so I don't let nostalgia blind me a good - not great, not horrible - film.

NightWalker81

I love the movie! :whip: I grew up with the originals and I love them. They are a very important movies in my life, they have inspired me much. But I don't consider fair the treat to Indy 4 on the majority of the net.

As for me, I enjoyed the film, I clapped, I laughed, I was thrilled and I felt sensations I thought were lost in the cinema world. Sure the film is not like the others (I think it doesn't pretend either). And sure the film is not as perfect as the others and it has some up and downs along the minutes... but... anyway, the good weights much more than the bad for me. I think Harrison was wonderful, I love the Area 51 sequence and I really enjoy this film every time I see it. I prefer have this movie than not to have it. I'm really glad with what Indy 4 was.

Indyfan82

Isn't it funny how people go to movie theaters and have completely different experiences? This is why it's really hard to definitively label any movie as "good" or "bad"- as Albert Einstein said, it's all relative!
Some people like the movie and some people LOVE the movie. Some people dislike the movie and some people HATE the movie.
And then you have some that are a mixture- I liked parts, but disliked other parts. I loved parts, but hated other parts. And so forth.
For the record, I personally LOVE "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull"- just as I LOVE "Raiders of the Lost Ark", "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" and "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade". They have ALL been great movies! (in my opinion, of course.)
And yes- I can't wait to LOVE the 5th. Indy movie too.:whip: :cool:

I'm just gonna drop my name in here, too. I've always enjoyed Crystal Skull, saw it four times in the cinema, and I've never fully understood why it takes quite so much flak. It's far from a perfect film - I hate the vine swinging and quicksand scenes in particular - but overall I think it's fun and I always really enjoy it. It sits somewhere ahead of Temple of Doom and well behind Last Crusade in my personal ranking of the films.

Dr.Sartorius

I enjoyed the movie the first few times I saw it in theaters. It doesn't have the same rewatchability as the originals but the first 30-45 minutes of the movie are classic Indy. Just wish the rest of the movie was like that.

IndyBuff

I still think this film is a blast. I saw it five times in theaters and have watched it a dozen more times at home. I watched it again last night and I still think it's a solid film. It has some flaws and there are definitely some things I would have cut or done differently, but the pros far outweigh the cons for me. I'm glad to see that so many other fans love it as well!(y)

Dr.Jonesy

Still my 2nd favorite of the series.

It doesn't come close to Raiders - none of the sequels do. Let me be clear on that. This franchise has one classic and three solid follow ups, as far as I'm concerned.

Indy86

This is my little review on KOTCS.

For starters, I don't hate it. Let's be clear on that one but it doesn't live up to Raiders, Temple or LC. Can't say I love it but I like it to certain extend. I've done some reading and I've read the things that bothered me as well. And I have to admit the movie starts with a blast and is well paced for at least half of the time, maybe even 60% of the movie. But the last half hour, forty minutes, the movie starts to sputter terribly and just can't recover. From the moment Indy and Mutt are captured and brought deeper into the jungle, the movie takes a nosedive.

The whole scene in the camp when we finally reunite with Marion and Ox was pretty good. One greatly missed opportunity for a nod to Raiders was that I expected Marion would hit Indy. As a nod to Raiders and to show that Marion was still as feisty as she was in Raiders.

I liked the fact that Indy was working with the Russians no matter how that may have seemed in the 50's. There seemed to be a certain respect between him and Spalko which we can't deny. And despite his capture Indy didn't seem worried at all. Maybe this is just the age and experience from all his adventures. I just can't help but think everything was more exciting during the 30's and 40's and that if you survived World War II, you're not easily impressed anymore. Things just looked a little darker in the first three movies when he was captured. Nazis opening the ark, not knowing what to expect. Mola Ram making him drink blood after he saw the sacrifice and abused children or Elsa's betrayal. After all the Russians were dancing at the campfire. I can't see Nazis or Thuggees doing the same. Anyway, I think Mutt ruins the scene with an unnecessary escape attempt which fails fantastically. A little highlight was Marion saying Mutt's name was Henry and that Indy thought it was a good name. And I'm sure there was a better way to bring in Indy's slithering friend into a scene.

The jungle chase... honestly. The truck chase, the mine carts, the tank, those were the days. The jungle chase doesn't even get to the heels of those scenes. The tank battle has great minor humoristic moments. I think it's a lot funnier to shoot three guys with one bullet and have this WTF moment than trying to balance between two cars and getting bushes and branches in your nuts. Marion also seem to get branches in her face for no reason at all. It's not funny, sorry. And I'm not getting started on Mutt's monkey swing. If they kept out that and the 'funny' moments and really tried to make this scene as exciting as the truck chase or the mine carts or the tank, the movie would've been better. And I can understand that great vehicle scene was shorter, the track hardly last 4,5 minutes compared to the 8-10 minutes of the truck or the tank scenes, because it might be too physically demanding for Ford. I did notice a certain absense first time I saw it.

I'm actually really glad there was the final fight between Indy and Dovchenko. It was a great highlight in the suffering last part of the movie. And to be honest, despite Harrison's aging, I like to address something here. As long he can do fight scenes, I'm good with an older Indy. I'd rather see him engage in a fight than in long foot chases. And yes, Dovchenko has a cool death moment.

Than the movie sputters to the next great scene when they reach the top of the pyramid and find their way in. The whole alien (interdimensional being) thing was well maybe a little anti-climatic. But I can understand the interest in it. It were the 50's after all and sci-fi was getting popular in the movies at the time. Maybe it was the next step, I don't know. I always had the idea, people learned their lessons after World War II. Before that, the occult or Biblical matters seemed to reign at the time. It's just this thing that I always wondered that once the war was over everything seemed to calm down and adventures like Raiders or ToD and LC just seemed like wild stories. Even in Indy's world. People who die horrible deaths; melting faces, aging rapidly over fortune and glory and that evil forces like the Third Reich would take over the world because they're meddling with powers beyond their imagination... Maybe there was just more mystery to the world before and during the war.

Now if they at least skipped the unnecessary escape attempt and took out the humor in the jungle chase the movie would've been a lot better. Just one more thing... Mac constantly switching sides didn't do the movie any good either. Either he's a good guy turned bad or he's just a bad guy. But the constant switching was distracting and didn't help the movie either. Or he should've switched back to good in the tent as double agent but, triple agent is a little much.

Conclusion: despite a poor last half hour to forty minutes the movie is enjoyable. I do admit I watched the movie twice at the theatres during the release. And yes, I would watch it again but for a whole other reason than Indy and that is Cate Blanchett, because in the last part of the movie I had the idea she was the only one who kept the movie going in my opinion. That's what I understand why Irina Spalko seems so intriguing as a villain. It's still a little hard to give a her a place in the top 4. But as far as I'm concerned she and the movie deserves a well deserved fourth place. :whip:

Last edited:

Outofmyhouse

Guilty as charged. It was actually the first Indy movie I saw when I caught it on tv once. Well, besides when I saw the opening of the ark at a friend's house at the age of 11 or so and was scarred for life.
Anyway, this is the movie that first grabbed me in and sparked my interest.

Le Saboteur

Nathan Lawrence said:
It?s easy to bag out Indiana Jones? fourth cinematic outing, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, because, frankly, there?s plenty wrong with it. You don?t have to look too far on the Infernal Google Machine to see ramblings, listicles, and video rants dedicated to this very topic.

As much as I used to revel in denying its existence, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull isn?t the Jar-Jar-Binks-filled, sand-everywhere, Han-Shot-first travesty that?s otherwise known as George Lucas? bad touch in the post-Original Trilogy world. So, in the spirit of defying Metacritic User Review logic where if something isn?t a 10 it can only possibly be a 0, let?s break down the pros of Indy?s fourth cinematic outing.

Nathan Lawrence said:
Part of that practical awesomeness was insisted upon by leading man Harrison Ford. He reportedly insisted on using his own whip, even though Paramount apparently wanted it to be CG. It?s kind of like how Hugh Jackman was allowed to use practical Wolverine claws originally, before poking a few too many stuntmen in the eyes. Ford, it seems, was a gun with his whip. He also performed most of his own stunts, despite his age (66 at the time). He even encouraged screenwriter David Koepp to include more jokes relating to Indy?s age.

Full article: Sympathy for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

IndyBuff

I read that article the other day and thought it made some good points. Crystal Skull does have some legitimate problems, yet it also gets a lot right and compared to the Star Wars prequels it does look and feel like more effort was poured into it.

Raiders90

Watched all the Indy films for the first time in about a year with my girlfriend for the first time. I have to say that KOTCS has aged very well. I went from being let down by the film back in 2008, to hating it, to loving it, now I really enjoy it. It's not a necessary film, it works as a fun epilogue, but it for me stands beside the original three films and is enjoyable from start to finish. The only things I would change would be to get rid of the sword fight between Spalko and Mutt and to have Indy use his whip at least once and shoot a few people. Other than that, I've really come to embrace it as part of the family. It's not on par with the originals; it's different, but different can be good. I really enjoy it. It's the most just brainless fun out of the four films.

Udvarnoky

I stopped reading that article when it began its defense by asserting that the movie "had the right look, at the very least."

Forbidden Eye

Anyone watching this film today for its 10th Anniversary?

Time flies. I?m more sad that a decade has passed and Indy 5 still isn?t a reality.

Sea Monarch

Forbidden Eye said:
Anyone watching this film today for its 10th Anniversary?

Time flies. I?m more sad that a decade has passed and Indy 5 still isn?t a reality.

Hey, Forbes 👁. Meant to respond earlier, but I was tied up with work. I'm definitely bout to ride that crazy train known as Indiana Jones and the kingdom of the Crystal Skull!!

The original release date has been branded into my mind, just as the original release date for Last Crusade is also permanently in my memory! I highly anticipated both while keeping my expectations in check. Mainly I looked forward to having a new adventure I knew nothing about prior to going in and wanted a good popcorn flick and roller coaster ride, and all the Indiana Jones movies have delivered that for me each in their own way!

It's not quite midnight yet where I'm at, so without further ado,

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO INDIANNA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL!!

Sea Monarch

BTW, thanks for remembering, Forbidden Eye! I'm glad I'm not the only one. And yes, it is kind of amazing and sad, or at least Bitter Sweet how fast time flies. Still trying to wrap my mind around how quickly this last decade flew by for me.

I remember the summer that brought me Crystal Skull, The Dark Knight, Iron Man, Incredible Hulk and Viva La Vida, new friendships and new memories like it was 2 or three years ago.

I also remember, when the big 3 in George Lucas's camp proclaimed they plan to "Fordge" a 5th Indy adventure, and that they were just working on a story, I was thinking, "okay, well hopefully it won't be more than five or six years from now Max. But if its 8 years or more, I don't know if I'll even be interested then, or if it's such a good idea at that point."

Didn't think I'd have to wait this long again, but despite what I thought then, I'm still open to it if it's done right and still excited to see Indiana Jones on the big screen at least one more time!

I would love it if they have a good enough story to justify making it a two-part story and filming it back to back or simultaneously!