Indy catches egg in ToD deleted scene?

Pasadena Jones

I have read several posts regarding Indy catching an egg while sleeping on Lao Che's plane in Temple of Doom. I remember this moment clearly (yes, I know it's in the novelization).

The pilot tells the co-pilot to go shoot Indy. When the co-pilot goes into the back, he sees Indy catch an egg while sleeping. He returns to the cockpit spooked. That's when they decide to dump the fuel and parachute out.

Notice the co-pilot's behavior as he passes the sleeping Indy...he's scared and wimpering!

I have a picture of the Pilot handing a gun to the co-pilot a gun to shoot Indy. Where is this scene, why have I seen it and why doesn't anyone else remember it?? I can't seem to post the image here. Can I email it to someone to post?

IAdventurer01

Post the image yourself! :D
  • Step 1: First you need to get the image onto the internet. If on the internet already, skip step 2.
  • Step 2: Upload using http://www.photobucket.com/ or someplace like that.
  • Step 3: Copy the location of the picture
  • Step 4: Post and type "
    " after.
  • Step 5: IF STEP 4 DOES NOT WORK OR IS TOO DIFFICULT: Simply post the location of the picture and let us put in in our own URL bars. :p

I hope that was helpful and I look forward to seeing what you are talking about. I personally have never heard of this scene. Sounds interesting...

... oh, and Welcome to the Raven!

Pasadena Jones

here's the link

This is from Indianajones.com, a pretty reliable source.

http://www.indianajones.com/museum/exhibit/scrapbook/scrapbook052.html

Quote Webley:

"I alwas thought that co-pilot acted weird when he goes by Doc. Jones"

Yes, exactly. In the currect cut, there is nothing that would make the co-pilot act this way. Who knows why it's not on the DVD. But the production still and the corresponding quote under it about "debating Indy's future" sure points to the fact that this scene was filmed in one form or another.

Webley

So what we are talking about was actually flimed and than cut :confused: Dam thats cool

You learn something new a bout Indy ever day:whip:

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Wow... Never heard of that deleted scene before. Have you guys ever noticed that Spielberg films on DVD never really show Deleted Scenes as a Special Feature? These days, GL does with the new SW films but not with the old ones. Why? Has the deleted scenes on film been destroyed over time in storage?

Pasadena Jones said:
Yes, exactly. In the currect cut, there is nothing that would make the co-pilot act this way.

Nothing? Don't forget it's the 1930s, not too many people have been know to jump out of a plane at that time. Wouldn't you be a bit scared jumping out of a plane into some place high in the mountians? Plus he didn't want to wake Indy in the off chance that Indy would live I'd say his boss would be pretty pissed off about it. More things to worry about then Indy.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Violet Indy said:
Wow... Never heard of that deleted scene before. Have you guys ever noticed that Spielberg films on DVD never really show Deleted Scenes as a Special Feature? These days, GL does with the new SW films but not with the old ones. Why? Has the deleted scenes on film been destroyed over time in storage?

From what I understand, Unca George is waiting to put those scenes into an Über-edition release of the trilogy in a few years...to help stir up interest in the up-coming Star Wars TV show.

There was tons of features that didn't make it into the Indy DVDs. A friend of mine was working on them for a while and said that They had made a decision to wait on most of the special features because there might be a Special Edition released someday. That same friend thinks that there indeed might be an Indiana Jones and the ... Special Edition of all three films to help juice up the release of Indy IV.

Guess we will see if that happens.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
If that happens, that'll be pretty cool. I always thought that they would do a special edition of the Indy trilogy at some stage (This thought was before the DVD boxset) and was a little annoyed that the special features were just interviews. I would been happier if they had included deleted scenes and outtakes.

DaBrode

I love these forums. I learn new stuff about the movies I love so much every time I'm here. Thanks for posting this! :whip:

Chris Jones

DaBrode said:
I love these forums. I learn new stuff about the movies I love so much every time I'm here. Thanks for posting this! :whip:

I know, i just leanred something that i didn't know either. I'd like to see the pic he has if he posts it up.

Pasadena Jones

Edward The Head said:
Plus he didn't want to wake Indy in the off chance that Indy would live I'd say his boss would be pretty pissed off about it. More things to worry about then Indy.

Good point. But that doesn't explain the fact that the scene appears in the novelization, and has a corresponding production still. Anyway, just trying to get to the bottom of this 20+ year mystery for me!!

BTW, are you a Maiden fan, perhaps? Up the Irons!

CMNeir said:
I know, i just leanred something that i didn't know either. I'd like to see the pic he has if he posts it up.

here's the pic again:

http://www.indianajones.com/museum/exhibit/scrapbook/scrapbook052.html

Slagar

An egg. Wow. Well If the scene was cut, there little chance it's still out there. But who knows, it could be stocked up somewhere.

JerryKing

Spielberg has objected to adding anything worthwile to the releases of his films ever since his laughable "spiritual revival". His illness has manifested itself in the form of other such decisions - replacing guns with walkie-talkies, refusing to allow anyone to do film commentaries...

Lucas includes deleted scenes and extras, of course, but not as far as the original trilogy is concerned... probably because he dislikes the films as they were then. They exist to him in the modified, post-1997 forms. He vows to never release the original cuts on DVD (although Lucasarts does not fight the numerous fan editions of those; they don't even seem to go after the pirates selling them)... I feel he may change his mind eventually about the deleted scenes, but probably not about the actual films (and certainly not about "Star Wars: The Lost Cut", John Jympson's version of "A New Hope", different in 50% from the final version of the film, and stored somewhere in the Lucasranch...)

Han-Jenny_still_small.jpg

chapter11

Deleted airplane scene in Temple of Doom?

So, ages ago when I first saw ToD in theaters, I could have sworn there was a tiny little 15-second scene that was not included in any of the VHS or DVD releases I've seen. The missing scene is in italics:

Indy, Shorty, and Willy are asleep on the cargo plane. The pilots open the cockpit door and sneak out. As they're walking to the back of the plane, one of the chickens near Indy lays an egg that's about to fall to the floor. Indy, still asleep, reaches out a hand and instinctively grabs the egg before it falls. The pilots breathe a sigh of relief and continue on to the back of the plane.

Now, am I absolutely insane, or does anyone else remember that from the theater version? Granted, I was nine years old at the time... but I swear I didn't make that up. Please help me solve something that's been nagging at my mind for years and years!

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
For reasons unknown this small scene was cut from all US & European home releases. Supposedly the Asian releases have this scene, but I haven't been able to prove or disprove that fact.

This also is similar to the scene at the end of Raiders where the US logo is burned off the crate.

No Ticket

Hmmm... I never heard of this until now. I would imagine they cut that because to me it seems out of character that Indy is that instinctual.