Mod The Infernal Machine

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
It's the dialogue wave files from IM. They're a few seconds each, and maybe they could even be strung together like a radio play. I was originally looking for a script (like in the ET game files) based on subtitle files which may not exist. Shall I email you (or anyone else interested) the files?

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Rolled 793 files into one with Goldwave Multiquence!
Infernal Machine dialogue, 36:06 minutes
mp3 file, 33.1 MB, 128 kbps:
http://rapidshare.com/files/93301750/i5mp3.mp3.html
0:00 Peru, 0:27 Canyon, 2:46 Babylon, 7:27 River, 11:20 Lagoon, 13:55 Temple, 14:47 Jeep, 16:16 Olmec, 18:47 Pyramids, 22:51 Nub, 25:16 Machine, 28:06 Aetherium, 29:34 dialogue files

Last edited:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
http://moedred.livejournal.com/10179.html
With much help from Prime Blue I've assembled the script, and boldfaced the unused (and repeated) dialogue (except for the incidental lines). Unfortunately the Russian lines are phonetic and can't be translated automatically. As with the audio, I know it's slightly out of order, but in the order the files were placed. It reveals an unused puzzle in the Shambala waterworks, and Sophia gets possessed, again: "Stay away, mortal!"

More amusing unused lines...

J: "Snakes and more snakes!"
J: "Yow! Keep away from me!"
J: "You know, I should get over this irrational fear of reptiles."

J: "Progress! Another Machine whatzit..."
J: "Finally! The last thingamajig..."
J: "Some kind of whatchamacallit..."
J: "A something-or-other..."
J: "Ye Olde Prehistoric Helicopter Part..."
J: "The Battery from Hell Part..."
J: "The Mystic Cocktail Shaker Part..."

fieromx

Ah, yes. I remember this game well; still own it.
Took me all Summer to play it, I was amazed at how sophisticated gaming had become. I stopped at the level where the woman turns into some creature and Indy creates some kind of electrical whip.
I probably should try to play it again....I also liked it because you could use a Joystick, unlike early versions of TombRaider which were keyboard cmds, which I stink at.:mad:

Infernal Machine is an awesome game...Yes, it did have several bugs, but patches, were available.
One glitch was where Indy has to dodge a rolling boulder, you side dodge, then game hangs up for some reason...think I just entered the stage right after that so I could continue the journey.

I use to visit a walk thru website, after I played it.

AtomicAnt

Instead of Modding the game, why hasn't anyone created a Source Total conversion mod? They've done it for GoldenEye and other games, and Source allows a 3rd Person perspective. Source port would be great, we already know the level designs (and the levels in IM are incredibly detailed) and have the music/voices/sound fx, the only thing needed would source models, and someone to compile the code, newer textures and such. Plus, I think modding source would be infinitely easier than trying to mod IM (which isn't really friendly to that sort of thing.)

Indy's brother

AtomicAnt said:
Instead of Modding the game, why hasn't anyone created a Source Total conversion mod? They've done it for GoldenEye and other games, and Source allows a 3rd Person perspective. Source port would be great, we already know the level designs (and the levels in IM are incredibly detailed) and have the music/voices/sound fx, the only thing needed would source models, and someone to compile the code, newer textures and such. Plus, I think modding source would be infinitely easier than trying to mod IM (which isn't really friendly to that sort of thing.)

I don't know a thing about how games are made, modded, converted, etc....But I would LOVE for this to happen. Is anyone here into this sort of thing? Who is perhaps a member of another online community that does this sort of thing? This is a fan project that needs to happen, IMHO.

Vance

AtomicAnt said:

What you're saying here is basically "Redo the entire game, except for the MIDI and voices used." - basically the equivalent of saying "It would be easy, it would only cost about $9,000,000 and take two years in a professional game studio! Let's see it done!"

Finn

Staff member
Vance said:
What you're saying here is basically "Redo the entire game, except for the MIDI and voices used." - basically the equivalent of saying "It would be easy, it would only cost about $9,000,000 and take two years in a professional game studio! Let's see it done!"
Black Mesa says hi.

Still, that would only make it hypothetically possible. These guys spent several years remaking a game that still has a very large and enthusiastic fanbase. While I've no doubt about the enthusiasm of those who adore IM (I'm one of them), I just don't see enough volume in our base to undertake something like that. Not to mention miring through the thicket of legal issues there undoubtedly is.

Then again, there are seven billion people on this planet, so if the right match of modders made in heaven get together... because the crapload of money and an AAA grade dev machine to back the project up are actually the least of ones issues. The true gauntlet lies elsewhere.

Vance

Finn said:

I was responding to the specific desire to rewrite the game's engine to be a 3D suite with all the work and time involved. It's not impossible, and, hell, a 3D "immersive" version of SCUMM would be a great thing for PC gaming.. but... it's neither easy or fast to do. It would be a pretty major undertaking... very much akin to making a new (albiet moddable) Drakes Fortune game.

The basic issue is that it's not really a mod, but the core engine that would have to be revisted. There's just not a lot out there for 'adventure gaming' anymore - which requires a different type of engine than a shooter, or even most RPGs.

From there you would also need to redo the graphics to not only bring them up to standard, but completely redo them for a 3D environment. That means none of the old graphic resources would be usable. Again, not impossible to get around, but that's a ****load of time and money to invest.

I'm not against doing it, but as a game developer I've got no delusions about how 'easy' it is when compared what a lot of people think Very little of the original game could be used and released in a remake... If you want a 'quick and dirty' version, you COULD use the new SCUMM engine that works with Windows at hi-res, but you're still redoing a lot of work.

Finn

Staff member
Vance said:
I was responding to the specific desire to rewrite the game's engine to be a 3D suite with all the work and time involved. It's not impossible, and, hell, a 3D "immersive" version of SCUMM would be a great thing for PC gaming.. but... it's neither easy or fast to do. It would be a pretty major undertaking... very much akin to making a new (albiet moddable) Drakes Fortune game.
The thing is, IM is not really an adventure game, but an action platformer, which is something - as AtomicAnt pointed out - very doable with Source. In fact, some (albeit very brief) mods similar to the Uncharted or Tomb Raider gameplay do exist as it is.

Vance said:
From there you would also need to redo the graphics to not only bring them up to standard, but completely redo them for a 3D environment. That means none of the old graphic resources would be usable. Again, not impossible to get around, but that's a ****load of time and money to invest.
The group that put together Black Mesa hardly used any of the old Half-Life resources either. After all, those are still the property of Valve.

So, to turn IM into a Source port would take a crapload of time, yes, but money? There's been enough proof that such an undertaking as a garage project IS possible. There are, however, some other factors in play, such as IM being a rather fringe game with not a huge fanbase to keep people motivated. Those still make it a very long shot and most likely nothing more than a pipe dream.

Vance

Finn said:
The thing is, IM is not really an adventure game, but an action platformer, which is something - as AtomicAnt pointed out - very doable with Source. In fact, some (albeit very brief) mods similar to the Uncharted or Tomb Raider gameplay do exist as it is.

A little easier. It would just be a little harder to get that "Indy" feel going. (I honestly thought that Infernal Machine was the last of the Indiana Jones SCUMM games... I never got the chance to play it.)

So, to turn IM into a Source port would take a crapload of time, yes, but money? There's been enough proof that such an undertaking as a garage project IS possible. There are, however, some other factors in play, such as IM being a rather fringe game with not a huge fanbase to keep people motivated. Those still make it a very long shot and most likely nothing more than a pipe dream.

Time IS money, friend. A big problem with these projects is that once you're putting in the long hours, you really want to be paid for the time and work. People move on to more lucrative projects. :S Still, I may take a look at the engines out there and see what I can recommend.

Finn

Staff member
Vance said:
A little easier. It would just be a little harder to get that "Indy" feel going. (I honestly thought that Infernal Machine was the last of the Indiana Jones SCUMM games... I never got the chance to play it.)
No, it's a 3D action platformer they released in the late 90s to try and cash in on the Tomb Raider craze. Not exactly the hit they hoped it would be - but then again, it's no wonder. If you have to spend 20 hours staring at a character's backside, the curvy action chick definitely is easier on the eye than a sweaty, unshaven archaeologist.

There has been no SCUMM adventures since the Fate of Atlantis. Now there is a game I wish someone would give the same special edition treatment as the first two Monkey Islands.

Vance said:
Time IS money, friend. A big problem with these projects is that once you're putting in the long hours, you really want to be paid for the time and work. People move on to more lucrative projects.
This is indeed the final fate of many ambitious projects. But still, some of them DO get finished, despite the shoestring budget and no real economic return. Which was and still is the main point I had. Just like you though, I don't really believe IM is a game that's ever going to receive said treatment.

Vance

Finn said:
There has been no SCUMM adventures since the Fate of Atlantis. Now there is a game I wish someone would give the same special edition treatment as the first two Monkey Islands.

There are a couple of more modern takes on the SCUMM engine though those projects seem to have stalled. Lua is the newer 'engine of choice' for these types of games (most famously used in Baldur's Gate). LA Noire also uses Lua, which could be a really good starting point...

This is indeed the final fate of many ambitious projects. But still, some of them DO get finished, despite the shoestring budget and no real economic return. Which was and still is the main point I had. Just like you though, I don't really believe IM is a game that's ever going to receive said treatment.

It depends on the work/beneift ratio, really. I generally find that if contributors see their game taking shape with each update, they'll stick it out for that reward. If there's a long period of the 'boring work' (called 'middle-code'), such as database engine programming, window handling, nuts and bolts that aren't specifically game features... the project is likely to die just 'cause it's so much work to so little output. Tough to balance it...

Finn

Staff member
Vance said:
There are a couple of more modern takes on the SCUMM engine though those projects seem to have stalled. Lua is the newer 'engine of choice' for these types of games (most famously used in Baldur's Gate). LA Noire also uses Lua, which could be a really good starting point...
Well, Lua is not actually an engine but a mere scripting language, which, admittedly does appear to be the favorite of many a programmer when doing those choice-and-consequence bits.

Which is why it's mainly utilized in RPGs and RTSes that require unpredictable outcomes from time to time, to at least maintain an illusion of the player being in control. It hasn't seen much use in traditional adventure games per se, since they're still pretty much mostly linear ordeals. Action X always produces outcome Y, and things need to follow a proper sequence to reach the end. L.A. Noire is a notable exception, given how a case can go to wildly differing directions and have various outcomes depending on player's actions.

Then again, maybe more adventure games should be like that, to make the genre truly popular.

Still, while Lua offers a good set of tools to help forming a branching narrative, the game still needs more resources in form of a proper engine to bring things to life... like, say, Source.

tonywar93

I think it would be cool if controls were made smooth as the N64 version and there were modern gamepad compatibility (like Xbox 360 controller), plus other nice features like the combat system and the interactive walls to firebolts. :gun:

Marduk

Texture extraction tool

Captain Defence said:
Hi.
Does anyone know how to mod Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine?

Sorry to revive old thread. For anybody interested I've made a little tool to extract and replace textures from CND files. :whip:

Tool:
CNDExt

You can extract materials fom CND files and convert them to .bmp files:

indy5_mat_extract_preview.jpg

... and you can replace existing materials with the new one:

Jones00.jpg

Jones08.jpg

Jones14.jpg

Jones09.jpg

Jones06.jpg

Jones05.jpg

Jones02.jpg

Jones10.jpg

Jones04.jpg

Jones11.jpg

Jones01.jpg

Jandar-man

Dude! I'm trying to mod this game and your tool for me is like a grace comed from the skies)

So, First of all - BIG THANK YOU FOR THAT TOOL!!!

And i have a question. How i can extract or view from any angle maps (levels) in Indiana Jones & Infernal Machine? And is there anyway of how i can extract them from the game? The reason why is this important for me is that i want to recreate them, but in more detailed manner.

PS: and by the way - in which files is the levels? I haven't find them :confused:

Cheers :) .