Tokyo, Japan

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Nazi costume set to be pulled from shelves

Is it reasonable to allow any one group, through use or suppression, possesion of a symbol or sole right to define?

Well, it's not been pulled YET...they're getting ready. Reminds me of when we would go down to the mall and if you asked they would sell you weapons and fireworks. The guy who sold me brass knuckles actually said, (as he took my money) I shouldn't use them! Currently they're used to tenderize meat...

While I'm a fan of historical accuracy (with regard to symbols on toys and models), there's something not quite right nowadays about dressing up as a Nazi. Not sure how many countries besides Japan would put these out as fancy dress (though Prince Harry Hewitt found a supplier somewhere).

Maybe they'll replace it with the more in vogue 'Taliban outfit'.

Dictating what one wears as fancy dress is still a step too far. Everyone should have the freedom to look like an idiot if they want to!

Last edited:

IndyBuff

Sorry to bump an eight year old thread but I figured it was better than starting another one. Next month my wife and I will going on a mission trip to Tokyo and we're psyched. We've been waiting and praying for years for a door like this to open and now it's just a matter of getting the final preparations in place.

I know we'll be meeting with some different churches and working on some media projects, but we'll also have a bit of time to explore the city and take in the culture. Does anyone have any additional places or things they'd like to recommend we look into? I've been to Europe but this is my first trip to Asia, so I'm expecting quite a culture shock but I'd love to hear what well-seasoned travelers would recommend.:hat:

Le Saboteur

IndyBuff said:
Sorry to bump an eight year old thread but I figured it was better than starting another one.

But that's why we have umbrella threads!

IndyBuff said:
I've been to Europe but this is my first trip to Asia, so I'm expecting quite a culture shock but I'd love to hear what well-seasoned travelers would recommend.:hat:

It's worth noting that September is typhoon season, and you're bound to see a lot more rain than normal. It can also still be quite humid (like it is now).

I stand by my original statement: visit both of Tokyo's Disney parks. They're the crown jewels in the empire. Just remember that they're not in Tokyo, they're in Urayasu. A trip on the train will be required.

Do you like anime? The collected works of Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata? If so, then the Ghibli Museum is worth a visit. They also have special exhibits from other major animation houses. Are you ashamed of your body or otherwise being nude? No? Then perhaps you should visit an onsen (Japanese bath houses). The September Sumo Tournament begins on the 10th, and ends on the 24th.

Otherwise, what are you interested in? I could give you a whole slew of things to do, but they might not be up your alley. Are you into traditional Japan? The Sengoku period? Shunga? Martial arts? Modern Japan? Live Mario Kart racing? The culinary scene? Tanuki? Fox Island? The Shikoku Pilgrimage?

I can offer several ideas, but I'd rather they be more aligned to what you're interested in.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UsAXiQxR9pQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Japanese like dance troupes.

IndyBuff

Le Saboteur said:
But that's why we have umbrella threads!

It's worth noting that September is typhoon season, and you're bound to see a lot more rain than normal. It can also still be quite humid (like it is now).

I stand by my original statement: visit both of Tokyo's Disney parks. They're the crown jewels in the empire. Just remember that they're not in Tokyo, they're in Urayasu. A trip on the train will be required.

Do you like anime? The collected works of Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata? If so, then the Ghibli Museum is worth a visit. They also have special exhibits from other major animation houses. Are you ashamed of your body or otherwise being nude? No? Then perhaps you should visit an onsen (Japanese bath houses). The September Sumo Tournament begins on the 10th, and ends on the 24th.

Otherwise, what are you interested in? I could give you a whole slew of things to do, but they might not be up your alley. Are you into traditional Japan? The Sengoku period? Shunga? Martial arts? Modern Japan? Live Mario Kart racing? The culinary scene? Tanuki? Fox Island? The Shikoku Pilgrimage?

I can offer several ideas, but I'd rather they be more aligned to what you're interested in.

Tokyo Disney is definitely something we've wanted to do for quite some time. It's just a matter of seeing if we have the time and funds to do it. I'm not a huge anime fan but I enjoy the art style and am always up for trying something new. It's hard to know what I want to see because so much of it looks fascinating. I love reading about ancient Japanese history but I also find their modern period interesting as well. I will definitely look into some of your suggestions!(y)