China Discovered America First?

WilliamBoyd8

Richard Halliburton, the 1920's and 1930's adventure travel writer,
disappeared in 1939 while trying to sail a Chinese junk across the
Pacific Ocean from Hong Kong to San Francisco.

:)

Montana Smith

WilliamBoyd8 said:

I blame marauding Chinese pirates who were prevalent at that time. :gun:

WillKill4Food

The Drifter said:
Samuel Clemens might as well have said it (if I was wrong). The man was full of great quips.
But, to be back on topic. I also wanna know why China discovering the Americas would be a bad thing. And, no; I'm not trying to put you through the ringer, Disco. I'm just curious.
Perhaps ironically, you have just opened your mouth and removed all doubt. ;)

The quote that I'm familiar with is "'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt," and it's usually attributed to Abraham Lincoln, though because I haven't found any references to the original (a letter, a note, or something) I don't know that he's actually the source.

Montana Smith

WillKill4Food said:
Perhaps ironically, you have just opened your mouth and removed all doubt. ;)

The quote that I'm familiar with is "'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt," and it's usually attributed to Abraham Lincoln, though because I haven't found any references to the original (a letter, a note, or something) I don't know that he's actually the source.

Sounds like a bit of Shakespeare's wisdom. Something Hamlet would have said while feigning madness.

And for some more of Shakespeare on this subject:

"The dullness of the fool is the whetstone of the wits." (As You Like It)

Montana Smith

JRJENNINGS86 said:
Im pretty sure that Native Americans discoverd America first... after all they do have "Reservations";)

Then the Europeans came along and told them all the tables had really been pre-booked for their coach party. :eek:

Mickiana

If the Chinese discovered America first, who discovered China first (don't say Americans)?:rolleyes: That's what I'd like to know! (just to throw a spanner in the works:D )

Montana Smith

Mickiana said:
If the Chinese discovered America first, who discovered China first (don't say Americans)?:rolleyes: That's what I'd like to know! (just to throw a spanner in the works:D )

To hit them with a really big spanner, it was the Tibetans! :gun:

Mickiana

Ouch! They should have left well enough alone! Expansionist revisionist communism would have been hard to foresee I suppose. :dead:

RedeemedChild

Mickiana said:

Perhaps, if the Chinese discovered America first then it must be a dark twist of fate that the United States is basically owned by China at the moment and we're in a mighty fine quill pen of red ink.

Mickiana

What if the Chinese discover this thread? Maybe they could answer the question for us...

The thread topic reminds me, in an oblique way, of the poster for Easy Rider: "A man went looking for America and couldn't find it anywhere."

otto rahn

People interested in who might have discovered America before Columbus might like to read "Secret Voyages To The New World" by Gunnar Thompson (Misty Isles Press 2006).

otto rahn

WilliamBoyd8 said:

To be fair Haliburton was sailing a small Chinese junk by himself not the massive seven masted monstrosities that Menzies claims the Chinese were using in "1421".

otto rahn

WilliamBoyd8 said:
Richard Halliburton was not alone on his Chinese Junk,
he had a crew of several men with him.

Sorry, I thought that he was alone. That makes the trip sound a little less crazy I guess.