Lawrence Kasdan

Crack that whip

Niteshade007 said:
He was good early on in his career. But after Return of the Jedi I think he lost his touch. I mean, have you seen The Bodyguard? Awful.

As I understand it, The Bodyguard was a script he'd written quite a while earlier and that had floated around in development hell for some time before finally being made, and when it did get produced it was pretty different from what Kasdan originally wanted it to be; I believe he expressed disappointment with how it turned out at the time it was released, so I'm not sure it's the best indicator of his writing ability now (or at the time it came out).

According to IMDB, this was Kasdan's first screenplay, and the proposal was rejected 67 times. The first go-round was in the early '70s, intended to star Diana Ross and Steve McQueen.

kongisking

Mickiana said:
Yeah, I think Kasdan might inject some of that old magic back into a fifth installment. But we're hoping...

Who said it was missing in KOTCS? :mad: *

*rhetorical question. Don't answer that...

James

Niteshade007 said:
He was good early on in his career.

I wouldn't say he couldn't pull it off again, but I do agree that everyone views him through rose-colored glasses.

The big appeal of Lawrence Kasdan is that he's now the ace-in-the-hole of the Indy franchise. It used to be Lucas, then the prequels came out and everyone started hating him. So people said, "Well, as long as Lucas just starts the ball rolling and Ford and Spielberg will actually be the ones in control..."

But then Ford's career entered a slump, and everyone started worrying he might have gotten too old. So the mantle was bestowed upon Spielberg. He was the guy who wouldn't let the fans down...until everyone was shocked to realize that he doesn't view the Indiana Jones movies in the same exact way that fanboys do.

All four of these guys have changed and evolved in the thirty years since they first embarked upon Raiders of the Lost Ark. They aren't limited by the same rigid beliefs of the average fan (who- by his very nature- is more prone to being stuck in the past).

As far as keeping his 'golden' status, the worst thing Lawrence Kasdan could possibly do is return to pen another Indy film. Oh, I'm sure he could do a good job and even deliver a fun movie. What I don't think he could do is make everyone feel like it's 1981 again- while also delivering a script that bears up under 2009 criticism.

KOTCS's big reunion between Indy and Marion took a beating last summer. Then Koepp revealed that Kasdan had written it, and suddenly everyone decided, "Oh...well...that was one of the only good parts of the movie!" :D

Robyn

James said:
I wouldn't say he couldn't pull it off again, but I do agree that everyone views him through rose-colored glasses.

The big appeal of Lawrence Kasdan is that he's now the ace-in-the-hole of the Indy franchise. It used to be Lucas, then the prequels came out and everyone started hating him. So people said, "Well, as long as Lucas just starts the ball rolling and Ford and Spielberg will actually be the ones in control..."

But then Ford's career entered a slump, and everyone started worrying he might have gotten too old. So the mantle was bestowed upon Spielberg. He was the guy who wouldn't let the fans down...until everyone was shocked to realize that he doesn't view the Indiana Jones movies in the same exact way that fanboys do.

All four of these guys have changed and evolved in the thirty years since they first embarked upon Raiders of the Lost Ark. They aren't limited by the same rigid beliefs of the average fan (who- by his very nature- is more prone to being stuck in the past).

As far as keeping his 'golden' status, the worst thing Lawrence Kasdan could possibly do is return to pen another Indy film. Oh, I'm sure he could do a good job and even deliver a fun movie. What I don't think he could do is make everyone feel like it's 1981 again- while also delivering a script that bears up under 2009 criticism.

KOTCS's big reunion between Indy and Marion took a beating last summer. Then Koepp revealed that Kasdan had written it, and suddenly everyone decided, "Oh...well...that was one of the only good parts of the movie!" :D

I had no idea Kasdan had wrote the Marion and Indy banter when I saw kotcs, but the banter is what I loved, and if Kasdan wrote the "they weren't you honey" line, then he's responsible for one of the best lines ever(y) I'm all for Kasdan writing Indy 5! Bring back Kasdan(y)

Niteshade007

Crack that whip said:
As I understand it, The Bodyguard was a script he'd written quite a while earlier and that had floated around in development hell for some time before finally being made, and when it did get produced it was pretty different from what Kasdan originally wanted it to be; I believe he expressed disappointment with how it turned out at the time it was released, so I'm not sure it's the best indicator of his writing ability now (or at the time it came out).

According to IMDB, this was Kasdan's first screenplay, and the proposal was rejected 67 times. The first go-round was in the early '70s, intended to star Diana Ross and Steve McQueen.

Hmm, I did not know that. I just know that my friend REALLY wanted to see the movie because she's a big Whitney Houston fan. I agreed only because it was written by Kasdan. What a wreck...

James said:

KOTCS's big reunion between Indy and Marion took a beating last summer. Then Koepp revealed that Kasdan had written it, and suddenly everyone decided, "Oh...well...that was one of the only good parts of the movie!"

To a certain extent I agree. I don't want to say that he couldn't write a good screenplay again, I just don't think it's likely given his track record.

You have a good analysis, one which I do agree with. The one thing I did like was the banter, and while "They weren't you" isn't the greatest line, it was a high point for me and felt like Indy. Anything after that involving Marion was crap.

Indy's brother

Kasdan Willing To Write Indy 5

It sounds like Lawrence Kasdan, the screenwriter behind the first "Indiana Jones" film, "Raiders of the Lost Ark," would at the very least consider writing the fifth installment in the classic movie franchise if approached with the idea by producer George Lucas and director Steven Spielberg.

"I would listen to anything those guys said to me -- no question," Kasdan told me in an interview Friday. "They had spoken to me about the previous movie ? but I've been hesitant to go back to that same area."

Kasdan, who is readying the release of his first film in nine years, the dog-themed dramedy "Darling Companion," told me that a big part of his hesitancy stems from the stellar success of "Raiders," which was released in 1981.

"I'm old fashioned, which means I think 'Raiders' was absolutely perfect in my mind. I'm not sure we can do any better than that," Kasdan said with a laugh.

If there's any hope for fans, Kasdan -- who also collaborated with Lucas as a screenwriter on the "Star Wars" films "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi" -- has clearly shown that he's willing to write sequels.

"I'm not against sequels -- I was involved with 'Empire' -- but generally, they're not what attract me," Kasdan said.
While Lucas has all but guaranteed there will be no more "Star Wars" films, a live-action series, tentatively titled "Star Wars: Underworld" is in development. Like the prospect of writing the fifth "Indiana Jones" movie, Kasdan told me that he'll keep an open mind about writing for the series if approached by his old friend.

"George and I are always in touch, and as he's done each of these (new) 'Star Wars' movies, he's asked me if I wanted to be involved," Kasdan said. "I'm open to listening to anything, but I'm not drawn to doing that kind of (thing)."

The 30th anniversary of "Raiders of the Lost Ark," released June 12, 1981, was celebrated by Lucas and Spielberg last year. The fifth "Indiana Jones" movie, which would once again star Harrison Ford as the heroic title character, is still in development.

LINK

Discuss.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forbidden Eye

Yeah but in that interview, he says he's not fond of writing sequels. He may have written Return of the Jedi, but seeing how it isn't as well regarded as Empire, that probably hurts the possibility of him returning to Indy.

If Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, which brought the return of Marion Ravenwood(a character he created) couldn't lure him back, I doubt anything Indy 5 has to offer can.*

Hate to be even more cynical, but remember this man made Dreamcatcher so its not like his career is infallible unlike Lucas and Spielberg.

*That said, didn't he actually help write the dialogue banter between Indy and Marion? I seem to recall reading that prior to Kingdom's release date, yet few people mention that fact.

Dr. Gonzo

Forbidden Eye said:
*That said, didn't he actually help write the dialogue banter between Indy and Marion? I seem to recall reading that prior to Kingdom's release date, yet few people mention that fact.

I believe David Koepp talked with Larry and consulted with him on the dialogue between the two but didn't actually write any of it. There was a quote somewhere but I'm too lazy to find it right now.

Grizzlor

Lucas I think is doing nothing on the film at all. I just don't think it's going to happen. He's a complete creative black hole.

Stoo

Indy's brother said:
Funny that, 1 week ago, Randy Flagg posted the same article in the "General Indy 5 Thread" and nobody has posted there since then!
Forbidden Eye said:
Hate to be even more cynical, but remember this man made Dreamcatcher so its not like his career is infallible...
That's true. "Dreamcatcher" started out great but the story went downhill very quickly.:( Even so, I would like it if Larry had a go at Indy 5.
Forbidden Eye said:
It gets mentioned here at The Raven from time to time but you're right that many people are probably unware of Kasdan's involvement.

Indy's brother

Stoo said:
Funny that, 1 week ago, Randy Flagg posted the same article in the "General Indy 5 Thread" and nobody has posted there since then!

Yeah, but since this isn't really Indy 5 news, but just the wistful musing of Kasdan on the matter, I figured it needed it's own thread. Since no one has responded to Randy's post there, And members have posted here, I guess I was right.

Crack that whip

Forbidden Eye said:
Yeah but in that interview, he says he's not fond of writing sequels. He may have written Return of the Jedi, but seeing how it isn't as well regarded as Empire, that probably hurts the possibility of him returning to Indy.

He co-scripted both Star Wars - Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back and Star Wars - Episode VI: Return of the Jedi, actually, and Empire is certainly very well regarded indeed - generally as one of the very few sequels that surpass an already-great original, even - so I don't see that his experience on those necessarily hurts anything (for that matter, Jedi is still generally much better-regarded than the prequels).

Stoo

Indy's brother said:
Yeah, but since this isn't really Indy 5 news, but just the wistful musing of Kasdan on the matter, I figured it needed it's own thread. Since no one has responded to Randy's post there, And members have posted here, I guess I was right.
Don't get me wrong, Indy's Bro'.:cool: I was just (obliquely) trying to point out that the "General Indy 5 Thread" is near dead.:dead:

Georgie, Stevie & Larry need to sit down and have another 5-day brainstorming session like they did back in January 1978!:whip:

Montana Smith

Crack that whip said:
He co-scripted both Star Wars - Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back and Star Wars - Episode VI: Return of the Jedi, actually, and Empire is certainly very well regarded indeed - generally as one of the very few sequels that surpass an already-great original, even - so I don't see that his experience on those necessarily hurts anything (for that matter, Jedi is still generally much better-regarded than the prequels).

Empire was my favourite Star Wars movie. It had a tone that I'd have been happier seeing in Indy 4.

And pre-Endor Jedi was a fine continuation.

Ewoks...

Indy goodness lasted a few years longer than Star Wars goodness (all the way up until 1989!)

Dr. Gonzo

Now lets say if this was to happen, I'd be all about it... really. Kasdan likes to explore things.
I'm sure that he has a different perspective on Indy than any of us do, since he really was there at his birth before there were any preconceived notions about what Indiana Jones is and conjures in us...
which brings me to think that he would take the story in a direction we wouldn't be expecting and would indeed catch a lot of flak from folks who thought it should have been more like Raiders...
He has said himself that he's not much of a rehash man. I'd be all for Kasdan, but I think people would expect him to write another Raiders when in fact he would deliver something quite different. So I can see why he's hesitant.

Randy_Flagg

Dr. Gonzo said:
Now lets say if this was to happen, I'd be all about it... really. Kasdan likes to explore things.
I'm sure that he has a different perspective on Indy than any of us do, since he really was there at his birth before there were any preconceived notions about what Indiana Jones is and conjures in us...
which brings me to think that he would take the story in a direction we wouldn't be expecting and would indeed catch a lot of flak from folks who thought it should have been more like Raiders...
He has said himself that he's not much of a rehash man. I'd be all for Kasdan, but I think people would expect him to write another Raiders when in fact he would deliver something quite different. So I can see why he's hesitant.

Good point. Empire Strikes Back, for example, did not at all follow in the pattern of A New Hope (or Star Wars, as it was known at the time.) The story structure was entirely different, and I think that was actually a good thing.
One problem I had with KOTCS is that it felt like it was trying too hard to fit into the formular used by Raiders and Last Crusade. I guess, after a 19 year absence, maybe Lucas & Co thought it was best to go with a tried & proven formula, particularly after some fans balked at Temple of Doom for attempting something new. The problem is, if you're going to basically rehash a previous movie, you'd better make sure you improve upon it, and KOTCS failed to do that. It followed Raiders' structure almost perfectly, but it often felt like a cheap imitation.

For a fifth Indy (in the unlikely event that it ever happens), I really think that they'd be better off NOT trying to follow the standard formula again. Raiders did it just about perfectly, so now try something new. Kasdan could be the right man for that job. But, as you said, would fans accept an Indy movie that really tries to do something different? I don't know. I think if it's a good movie, they will, just as they accepted Empire Strikes Back despite the fact that it felt nothing like A New Hope.

Hanselation

Randy_Flagg said:
For a fifth Indy (in the unlikely event that it ever happens), I really think that they'd be better off NOT trying to follow the standard formula again. Raiders did it just about perfectly, so now try something new. Kasdan could be the right man for that job. But, as you said, would fans accept an Indy movie that really tries to do something different? I don't know. I think if it's a good movie, they will, just as they accepted Empire Strikes Back despite the fact that it felt nothing like A New Hope.

In my mind you're right:
If I want to see Rotla, I will watch Raiders. (The fantastic original)
If I want to see ToD, I'll see ToD. (my favorite, very different to raiders)
If I would like to see LC, I'll take the LC DVD and watch it.(which already follows a similar raiders formula).
If I want to see KotCS, I'll take the KotCS-Blu Ray (which feels part time like a bad copy of Rotla) .

But at least, I'll would like to see Indy 5 with a different concept - like they did it with ToD - just covering the basics like: Indiana Jones - Adventure - Stunts - Myth - Action funded archeology. :gun:

Toht's Arm

I agree that not being fanatical about sticking the formula would be a good thing. Let the story develop organically instead of worrying about standard scenes appearing at certain points throughout the movie. ToD is great in that regard - one event leads to another and the movie never gets boring. Hopefully Kasdan wouldn't simply start with a list of Indy "must-haves", like a vehicular chase, a university scene and the villain getting fried by the artifact at the end - just let the narrative dictate what happens.