Did Sean Connery hate the KOTCS script?

The Man

sandiegojones said:
That probably would have been all he did too, which is why he turned it down.

Indeed. Even in the Darabont draft he had what, about two scenes?

sandiegojones

yeah I think it's better that he's dead. It works better for the Mutt relationship. Can you imagine if Mutt now had a new Grandpa on top of a new Dad?

fedoraboy

There was a Bond 'South Bank Show' on in the UK at the weekend which profiled Quantum of Solace but also looked back at the earlier Bond movies. It featured a new IV with Connery and, sadly, he didn't look at all well. I'd say that it was health reasons that primarily kept him from returning to the role - although he may still have been unhappy on the script's treatment of his character and it was a combination of both that kept him away.

MaxPhactor23

I wouldn’t doubt for a minute that the script had something to do with it. But then the role was rather small too. Ultimately what‘s the point? Undoubtedly he‘d come out of retirement if it was some jaw dropping piece though….which apparently it wasn‘t. The think the boards almost unanimous there. Sean knows art when he sees it. That‘s why he shot League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Robbed at the Oscars, that was. *cough*… ;)

“Junior…Aliens? Blasphemy!”

caats

i'm not sure the script mattered. maybe a bit. but he's been in some pretty crappy movies. didn't he also turn down roles in the matrix and lord of the rings??

Forbidden Eye

caats said:
i'm not sure the script mattered. maybe a bit. but he's been in some pretty crappy movies. didn't he also turn down roles in the matrix and lord of the rings??

Lord of the Rings, yes. The Matrix, no, not that I know of at least. He did turn down Dumbledore from Harry Potter as well I believe.

Anyone who believes Sean Connery didn't join because of the quality of the script is nothing more but a foolish and radical KOTCS hater.

Didn't is just occur to anyone that he didn't join Indy 4 because maybe, as he said, "Retirement is too damn fun"? Yeah, he has come out of retirement, but keep in mind, he said that statements over a year ago. People often have their opinions and attitudes towards things change in a year. Maybe he just wanted more time to relax, and after enough rest for 5 years, is ready to jump back into action.

Chances are if Indy 4 were getting made this year, he'd join it.

About the absence of Connery affecting KOTCS, I agree that it improved the movie quite a bit. One of the most dramatic scenes in the entire franchise and the best use of the "coming of age" story in Indy 4 is when Indy looks at his father's photo, having to deal with living in a time period he doesn't relate in as well as wondering is there much if any point left in life. And just hearing John William's grail theme as Indy stares at the picture makes the scene that much more touching and memorable. It also, as pointed out, makes the end a lot more natural as now with Marion and Mutt, he he regains the excitement and meaning in life he felt was gone at the beginning.

While it's a mild shame we only got to see Henry Jones Sr. in just one installment, the ending in LC is the perfect ending for him and makes the old "franchise-closer" relevant.

Crack that whip

Forbidden Eye said:
While it's a mild shame we only got to see Henry Jones Sr. in just one installment

Oh, some of us got to see him in more installments than just the one... ;)

Forbidden Eye said:
the ending in LC is the perfect ending for him and makes the old "franchise-closer" relevant.

For the moment, I think I'm inclined to agree here.

Udvarnoky

Forbidden Eye said:
Anyone who believes Sean Connery didn't join because of the quality of the script is nothing more but a foolish and radical KOTCS hater.

Hey now. I don't think it's the reason he declined either, but it's hardly a "radical" assumption to make considering the quotes he made prior to being asked. Let's not forget this:

The new Indiana Jones film is due to shoot this summer, and after being approached by Lucas, Connery admits he is seriously considering it.

Asked directly if he thought he would be back in front of the cameras this summer as Dr Jones, he answered: "Perhaps."

Choosing his words carefully, Connery then added: "At the moment there's nothing decided. I haven't got the script. Everything depends on the script."

When you consider that, combined with the fact that he's now willing to get out of retirement for an upcoming movie, it's hardly an obscene notion to think that the quality of the script was a possible reason Connery turned down the offer. It may not be the correct one, of course. Connery's inability to select a good screenplay is legendary, and I can certainly buy that he just didn't want to get out of retirement, but on the other hand, you should calm down.

On the subject of Connery and Indy4, here's a podcast that was recorded on May 10th that mentions an interesting rumor that I've never heard before. I'll type it below for those who don't care to listen (for those that do, the relevant stuff is at 7:45):

And what's interesting is they worked very very very hard to try to get Sean Connery to come back and be in this thing. In fact my understanding is they still, even now, when trying to lock in the film are kind of hoping they could get him to do, to make some sort of a cameo.

I've never heard anything else to suggest that, but it would be really interesting if that was true, that they really wanted him that bad.

UltimateManGod said:
Sankara said:
@the man
Oh yes... and short round is the driver of the wedding-car... *LOL*...

Because Indy woudn't want his own father to be at his wedding. That makes a lot of sense. Though I will agree, it would have been stupid to have Shorty the wedding car driver.

You guys can eat me. I would have totally dug such a cameo. :)

the ox

as lame as it might seem ... i think someone - anyone - from the previous movies being at the wedding would have added something to what was a sort of flat ending. yeah - even if he hadn't said anything just having shorty among the guests would have been cool ... or sallah (i guess those are the only options really ...)

but i do agree that connery not coming back added some much needed depth/emotional weight by way of the re-write. i would have loved to have seen him but LC was perfect as far as that whole theme/dynamic went anyway.

The Man

SeanConnery.jpg

"Chrysthal skhull, my ballsh!"

ExpeditionJones

Forbidden Eye said:
Lord of the Rings, yes. The Matrix, no, not that I know of at least. He did turn down Dumbledore from Harry Potter as well I believe.

Didn't is just occur to anyone that he didn't join Indy 4 because maybe, as he said, "Retirement is too damn fun"? Yeah, he has come out of retirement, but keep in mind, he said that statements over a year ago. People often have their opinions and attitudes towards things change in a year. Maybe he just wanted more time to relax, and after enough rest for 5 years, is ready to jump back into action.

Chances are if Indy 4 were getting made this year, he'd join it.
About the absence of Connery affecting KOTCS, I agree that it improved the movie quite a bit. One of the most dramatic scenes in the entire franchise and the best use of the "coming of age" story in Indy 4 is when Indy looks at his father's photo, having to deal with living in a time period he doesn't relate in as well as wondering is there much if any point left in life. And just hearing John William's grail theme as Indy stares at the picture makes the scene that much more touching and memorable. It also, as pointed out, makes the end a lot more natural as now with Marion and Mutt, he he regains the excitement and meaning in life he felt was gone at the beginning.

While it's a mild shame we only got to see Henry Jones Sr. in just one installment, the ending in LC is the perfect ending for him and makes the old "franchise-closer" relevant.

Yeah, he did. He said in an interview in The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Oh hey..another bad film he was in.

No Ticket

I think it's less about Indy and more about he had the opportunity to be in a move based on Arabian Nights... something he probably read and enjoyed... and always would have liked to be in but never got the chance?. So he is coming out of retirement specifically for that role.

But. Who knows.

Wilhelm

I think Connery wanted too much money for little scenes in his house and in the wedding, and Spielberg/Lucas/Marshall didn't want to increase the budget at that point. The movie works better without Connery because we felt Indy's solitude and the passing of time.

Darth Vile

Wilhelm said:
I think Connery wanted too much money for little scenes in his house and in the wedding, and Spielberg/Lucas/Marshall didn't want to increase the budget at that point. The movie works better without Connery because we felt Indy's solitude and the passing of time.

Was it really a money thing? Never read/heard that...

torao

Moderator Emeritus
Niteshade007 said:
Oops...

Oh well, you can't win 'em all.

Nothing against Bollywood-stars ...but this whole thing seemed a bit fishy to me. It was interesting to have this thread resurrected, though!

Shortie

You're talking about the guy who was in "League of Extradoirnary Gentlmen".

Even the haters if Indy 4, must think Indy 4's a masterpiece compared to that.

Sankara

Fact is: Connery turned down Matrix 2 and 3! NOT Matrix!

Hes said: Everything depends on the script..

So, yes he didn't like the script. Like many-many-many others in the world. What a wise man... ;)

Darth Vile

Sankara said:
Fact is: Connery turned down Matrix 2 and 3! NOT Matrix!

Hes said: Everything depends on the script..

So, yes he didn't like the script. Like many-many-many others in the world. What a wise man... ;)

You are again leaping to conclusions like a supreme idiot...