Shangri-La

Pilot

Shangri-La was based upon an area of western China that botanist Joseph Rock explored and wrote about. James Hilton enhanced the image of this area, turning it into a utopia. It makes for a good story, but there is no utopia on earth.

Heliograph

Don't succomb to the dark side, Luke Skywalker

Pilot said:
James Hilton enhanced the image of this area, turning it into a utopia. It makes for a good story, but there is no utopia on earth.

I think it is a matter of attitude. Life...and locations...are what you make of them.

Human beings being what they are I agree it would be impossible to gather a group of people and have them all perceive the same existance as "utopia" for long.

Actually it is hard to grasp what heaven might be like. Most of us are at our happiest when we've overcome a great challenge or conflict. A totally harnonious locale, I think, would be without challenges.

Borrowing from Far Easter philosophy, without darkness we cannot perceive light.

Last edited:

Heliograph

TombReader said:
Very true...and Dr.Tyree's(?) philosophy class is right down the hall. :)

I wouldn't trust that hall for a minute.

Unless I have sufficient counterweight when I put my book bag down, darts will come shooting out of the walls, the tiles will begin to sink, and giant bowling ball will come rolling down from the faculty lounge.