Crusade or Skull? Which ends the franchise better?

Major West

torao said:
When the Camera just stays focused on Mutt while everyone's leaving ...I felt nothing but a slight bewilderment what this means...

I think you're over analysing. It's just an overhead fixed camera shot of everybody leaving the church. A pleasant happy understated ending.

Benraianajones

caats said:
i don't see it like Star Wars which is the movies then "extended uni", everything is just part of it.

On the terms of expanded universe stuff, I think SW hs gone over board and ruined things, I don't really consider the young IJ adventures, as they don't interest me (don't hate em, just don't really care for), thou if its canon - fine, doesn't bother me). I do see Fate of Atlantis however as canon as it was so good (and it even made itself refered to in the journal book that can be bought, detailing notes and such from all 4 Indy films, and then some. I was susprised Atlantis featured.

Personally, despite any visuals, I think the moral of appreciating life and the fact Indy and his dad essentialy let eternal life go, is a lot more touching and epic, than Indy and Marion's marriage - in the terms of ending the IJ movie franchise. I like the wedding in context of KOTCS, but I don't think it is the best for the franchises movie ending, it doesn't seem very epic or thought provoking as is, eternal life - would you be willing to throw it away, or would you have learned to appreciate what you have after seeing others die wanting eternal life.

KOTCS as a movie franchise ender just seems "Indy and Marion finally get it together, there may be another movie because Indy reclaims his hat". It isn't thought provoking on the same level, or that epic I don't think. And as mentioned, the Raiders March t Mutt stood there...it isn't exciting, or thought provoking really, only "if there is a 5th, will Marion and Mutt be dragged along?".

Btw a point about TLC ending quick - after they leave the temple, I've thought that, but if you think about it, the ending of Raiders is essentially quick after the finale, TOD's is, and so is KOTC's - they see aliens, don't think much of it, and then the wedding proceeds. All of them probably end a bit too quick.

Last edited:

Sankara

I agree to the most people here: The franchies ends best with Last Crusade.
What a great ending!!! :D

The end of "Skull" is just embarrassing. A marriage? :sick:

"Crusade" is still the end! And what a end!!!! (y)

StoneTriple

Sankara said:
"Crusade" is still the end!...(y)
Incorrect.

This is...

IndyMarion08.jpg

Johnny Jones

Funny you should talk about life so much, Ben (can I call you Ben?) because you could apply that to the endings. Last Crusade is like the perfect ending of one life, while Crystal Skull is like a long-awaited resurrection. I think it works better this way considering the nineteen-year gap than if there had been several movies in between the two. We are jumping headfirst into an entirely different world than last we saw. The old one is over. I can't really find good words for it... it made sense in my head though.
Also with your life theme, I think Crystal Skull's ending would have been better if they hadn't cut the scene right before the wedding. You may already know this, but after Dean Stanforth gets the Bible, he talks to a photo of Marcus Brody and basically says "I wish you could be here to see this day - but perhaps you are." He is late with the Bible which prompts Oxley's comment about "how much human life is lost in waiting."

@ StoneTriple: Careful, next he'll be reading your location and insisting again that there is no Barnett College in Last Crusade.:p No offense Sankara.

Last edited:

James

Johnny Jones said:
Last Crusade is like the perfect ending of one life, while Crystal Skull is like a long-awaited resurrection. I think it works better this way considering the nineteen-year gap than if there had been several movies in between the two. We are jumping headfirst into an entirely different world than last we saw. The old one is over. I can't really find good words for it... it made sense in my head though.

I also view it as Crusade wrapping up the Cliffhanger half of the series, while Skull begins the B Movie half. I'd love to see them do two more films to fully balance things out.

James said:
I also view it as Crusade wrapping up the Cliffhanger half of the series, while Skull begins the B Movie half. I'd love to see them do two more films to fully balance things out.

That's how I feel about Star Wars. I would like to see another triology set just after the events in Return of the Jedi. This will restore balance to the saga.

Sankara

@stone triple
No, it's not! The story of "Skull" is what Indy dreamed when he falls into the black sleep of Kali in "Doom"! :D

Now whe know why he looks so scary...

Sankara

Why should we accept this embarrassing end? "Last Crusade" is the better movie and has the better ending. Accoring to the most people here. Riding into the sunset.... wow... so perfect... It's still the end. Great! :D

Sankara

Once again: Why should we accept this embarrassing end? "Last Crusade" is the better movie and has the better ending.

Get used to it! :D

Crusade>Raiders

Major West said:
I refer you to my previous comment.

Major West: Uh, you cant just ignore the fourth fi--

Sankara: *fingers in ears* DUN-DUN-DUN-DUUUUUUUUUN, DUN-DUN-DUUUUUUN I CANT HEAR YOU YOU! DUN-DUN-DUN-DUUUUUUUUN, DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN!