Indy 5 news 2017

Dene

Indy 5 is the furthest away movie on that list by quite a margin.

Absolute lunacy IMO, and doesn't bode well. May be a placeholder for cancellation.

Sorry to be so downbeat, but it's how I'm feeling this evening. Unless we hear more positive news soon, I think this is a very bad sign. Spielberg is not seriously planning on making this in 2019, when Ford is 77?!

To think I was hoping they'd be filming by the end of this year. I'm sure that's what David Koepp suggested at one point.

Forbidden Eye

The frustrating part is if they worked on the script now, finished by December, and filmed in 2018, a 2019 release date is VERY doable.

But because Indiana Jones doesn't have a billion dollar toy market, Lucasfilm/Iger clearly don't care about it.

seasider

Maybe Lucasfilm wanted to get Episode 9 out of the way before tackling Indy again or Spielberg is wanting to take a break before Indy 5 as he has at least 2 other projects he's working on. Either way, it's hard to remain positive with this current bit of news.

Udvarnoky

seasider said:
Maybe Lucasfilm wanted to get Episode 9 out of the way before tackling Indy again or Spielberg is wanting to take a break before Indy 5 as he has at least 2 other projects he's working on. Either way, it's hard to remain positive with this current bit of news.

Yes, this can be seen as the logical consequence of the fast-tracking of "The Post" where Spielberg's slate is concerned, but one would have hoped that Spielberg would have viewed Indy as more of a priority given Ford's age. If he had, he could push back Edgardo Mortara instead.

Dene

Maybe "The Post" being greenlit was the fly in the ointment, it knocked everything else for six.

Questioned on Indy 5, Frank Marshall talked enthusiastically of Ford being on great form in The Force Awakens (and he was), but this new movie if it gets made is going to have FIVE YEARS on TFA, no small amount for a septuagenarian.

Face_Melt

Dene said:
Maybe "The Post" being greenlit was the fly in the ointment, it knocked everything else for six.

Questioned on Indy 5, Frank Marshall talked enthusiastically of Ford being on great form in The Force Awakens (and he was), but this new movie if it gets made is going to have FIVE YEARS on TFA, no small amount for a septuagenarian.

Agreed. This is terrible news. The only thing that would make me happy about this is if they later say that Indy 5&6 will film back to back and we will get 2 more Ford films (hey I can dream right). Other than that, this is terrible terrible news. I really don't understand why they did this. They can't just assume he will be alive, healthy and strong 3 more years from now. When you're that age, every day is a blessing and nothing is guaranteed.

Dene

Will Indy 5 be motion capture?

I'm actually now expecting this announcement, if Disney are serious about going ahead with it.

Stoo

Udvarnoky said:
I'm feeling some downright "Raiders112390" pangs of paranoia about Disney's commitment to this project.
His Disney "paranoia" didn't start until recently (which was a 180° degree turn from 2012). :rolleyes:

A select few have been aware of the dangerous Disney acquisition. This news shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone with a brain. :gun:

Kevin

Since Star Wars IX is now set for May 2019 instead of December 2019, maybe they felt the summer '19 movie schedule was too packed? If that's the reason, then it seems they could still film Indy 5 in 2018.

Silvor

Even though I've been mentally prepared for something like this ever since If the delay was because of crowded releases that year for Disney and they actually shoot the movie next year it still could work out but if not I would not be surprised if Indy 5 won't come to pass sadly, at least with Ford.

One would think Spielberg would be aware of the clock ticking, and he seemed to enthusiastic about the movie before it was announced too.

Forbidden Eye

Kevin said:
Since Star Wars IX is now set for May 2019 instead of December 2019, maybe they felt the summer '19 movie schedule was too packed? If that's the reason, then it seems they could still film Indy 5 in 2018.

The script would have to literally be ready NOW for it to come out in 2018. Sadly, all news indicates its still being written.

Z dweller

Kevin said:
That would make sense, but it's devastating news all the same.

Just forget about a new Indy movie for now and go watch "The lost city of Z", that's what I did.

Udvarnoky

Forbidden Eye said:
The script would have to literally be ready NOW for it to come out in 2018. Sadly, all news indicates its still being written.

Kevin was referring to filming the movie in 2018 as originally planned. Pirates 5 is an example of a movie filmed a full two years before its release. Perhaps Spielberg would consider that.

Finn

Staff member
Moderator note

Moved all the relevant posts concerning this newest development from other threads to this one. Let's keep this discussion in here for now.

IndyBuff

seasider said:

I don't see why they couldn't have a major summer by releasing Star Wars and Indy within a couple months of each other. Why it has to be one or the other with them is pretty dumb. Most people I know would gladly pay to see both, myself included.

Like others have mentioned, the clock is really ticking on this one. They waited long enough for Crystal Skull and now they're making the same mistake again.

Lambonius

I feel like this all but confirms that if Indy 5 actually happens, it's going to include Ford bookends with a younger actor as the headliner playing a prequel Indy. That honestly seems like best case scenario. ~80-year old Harrison as Indy just isn't viable.

Z dweller

C'mon guys, look on the bright side!

We finally got a release date for Frozen II. :sick:

Lambonius said:
I feel like this all but confirms that if Indy 5 actually happens, it's going to include Ford bookends with a younger actor as the headliner playing a prequel Indy. That honestly seems like best case scenario. ~80-year old Harrison as Indy just isn't viable.

Yep, agreed: considering how unlikely it is that they still shoot in 2018, the postponement practically guarantees that scenario.

This is the only silver lining.

Last edited: