Indy 5 news 2017

IndyBuff

Lambonius said:
I feel like this all but confirms that if Indy 5 actually happens, it's going to include Ford bookends with a younger actor as the headliner playing a prequel Indy. That honestly seems like best case scenario. ~80-year old Harrison as Indy just isn't viable.

Unfortunately this seems the most plausible. If that's the case I'd rather they just not do it.

Silvor

Lambonius said:
I feel like this all but confirms that if Indy 5 actually happens, it's going to include Ford bookends with a younger actor as the headliner playing a prequel Indy. That honestly seems like best case scenario. ~80-year old Harrison as Indy just isn't viable.
I find it a bit weird how Spielberg was so keen and enthusiastic about working with Harrison on Indy 5 before it was announced if this is the case.
It just feels needless to go back to Indy again for both of them if all Ford is going to do is be in bookends for the real movie. Just don't do it if you're not going to really do it.

Face_Melt

Silvor said:
I find it a bit weird how Spielberg was so keen and enthusiastic about working with Harrison on Indy 5 before it was announced if this is the case.
It just feels needless to go back to Indy again for both of them if all Ford is going to do is be in bookends for the real movie. Just don't do it if you're not going to really do it.

The point of the bookends is to make the new film series canon with the original series - so it's better than nothing. A one year difference doesn't mean he won't be involved in the film in less capacity. It's just a bummer.

IndyForever

Another year wait sucks but I suspected for a while it would get a delay as no proper news at all really. Would not be surprised if it never gets made either as by then it will have been 4 years since Spielberg said he was looking forward to it will he still be as keen?

Best thing they can do is proceed as planned get it filmed next year then spend the other time polishing in post production & or a few minor reshoots if it needs them.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I'm okay with this. I was just worrying this morning Indy might have to dodge yet another Hollywood strike...
1980 Actors strike, three months
1988 Writers Guild of America strike, March 7 to August 7
2007–2008 Writers Guild of America strike, Nov 2007-Feb 2008
...but now that's less likely. It may still film in 2018. Lucasfilm apparently learned from Rogue One to have a nice long run-up, preferably 2 years as with Star Wars 9 shooting this summer.

Thanks to curmudgeon's excellent post. It's possible there will be no Star Wars Anthology in 2020. Even Marvel speaks of taking something of a break, saga-wise. And who knows what Pixar has on deck after its victory lap of 3 more sequels this decade. Here's summer 2020 so far:
Untitled Marvel Movie (May 2020) (BV) - 5/1/20
Godzilla vs. Kong (WB) - 5/29/20
Untitled Pixar Animation (June 2020) (BV) - 6/19/20
Minions 2 (Uni.) - 7/3/20
Untitled Indiana Jones (2019) (BV) - 7/10/20
Untitled DC Film (2020) (WB) - 7/24/20
Untitled Paramount/Nickelodeon Hybrid (Par.) - 7/31/20
Untitled Marvel Movie (July 2020) (BV) - 8/7/20
Untitled WB Event Film #2 (2020) (WB) - 8/7/20
Guardians of the Galaxy 3 is in there and some of the others are probably guessable.

Z dweller

Silvor said:
Things change, plans get reassessed.

It happens all the time, particularly in the movie business.

Udvarnoky

Z dweller said:
Things change, plans get reassessed.

It happens all the time, particularly in the movie business.

And also, we're going by things Spielberg says between action and cut during press junkets. How he really feels is anybody's guess, but the way he's prioritizing the movie in his schedule speaks way louder than any posturing in interviews. He could have just as easily fast-tracked Indy 5 as his Oscar bait movie.

I think we have to accept the very real possibility at this point that the movie ain't happening.

dr.jones1986

Moedred said:
I'm okay with this. I was just worrying this morning Indy might have to dodge yet another Hollywood strike...

...but now that's less likely. It may still film in 2018. Lucasfilm apparently learned from Rogue One to have a nice long run-up, preferably 2 years as with Star Wars 9 shooting this summer.

Thanks to curmudgeon's excellent post. It's possible there will be no Star Wars Anthology in 2020. Even Marvel speaks of taking something of a break, saga-wise. And who knows what Pixar has on deck after its victory lap of 3 more sequels this decade. Here's summer 2020 so far:

Guardians of the Galaxy 3 is in there and some of the others are probably guessable.

That was what I was thinking. As of now there is not a scheduled Star Wars project beyond episode IX. Perhaps Indy will get the year 2020 all to himself before Lucasfilm relases the next Star Wars anthology the following year? It would be nice to have a summer where Indy can shine and take center stage without another Star Wars film. This might be the best case scenario.

Remove the attachment to future films being a Ford / Spielberg / Usual Players franchise, bring in young writers, even base a story off one of the books and we could have a series of movies done right. With only four movies out over the last three or four decades, Indy 5 might not be as appealing to younger audiences who aren't as familiar with the franchise. If the movie does not perform as well as expected (not saying it won't make tons of money), I hope Disney doesn't interpret it the wrong way and step away from Indy. Anything can be bad business if the business handled bad.

While this has dampened my excitement quite a bit, I look forward to one last Ford outing. Then bring in the new talent on every level.

Last edited:

Face_Melt

hismasterplan said:
Remove the attachment to future films being a Ford / Spielberg / Usual Players franchise, bring in young writers, even base a story off one of the books and we could have a series of movies done right. With only four movies out over the last three or four decades, Indy 5 might not be as appealing to younger audiences who aren't as familiar with the franchise. If the movie does not perform as well as expected (not saying it won't make tons of money), I hope Disney doesn't interpret it the wrong way and step away from Indy. Anything can be bad business if the business handled bad.

While this has dampened my excitement quite a bit, I look forward to one last Ford outing. Then bring in the new talent on every level.

Wrong - look at the Force Awakens. Harrison Ford was a big reason it made as much money as it did. People wanted to see Harrison Ford (the biggest movie star of all time) play Han Solo again (the most popular Star Wars character of all time). Episodes 8 and 9 will bank - but none will come close to Episode 7 without Ford.

Indiana Jones 5 without Ford would be a big mistake, a mistake Disney will not make - hence why he has already been announced for the film.

Face_Palm said:
Wrong - look at the Force Awakens. Harrison Ford was a big reason it made as much money as it did. People wanted to see Harrison Ford (the biggest movie star of all time) play Han Solo again (the most popular Star Wars character of all time). Episodes 8 and 9 will bank - but none will come close to Episode 7 without Ford.

Indiana Jones 5 without Ford would be a big mistake, a mistake Disney will not make - hence why he has already been announced for the film.

Not sure what you meant by wrong, but yes I agree. Just saying we could have a consistent franchise if creativity was given to more people, even a new actor in a spin off or a post-Indy 5 sequel.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
My only real concern is if at 88 John Williams will be composing or decomposing. I hope they pass him scripts and storyboards so he can get as get some tunes down now. Maybe even let him score the previsualization.

Raiders90

Udvarnoky said:
I'm feeling some downright "Raiders112390" pangs of paranoia about Disney's commitment to this project.

I know I sound paranoid, but I really do feel that after Carrie's passing, I think Disney want Harrison out of the way. I mean, look at all the positive buzz TDK got because of Heath Ledger's passing. It was a great film regardless, but it got even more buzz with a dead Ledger than it would've with him alive. They can bank on the public's good will and nostalgia for a deceased Ford. I'm sorry, I know it sounds paranoid, but I don't trust large corporations. They just saw not six months ago how sudden death can come with Carrie dying at a decade younger than Harrison is. They saw Harrison's near miss with a plane only a few months ago. The man is going to be 75. And they want to push it back even further??? Come on now.

Stoo said:
His Disney "paranoia" didn't start until recently (which was a 180° degree turn from 2012). :rolleyes:

A select few have been aware of the dangerous Disney acquisition. This news shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone with a brain. :gun:

A lot changes in five years. I didn't realize how insidious Disney was then. In 2012, Disney was the childhood movies I loved. Not a soulless corporation. I got older and wised up.

Not to bring politics into it, but this will now be the third term an Indy film is released during an election year:

TOD - 1984 - Reagan vs. Mondale
KOTCS - 2008 - Obama vs. McCain
Indy V - 2020 - Trump vs ????

It doesn't bode well. Raiders and LC, which were better received than the other two, were released in the first years of a new Presidency (1981, first year of Reagan's presidency; 1989 first year of GHW Bush's).

2020 will mark 39 years since Raiders, 31 years since LC, and 12 years since KOTCS.

Also, if they move real life time between films in tandem with time between Indy's adventures, 2008 (1957) to 2020 would bring us to 1969 in Indy's world. Not an era I want to see Indy in. Early 1960s I could accept. 1969...Altamont, Woodstock? Meh...

Last edited by a moderator:

Udvarnoky

If it comes out that they're still aiming to shoot next summer despite the moved release date, I'll stay optimistic, but otherwise it's hard not to make assuptions about Spielberg and Disney's interest in the project.

IndyBuff

Udvarnoky said:
If it comes out that they're still aiming to shoot next summer despite the moved release date, I'll stay optimistic, but otherwise it's hard not to make assuptions about Spielberg and Disney's interest in the project.

Exactly. They could still shoot the film next year and just hold it over---at least they'd have it in the can and ready to go. Waiting until 2019 or even 2020 to shoot just seems reckless and it's just more proof that Indy isn't the priority they keep saying it is.

Z dweller

Udvarnoky said:
If it comes out that they're still aiming to shoot next summer despite the moved release date, I'll stay optimistic.
Let's assume for a moment that they are still aiming to shoot next year. How would we find out?

Do you expect Speilberg/Koepp to leak something about the script at some point? Perhaps just an interview saying that they have a final draft?

If we don't hear anything between now and the end of this year, would you draw the conclusion that they are not going to shoot in 2018?

Udvarnoky said:
but otherwise it's hard not to make assuptions about Spielberg and Disney's interest in the project.
There's no way Disney aren't going to make more Indy movies at some point.

Whether or not Spielberg is involved is another matter (and personally, I'd be totally ok with him out of the picture, even for Indy 5).

hismasterplan said:
Remove the attachment to future films being a Ford / Spielberg / Usual Players franchise, bring in young writers, even base a story off one of the books and we could have a series of movies done right.
^ This.

Udvarnoky

Z dweller said:
Let's assume for a moment that they are still aiming to shoot next year. How would we find out?

Because that kind of thing doesn't get kept secret, and in fact generally comes with a press release. Barring that you'd have casting announcements, etc.

Z dweller said:
If we don't hear anything between now and the end of this year, would you draw the conclusion that they are not going to shoot in 2018?

It would be hard not to at that point. In the case of Crystal Skull, the approved draft/greenlight came in Dec. 2006, with production beginning June 2007. So it seems reasonable we'd hear something within six months of the camera rolling. On the other hand, look at how rapidly The Post went from not existing at all to having a release date eight months from now.

Z dweller said:
There's no way Disney aren't going to make more Indy movies at some point.

I was of course talking about the Ford/Spielberg Indy 5, which is the project in question and the one actually announced.

Last edited:

Z dweller

Udvarnoky said:
Because that kind of thing doesn't get kept secret, and in fact generally comes with a press release. Barring that you'd have casting announcements, etc.
By when would we need to see those if they aim to start shooting, say, in the second half of 2018?

EDIT: I just saw your edit, thanks.

Udvarnoky

I think if anybody asks Spielberg about Indy 5 during press junkets for The Post - which they will - and he has an intention to still shoot Indy 5 next year, he would make that intention known.

Z dweller

Raiders112390 said:
I know I sound paranoid, but I really do feel that after Carrie's passing, I think Disney want Harrison out of the way.
I'm not sure it's to do with Carrie's passing.

Maybe they just appraised the reaction to the announcement of a fifth Indy movie starring Ford (which was made over a year ago), and realized that a new actor would actually be the preferred choice for most prospective viewers.