Best Scenes in an Indy Film

00Kevin

Indyfan
Rank your top 10 all time favorite scenes from the Indy Films:

I know, it's hard, so many good ones to pick from

my favs:

10) LC opening...everything an indy films needs, action, surprises, great music, humor, adventure....BLAH BLAH BLAH
9) well of souls and marion and belloq getting drunk....good, almost eerie music....some suspence...some funny parts (watch belloq's face when marion holds up the knife....hahaha)
8) Street of Cairo....action...the swordsman (I still hear people talk about that scene :D)
7) freeing the kids in the ToD...kids running around, fighting thugs, smashing decorations...indy punching the lights out of foes....willie standing around doing nothing....shorty roasting the maharaja (SP??) :D and of corse: The flatening of the head thugee :D...and swell music
6) raiders opening...the traps, the idol switch, the boulder, for sure the most famous scene in the films
5) in the temple at the canyon of the creasent moon....traps, gatta love 'em, good lines, a little emotional junk there too, John William gives another great score
4) Tank chase....humor, action blah blah blah
3) LC motorbike chase and stopped at the cross roads.....the chase is excellent, good action and humor, and where they stop at the crossroads it provides good plot and charactor building....I like the 'keeping up with the joneses' playing in the BG at the last second of this scene
2) raiders truck chase
1) The Raven Bar....fun, humor, action, great lines....(and we wouldn't have a Raven forum if not from that scene ;))

what do you guys say?

swords

10. Porteguiese Coast brawl
9. Tearing out the heart
8. Swordsman gag
7. Indy smashing through the window,"Junior?"
6. Club Obi Won brawl
5. Caving in ceilings
4. Pat Roach ToD fight
3. Pat Roach Raiders fight
2. Tank chase
1. Truck chase

As you can see, the action dominates my opinion. I didn't even put any trap scenes in spite of the spiked ceiling scenes of ToD which I felt was very action packed in from an different angle. I like the drama of course, but this is from an entertaining quotient factor standpoint, the action. For dramatic purposes:

It would be something like Willie's and Indy's flirting exchanges, to first place belonging to Belloq and Indy's chat in the marketplace, with others in between.

Well, I wonder what others will say, hmmm...

wolfgang

well, i like all the scenes all the same, but there is a scene from each movie that makes me...i dunno, love it a teeny tynee bit more. in raiders, the idol chase, in temple the part were the bugs are (I just LOVE Harrison's "We-ar-going-to-die) and the whole grail scene on Last crusade...you know the cave where its held. but I love em all.

ROTLA

10. In LC, Elsa being told by Indy that the picture on the wall is of the Ark of the Covenant. "Are you sure?" "Pretty sure."
9. Indy talking to Donovan about the grail lore in LC.
8. Swordsman gag/streets of Cairo.
7. The old man pointing out the way to the village to Indy, Willie and Shorty. (Odd one, I know)
6. Club Obi Wan scene.
5. Indy rescuing Henry Sr. from the castle.
4. The scene where Indy and Marcus are talking to the government agents about the Nazis going after the Ark.
3. Indy seeing Marion at the Raven Bar.
2. The truck chase in Raiders.
1. The opening scene in Raiders. Quite possibly my favorite movie scene of all-time.

Obviously most of my favorites are from Raiders. I think that movie has every element a viewer could ask for. That's why it ranks as my favorite all-time movie.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I don't particularly care for ranking things (too difficult), but since my comrades have, I'll do the same.

10) The Portuguese coast - mainly for the intriguing character of Panama Hat...the fight wasn't bad, and a fair amount of suspense with the cross...topped off by the hat floating by and the S.S. Coronado on the side of the ship
9)Escaping from Castle Brunwald - mainly for the burning hall, the bust of Hitler, and of course the stairs...also the motorcycle chase
8)Henry's House - primarly for what may be my favorite line of dialogue - "I'll tell him we'll take two"
7)Tank chase - largely for the fact that all the major characters are in it, and get a bit of screen time...plus my favorite "boss" fight
6)the Rope Bridge - I feel compelled to include all the major villain deaths, and I must admit, cutting the bridge was quite daring...plus I like the music
5)the chat with Belloq - perhaps the most intriguing scene in the film, and quite revealing for both characters - some of the best dialogue
4)the ark trek/Opening of the ark - dramatic music, the stand-off, Toht wiping his brow, and melting soon afterwards
3)The Grail Temple - the confrontation, where Donovan really becomes villainous, his death, the traps, and the suspense from Henry's wound...not to mention the Grail Knight, and of course, riding off into the sunset afterwards
2)bug tunnel/death trap - extremely suspenseful, extremely funny...and Indy's expressions reach a whole new level
1)Club Obi-Wan - an unexpected musical number, great deliberations for the diamond/ashes, and the humorous fight scene - cigarette girl, the balloons, and of course the gong to end it all

[Edited by Attila the Professor on 06-25-2003 at 12:48 pm]

indymcfly714

10. Adolf Hitler Autograph
9. Opening scene in Raiders
8. Belloq exploding
7. Shorty kicking butt in temple
6. Plane fight in raiders
5. Motorcylcle chase scene in Last Crusade
4. Club Obi-Wan fight
3. The Raven bar fight
2. Boyscout opening in last crusade
1. Retrieving the ark on the truck sequence

bob

10 - The Plane/car chase in LC
9 - Portugese coast
8- Peru
7 - Tank chase
6 - The Indy 'kicks butt' section scene of ToD after he has recovered from being brainwahed
5 - Truck chase
4 - The Demise of Donovan/destruction of Temple
3 - Indy climbs onto Submarine
2 - The three challanges (LC)
1 - The riding into Sunset in LC

It is extremely difficult though as soon as i finished this i thought of another dozen that i would have put down

[Edited by bob on 06-25-2003 at 12:49 pm]

00Kevin

Indyfan
yeah

good point with the sunset

I think I'll have to bump it up

okay, from now on, the last 1/2 minutes of LC, including 'what did you find', 'named the dog indiana' and riding into the sun-set will be my #1 choice

great bloody lines, good humor, great music

when it was first scene, we thought it would be the last we ever saw of our fedora-wearing, bullwhip-cracking hero.......and It did justice, giving the audience a good feeling

10. When Fedora puts the hat on teenage Indy and says "you lost today kid, but that doesn't mean you have to like it"
9. WHen indy saves the children in TOD
8. The jungle scene in Tod.
7. The opening of the ark- so spooky, gotta love the music.
6. The whole truck chase in Raiders.
5. The scene when Indy and Elsa arrive at the castle in LC and indy puts on a fake scottish accent.
4. The Club Obi wan scene in TOD, indy looks so so so hot in that tux and it's hysterical to hear the chinese guy with the machine gun laughing.
3. The whole opening raiders scene
2. After Indy climbs back up the cliff after the tank chase and his dad hugs him and the best part is when HIS HAT COMES FLYING BACK!! I know i'm weird, but i LOVE that part.
1. As 00Kevin said above, the whole last two minutes of LC. I love how Henry found "illumination", it just makes me feel very religious all of a sudden. Also When they ride off into the sunset, i just get overwhelmed with emotion, you know?

00Kevin

Indyfan
Indygirl21 said:
1. As 00Kevin said above, the whole last two minutes of LC. I love how Henry found "illumination", it just makes me feel very religious all of a sudden. Also When they ride off into the sunset, i just get overwhelmed with emotion, you know?

"yep" *puts on a pair of glasses* "That's why we're nerds."

just kidding :D

but don't give me credit....all the credit goes to bob ;)

[Edited by 00Kevin on 06-26-2003 at 07:34 pm]

indy_kicks_arse

Ok here are mine

10. The fighting on the boat in Last Crusade, not in Venice but one before that, after he obtains cross.
9. Boat chase in Venice
8. Raiders opening
7. ToD opening
6. Last Crusade 'Don't call me junior' bit
5. Motorbike chase in LC
4. Tank chase
3. Mechanic and indy fighting in Raiders
2. Truck chase
1. Indy beating the hell out of pat roach in ToD

Canyon

Indygirl21 said:
4. The Club Obi wan scene in TOD, indy looks so so so hot in that tux and it's hysterical to hear the chinese guy with the machine gun laughing.

Allow me to say that I agree with you in every single way! :D <small>Damn, he was hot...</small>

Indyologist

And how could we forget

"Oh Indy. . . be gentle with me" AND
"How DARE you kiss me!" (followed by lusty smootching and grabbing)