The Offical KotCS Magazine

Spriggan Jones

Agent Spalko said:
That's about as lame as opening World Is Not Enough with Bond walking across the street with a briefcase. LAME!!!!!!!

teaser_033.jpg

lynchpin

Show me the money.

Agent Spalko said:
That's about as lame as opening World Is Not Enough with Bond walking across the street with a briefcase. LAME!!!!!!!

Spalko, with all due respect, you do recall that the moment you mention opened the longest opening prologue in Bond history, don't you?

eroc

Spielberg:
"...Then George came to me one day and said, 'You might be right about this alien thing. Maybe we shouldn't do aliens. There's too much of that stuff around.' I said, 'George, I love you! That's the best news you've ever given me!'"

Spielberg, on Ford: "... and I'm sure he's got another 10 years in him if he wants to do something else like this again. Harrison was the secret weapon: he made me realize that he was the center of this piece from the very beginning." and not even George could **** it up.

Last edited:

Raiders90

Agent Spalko said:
CLOSE but Christmas Jones beats Tanya Roberts for WORST Bond Girl ever.

Why would you say Christmas Jones (name aside) was a bad character?
I mean--even in the best Bond films, the Bond girls are never too realistic and don't have any real depth (for example, Jill and Tilly Masterson in Goldfinger)

You're kidding, right? Denise Richards as a nuclear physicist is about as believable as Indy surviving an atomic blast in a refrigerator.

"We have to get the pla-to-ne-um from the re-act-or."

eroc said:
How did a KOTCS magazine thread in the Spoiler section become a James Bond thread?:confused:

Your spoiler about the prologue (or lack of one thereof) sparked a debate about prologues in comparison to Indy and Bond. I still think Goldfinger and You Only Live Twice have the best Bond prologues. Nothing beats Raiders for Indy.

Raiders90

Agent Spalko said:
You're kidding, right? Denise Richards as a nuclear physicist is about as believable as Indy surviving an atomic blast in a refrigerator.

"We have to get the pla-to-ne-um from the re-act-or."

Well, on the subject of Indy, he's had more unbelievable moments than that, and on Denise, I forgot she played a physicist. I thought we were talking about the Bond girl/villain, the one who was suffering from Stolkholm Syndrome.

Raiders112390 said:
Well, on the subject of Indy, he's had more unbelievable moments than that, and on Denise, I forgot she played a physicist. I thought we were talking about the Bond girl/villain, the one who was suffering from Stolkholm Syndrome.

Oh Sophie Marceau. Yeah she was a non-villain villain. She could take a few lessons from Elsa on betrayal.

Raiders90

Agent Spalko said:
Oh Sophie Marceau. Yeah she was a non-villain villain. She could take a few lessons from Elsa on betrayal.

Yeah. If you don't mind I'm going to make a Bond thread in the Film section, if you want you can lend your views over there.

nitzsche

Anyway - there is a prologue. We pick up the third act of an adventure where the nemesis and supporting characters are introduced. It is an action piece involving the pursuit of a separate McGuffin and then the primary plot picks up after campus scenes... same formula as Raiders and LC. In fact, it's more like Raiders than LC. LC is the odd one with dual prologues.

eroc

Originally Posted by Agent Spalko

In defense of the fridge, in the fifties those beast weighted like 2000 lbs and they were made of lead. It's great for a movie's beginning. And remember this is an Indy flick.

eroc

nitzsche said:
Anyway - there is a prologue. We pick up the third act of an adventure where the nemesis and supporting characters are introduced. It is an action piece involving the pursuit of a separate McGuffin and then the primary plot picks up after campus scenes... same formula as Raiders and LC. In fact, it's more like Raiders than LC. LC is the odd one with dual prologues.

How do you figure it is separate?
Spalko is seeking an alien body with has something to do with the 13 skulls, and that is the main story.
same McGuffin.

nitzsche

The Russians are pursuing any and all possible alien technology and Spalko is interested in material from the Roswell crash. I'm not convinced Spalko is in pursuit of the Crystal Skull at the warehouse. From the description, she seems to be after something else entirely...
probably an alien body from the crash site.

eroc

nitzsche said:
The Russians are pursuing any and all possible alien technology and Spalko is interested in material from the Roswell crash. I'm not convinced Spalko is in pursuit of the Crystal Skull at the warehouse. From the description, she seems to be after something else entirely...
probably an alien body from the crash site.
yeah, it is, i know, but i think her whole adventure starts there and stays the course. It's Indy that leaves that adventure and goes on another one and gets brought back in to the original "spalko" storyline. So in a way, it is the reverse way of doing the prologue. get it? i think i do, finally.

so it's the same, but different.

nitzsche

Well, Spalko is not exactly like Belloq. She's not an archaeologist who is competing with Indy for just any old artifact. Spalko does have a motive behind pursuing this advanced alien technology. So this opening adventure sets up Spalko's overall agenda - to acquire advanced technology. At the warehouse, she is pursuing the artifacts from the Roswell crash site. That's different from the Skull quest, which seems to have its set up after the opening teaser. Indy gets involved with Mutt and encounters Spalko and the Russians again, this time on the same quest for the same McGuffin.

But that's really beside the point. The movie starts in the middle of one adventure and there is a finale to it. Then the main plot picks up after.

This is the same prologue formula they have always used. Someone else always has to set up the primary plot for Indy... government agents, Indian villagers, Walter Donovan. In the case of KOTCS, Mutt is the guy who introduces Indy to the main plot.

eroc

You've got a good point there. But maybe, the main plot is Indy finding Marion? We know
that when Mutt confronts Indy he says that if you help me find my mom, and my uncle oxley you could find the mytical Crystal Skull Of Akator too. He has no idea that Mutt's mom is Marion. We do but he doesn't. Makes for a great twist, really a three way twist.