Hot Sauce

Goodeknight

Not a big fan of Tabasco. I much prefer Texas Pete.

A household staple is Pizza Friday. Cheap pizzas from Little Caesar, but with Texas Pete, garlic salt, and a generous sprinkle of parmesan.

Personally, as a guy, I've never felt it necessary to drink acid to prove my manliness. I like spicy, but not insane spicy. What's the point?

The Drifter

goodeknight said:
Personally, as a guy, I've never felt it necessary to drink acid to prove my manliness. I like spicy, but not insane spicy. What's the point?

I'm the same way. I like spicy with taste to it. Now, I do like some habanero sauces, but anything beyond that I don't fool with. They tend to use just the capsaicin extract, and that is just not tastsy at all.
And, I like Texas Pete a lot also. I grew up with it always around.

Stoo

goodeknight said:
Have you ever seen the episode of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" where Larry goes to the Mexican restaurant? If not check out this scene.
The Drifter said:
I'm the same way. I like spicy with taste to it. Now, I do like some habanero sauces, but anything beyond that I don't fool with. They tend to use just the capsaicin extract, and that is just not tastsy at all.
And, I like Texas Pete a lot also. I grew up with it always around.
I'm with you & Goodenight but my girlfriend likes it super hot. She's a hot sauce freak.:eek:

Any of you guys ever try wasabi? Even the tiniest morsel is DEADLY.:dead:

The Drifter

Stoo said:
I'm with you & Goodenight but my girlfriend likes it super hot. She's a hot sauce freak.:eek:

Your girlfriend is the exact opposite of my wife. My wife can't even use crushed red pepper flakes!
And, yes. I have tried wasabi. I have a few bottles of this kind.
I'm a fan of horseradish, and when I first used this, I put a huge glop on my sandwich and spread it around, took a bite, and WOW!
I lost my breath for a few seconds and my nostrils stung like they were on fire!

EDIT: Also, hold the presses! Attila, is that hot sauce you posted made from the ghost chili!? Wow! How does it taste? Does it have any taste through all the heat?

Last edited:

Goodeknight

Stoo said:

It is deadly, but a tiny touch of it on some sushi is great.

Friend of a friend was eating sushi with a newbie, who asked what it was. "Guacamole" was the answer, so he ate it as one large spoonful. You can imagine the reaction.

(Guacamole at a sushi restaurant?)

The Drifter

goodeknight said:
It is deadly, but a tiny touch of it on some sushi is great.

Friend of a friend was eating sushi with a newbie, who asked what it was. "Guacamole" was the answer, so he ate it as one large spoonful. You can imagine the reaction.

(Guacamole at a sushi restaurant?)

I use it at my favorite sushi place as well. I let the wife try some, and I watched her gag sputter as I laughed! ;)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
The Drifter said:

I've seen that stuff a number of times, but never actually given it a shot. With your endorsement, maybe I'll have to. I like wasabi, but pungency has a whole different thing going on than spiciness as an experience; I never feel the impulse outside of sushi.

The Drifter said:
EDIT: Also, hold the presses! Attila, is that hot sauce you posted made from the ghost chili!? Wow! How does it taste? Does it have any taste through all the heat?

Yeah, it is ghost pepper-based, so it's definitely a just a dab will do you kind of thing: a hot sauce to be dripped, rather than poured. But it's got other ingredients, so while it's very spicy, it's also very flavorful (the ingredients list also includes papaya, passion fruit, lime, carrots, and garlic).

Melinda's is very good at offering flavorful yet spicy sauces. They've got a great jalapeño ketchup.

The Drifter

Attila the Professor said:
I've seen that stuff a number of times, but never actually given it a shot. With your endorsement, maybe I'll have to. I like wasabi, but pungency has a whole different thing going on than spiciness as an experience; I never feel the impulse outside of sushi.

I'd recommend that you buy a bottle, and try just a little. I use it on my toasted roast beef sandwiches, and my Reubens (along with the Thousand island dressing). Just a small dollop, and you're good to go.

Yeah, it is ghost pepper-based, so it's definitely a just a dab will do you kind of thing: a hot sauce to be dripped, rather than poured. But it's got other ingredients, so while it's very spicy, it's also very flavorful (the ingredients list also includes papaya, passion fruit, lime, carrots, and garlic).

Melinda's is very good at offering flavorful yet spicy sauces. They've got a great jalapeño ketchup.

That's what type of sauce I enjoy. I dislike sauces that use pure heat and nothing else to balance it and give it a good taste and flavor.
I was on Melinda's website today, and I like how each of their sauces seem to have other flavors with the heat. I am thinking of ordering about six different types from there, as well as their ketchup.

Indy's brother

DAIN_photo.jpg

I put this on practically everything.

Indy's brother

One or two drops for a decent size bowl of chili is plenty. There's some heat, it's a flavor is kind of minimal. Oh hell, drop 5 bucks or whatever and check it out. I bought it at Highlander, which has all the same stock as your local Kroger. ;)

Pale Horse

Staff member
The Drifter said:
I've read a lot about Dave's Insanity Sauce. Does it have good taste along with the heat? How hot is it?

Hot. Very hot. I have to fascinating stories of my experience with it. Make that three.

1) a bet with a Marine
2) my ball sack
3) thanatosis

Pick two...there won't be a poll.

Stoo

KT Templar said:
I tried some '100% Pain' hot sauce by dipping a tortilla chip in it. You know you are in trouble when you get that second of numbness before the heat hits. Took about 15 mins to subside.
The Drifter said:
I'm a fan of horseradish, and when I first used this, I put a huge glop on my sandwich and spread it around, took a bite, and WOW!
I lost my breath for a few seconds and my nostrils stung like they were on fire!
goodenight said:
Funny stories!:D

@KT Templar: "100% Pain"? That sounds vicious!:eek:
@The Drifter: Ha ha, Sucker.:p Great description!
@goodeknight: That is both cruel & hilarious at the same time.(y)
The Drifter said:
I've read a lot about Dave's Insanity Sauce. Does it have good taste along with the heat? How hot is it?
You wrote that Dave's Insanity was one that you used "on a regular basis".:confused:

The Drifter

Stoo said:
@The Drifter: Ha ha, Sucker. Great description!
Thanks! It's about how it felt. I learned a hard lesson that day, and that's to only use a small bit of wasabi!

Stoo said:
You wrote that Dave's Insanity was one that you used "on a regular basis".:confused:

Now, I feel like a big dumbass. I didn't even notice that I typed that, until now.
No, I don't have Dave's, and I meant to say that I have Emeril's. No idea where Dave's Insanity came from! :eek:

Last edited:

AlivePoet

Here in Korea, I find the spices tend to range between quite flavourful and barely digestible--kinds that make you sweat outside, and kinds that make your stomach turn inside. Chili pepper is the mainstay, whether pastes or sauces, you name it, they got it. (Never thought that a donut would contain anything spicy, but lo and behold, the sweet pastry envelopes a sizzling baby chili pepper inside...chili surprise.)

Anyway, I've been using a really spicy hot chili pepper sauce for stir-fried veg. (called "hot" in Korean), and it packs a kick--so much that I use just a few drops for a full portion.

The Drifter

AlivePoet said:
Here in Korea, I find the spices tend to range between quite flavourful and barely digestible--kinds that make you sweat outside, and kinds that make your stomach turn inside. Chili pepper is the mainstay, whether pastes or sauces, you name it, they got it. (Never thought that a donut would contain anything spicy, but lo and behold, the sweet pastry envelopes a sizzling baby chili pepper inside...chili surprise.)

I would love to sample some of the food there. And, the donut with the awaiting chili inside sounds like something that I would enjoy. I worked for a guy who went to Avery Island in Louisiana (Where the main plant and pepper fields for Tabasco or located). He came back with a tin of chocolate candies made from the tabasco pepper. They were surprisingly good!

AlivePoet said:
Anyway, I've been using a really spicy hot chili pepper sauce for stir-fried veg. (called "hot" in Korean), and it packs a kick--so much that I use just a few drops for a full portion.

Do you know if one can find it online? I use Sriracha sauce, and a garlic chili sauce that originated from Thailand/Vietnam. It has a good heat, and very tasty.
The man who started the company that makes this migrated to America in the 1980s. Here is a picture of both.
rooster+sauce.jpg

Indy's brother

The Drifter said:

I've used these in restaraunts before, which reminded me: the hands-down best mexican hot sauce to be had can only be found in a chicagoland chain known as El Famous Burrito Red or green, you can guess which is hot and which is mild. Too bad you can't buy the stuff. Pretty sure they make it on site. Anyone with experience care to back me on this?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Sriracha is great stuff. It's thickness makes it fantastic for sandwiches, what with the spreadability. I don't think there's a better template for a breakfast sandwich out there than one working off of egg, some crisp vegetables (spinach, cucumbers, and tomato), and some sriracha.

Slightly off-topic, but since the donuts have come into this: has anyone here ever had any of these?

chocolate-covered-jalapenos.jpg

Yeah, chocolate covered jalapeños. I'm not a fan. The chocolate is part of it, but I've also found that I'm not wild about fresh, uncooked jalapeños.

The Drifter

Indy's brother said:
I've used these in restaraunts before, which reminded me: the hands-down best mexican hot sauce to be had can only be found in a chicagoland chain known as El Famous Burrito Red or green, you can guess which is hot and which is mild. Too bad you can't buy the stuff. Pretty sure they make it on site. Anyone with experience care to back me on this?

That sounds wonderful that they make it on site. Our local Mexican joints mostly either use Valentina or El Yucatece. I do enjoy both sauces, but I am willing to bet that a hot sauce made on location would be tons better.

Sriracha is great stuff. It's thickness makes it fantastic for sandwiches, what with the spreadability. I don't think there's a better template for a breakfast sandwich out there than one working off of egg, some crisp vegetables (spinach, cucumbers, and tomato), and some sriracha.

You are right on the money! I love this stuff on eggs. I use it on an egg sandwich a lot (minus the vegetables, save tomato), and I also just put it on a plain fried egg and also top it with course black pepper.
Try mixing it in with pasta sauce while in the simmering stages. That's great also.

Yeah, chocolate covered jalapeños. I'm not a fan. The chocolate is part of it, but I've also found that I'm not wild about fresh, uncooked jalapeños.

Never tried those, but I would. I raise cayenne and jalapeño peppers every year, and catch myself picking and eating them right from the vine. But, my favorite way to eat jalapeños is either pickled or stuffed.

Last edited: