Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar

JasonMa

So there appear to be (at least so far) 8 different coasters that are used at Jock's.

6 of them are bars from Indy:
The Raven - Raiders
Club Obi-Wan - Temple
Atomic Cafe - Skull
Cafe Noir - Young Indy and the Attack of the Hawkmen
Le Lapin Agile - Young Indy, Paris Sept. 1908
The Dark Horse Tavern - Indiana Jones & the Philosophers Stone

One I believe is an inside joke about Reggie:
La Cantina De Piton/The Python Bar (since Reggie is a boa constrictor but the snake used in the movie was actually a Burmese python)

One is a Rocketeer reference:
The South Seas Club

BTW I have extras of the Club Obi-Wan, Le Lapin Agile, and Python Bar coasters for trade if anyone is interested. I'll be back in Florida to visit my father-in-law in October and plan to load up on whatever coasters they may have at that point.

(Updated after I figured out what the Dark Horse is a reference to)

Last edited:

Le Saboteur

JasonMa said:
(Updated after I figured out what the Dark Horse is a reference to)

The obvious reference would be to Dark Horse Comics, the outfit that published almost all of Dr. Jones' outings in that particular medium. There are a couple of places in the real world with similar names, but nothing that sticks out as being particularly Indy-related.

I'd be interested in The Python Bar coasters, but I don't have anything to trade. Buy yes, trade no.

Stoo said:
I won't see it in person for another week but she sent a quick photo. To me, it looks better in the illustration.

It doesn't help that Disney chose an African design. Despite being thematically incorrect, African monkeys are generally terrible. Well, except for the black-and-white colobus monkeys. The Zanzibar red-and-white colobus monkeys are cool too, but these are quite rare.

I would have gone with an Indian or Asian design based on the... red shanked douc, purple faced langur, or golden langur. Maybe even a mashup of all three!

JasonMa

Le Saboteur said:
The obvious reference would be to Dark Horse Comics, the outfit that published almost all of Dr. Jones' outings in that particular medium. There are a couple of places in the real world with similar names, but nothing that sticks out as being particularly Indy-related.

I'd be interested in The Python Bar coasters, but I don't have anything to trade. Buy yes, trade no.
I thought that as well, but given that Disney took the Star Wars license back from Dark Horse once they acquired Lucasfilm so that they could publish through Marvel (which they own) my bet is that they wouldn't be promoting Dark Horse comics. So the Dark Horse bar from the novel seems like the most likely answer.

Let me see how I make out at the end of the summer filling in my collection. If I don't need extras to trade I'll be happy to send you a few of my duplicates. And for significantly less than the $10 per coaster people are tying to get on eBay :D

dr.jones1986

Le Saboteur said:

It doesn't help that Disney chose an African design. Despite being thematically incorrect, African monkeys are generally terrible. Well, except for the black-and-white colobus monkeys. The Zanzibar red-and-white colobus monkeys are cool too, but these are quite rare.

I would have gone with an Indian or Asian design based on the... red shanked douc, purple faced langur, or golden langur. Maybe even a mashup of all three!

I wouldn't have gone with any of those, none would be native to the region of India which Indy visited in Temple of Doom. Looks kind of like a Gray Langur but certainly not zoologically correct. All of these monkeys are of course inferior to the White Faced Capuchin, New World monkeys are superior, what with their prehensile tales. Dusky leaf monkeys are cool though as far as Old World monkeys go.

Le Saboteur

JasonMa said:
I thought that as well, but given that Disney took the Star Wars license back from Dark Horse once they acquired Lucasfilm so that they could publish through Marvel (which they own) my bet is that they wouldn't be promoting Dark Horse comics. So the Dark Horse bar from the novel seems like the most likely answer.

Disney... owns Marvel?! Do tell more.

Question: Why even reference Dark Horse at all? The casual audience won't get it at all, and anybody with a grasp of Indiana Jones' history in other mediums will be aware of Dark Horse's contribution to keeping Dr. Jones in the public eye. Disney need not promote Dark Horse, but the connection is there to see. Choosing another bar name would have been the wiser option if they were concerned about schilling for a different comix publisher.

dr.jones1986 said:
All of these monkeys are of course inferior to the White Faced Capuchin

Now you're just taking the ****.

Otherwise, having seen golden langurs in Assam State & Nagaland on more than one occasion I would have to argue they are definitely native to the region Dr. Jones would have actually crashed in.* None of those monkeys were chosen for region specificity, though. They were chosen strictly for color. The mug is painfully dull and deserves better.

* - There's nothing geographically consistent about Temple of Doom anyway.

This is neither here nor there, but somebody should really create a drink called the Indian Head Waggle.

Last edited:

dr.jones1986

Its a fictional film that wasn't even filmed in India but most sources place it much closer to Delhi in northern India, like Uttar Pradesh, not the extreme east of India where Golden Langurs would be found. Regardless they probably made it look that way because if they looked more like the film people woudn't want to drink out of them.

The mug Disney created looks almost as much a part of the "Enchanted Tiki Room" as it does African.

JasonMa

Le Saboteur said:
Disney... owns Marvel?! Do tell more.

Question: Why even reference Dark Horse at all? The casual audience won't get it at all, and anybody with a grasp of Indiana Jones' history in other mediums will be aware of Dark Horse's contribution to keeping Dr. Jones in the public eye. Disney need not promote Dark Horse, but the connection is there to see. Choosing another bar name would have been the wiser option if they were concerned about schilling for a different comix publisher.
It could also be one of those cases where the Imagineers were trying to slip something past corporate/the suits. They wanted to acknowledge the comics but knew that if they did it explicitly somebody would veto it. So they found a way that references a bar in Indy works but also relates the the comics. It would hardly be the first time the Imagineers did something like that.

And if we're voting on monkeys I like the black-and-white colobus monkeys personally. :whip:

JasonMa

The reason I was looking for the coaster info is because these two pin sets were released recently. Limited edition 200 for each of them. They are (obviously) pin versions of the coasters from the bar.
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Interesting note on that second set. The South Seas coaster is a Rocketeer reference. The coaster says (correctly) South Seas. The pin says, mistakenly. South Sea.

Le Saboteur

JasonMa said:
The reason I was looking for the coaster info is because these two pin sets were released recently. Limited edition 200 for each of them...

Because you want to buy them? Standard admonishment: Buy them because you like them, not because you think they'll be worth money. Personally, I don't find them that appealing. A set of postcards or a set of coasters you can buy would be more useful.

JasonMa said:
Interesting note on that second set. The South Seas coaster is a Rocketeer reference. The coaster says (correctly) South Seas. The pin says, mistakenly. South Sea.

That's an interesting mistake to make for the flick's 25th Anniversary this year!

JasonMa

Le Saboteur said:
Because you want to buy them? Standard admonishment: Buy them because you like them, not because you think they'll be worth money. Personally, I don't find them that appealing. A set of postcards or a set of coasters you can buy would be more useful.
Because I already bought them. I just thought others would be interested. I don't care if they go up or down in value.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I'm pulling for some kind of zeppelin bar coaster, then, which I recall thinking would be the only option for a Last Crusade-inspired fan forum, after our example and that of the gear heads.

dr.jones1986

Attila the Professor said:
I'm pulling for some kind of zeppelin bar coaster, then, which I recall thinking would be the only option for a Last Crusade-inspired fan forum, after our example and that of the gear heads.

I was thinking the same, something for the zeppelin scene would make sense being as "The Last Crusade" is the only film not currently represented by one of these coasters. I also think the bar Indy and Belloq visit in Cairo would make for another nice addition. They could also create one for Arnie's Diner from KotCS.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
dr.jones1986 said:
I was thinking the same, something for the zeppelin scene would make sense being as "The Last Crusade" is the only film not currently represented by one of these coasters. I also think the bar Indy and Belloq visit in Cairo would make for another nice addition. They could also create one for Arnie's Diner from KotCS.

There's also, for Last Crusade, the option of the cafe in Venice, but Europe is pretty well-represented in these so far, and the zeppelin would have the advantage of being in keeping with the aviation theme.

Le Saboteur

JasonMa said:
Because I already bought them. I just thought others would be interested. I don't care if they go up or down in value.

This is the only pin 'set' I own. I have a few others collected over the years, but nothing specific.

mhk394885LARGE.jpg

...which I recall thinking would be the only option for a Last Crusade-inspired fan forum, after our example and that of the gear heads.

While Zepp's Zippy Zephyr could be fun -- and in keeping with the aviation theme -- I prefer the indirect route; i.e., The Python Bar. You could give a nod to The Last Crusade with... Hank's Hookah Hut, Republic of Hatay. Fayeed's Falling Fez, Republic of Hatay. You get the idea. The Cataract Bar, Egypt.

Personally, I want to see the... Prop Wash-room, Barranca, South America. Or any of the countries along the Andean range.

JasonMa

Grat ideas here. I hope some of them show up.

The bar currently has travel posters on the walls for Iskenderun and Pankot Palace as well.

BTW as far as pins go my wife is a collector of Disney pins. She owns approximately 10,000 which is why I wanted to add the Jock's coasters to the collection. (y)

dr.jones1986

There's also, for Last Crusade, the option of the cafe in Venice, but Europe is pretty well-represented in these so far, and the zeppelin would have the advantage of being in keeping with the aviation theme.

I was thinking about Venice but we never see any of the characters order a drink there unlike the other places I mentioned.

Crack that whip

I got to glimpse this place as it was under construction last year, while I was in Orlando for an annual gaming convention my wife and I attend each year; next week I'll finally get to actually visit it as it's open. I'm looking forward to it!