Williams' score

Sankara

The score of "Raiders" is perfekt! The Truck-Chase, the Ark-Theme... just great! 10 /10

The score of "Temple" is amazing! The Mine Car Chase, Slave children's crusade, Short Round's Theme... just great! 10 / 10

The score of "Crusade" is brilliant! Belly of the steel beast, Indy's very first adventure... just great 10 / 10

The score of "Skull" is some kind of... nothing. Okay, I like the "Skull"-Theme. It's okay but nothing great. The rest of the soundtrack is very lame and boring. Like the movie itself. 0,5 / 10

Last edited:

Darth Vile

Sankara said:
The score of "Raiders" is perfekt! The Truck-Chase, the Ark-Theme... just great! 10 /10

The score of "Temple" is amazing! The Mine Car Chase, Slave children's crusade, Short Round's Theme... just great! 10 / 10

The score of "Crusade" is brilliant! Belly of the steel beast, Indy's very first adventure... just great 10 / 10

The score of "Skull" is some kind of... nothing. Okay, I like the "Skull"-Theme. It's okay but nothing great. The rest of the soundtrack is very lame and boring. Like the movie itself. 0,5 / 10

That's your problem right there Sankara... When the three Indy movies clearly comprise your ceiling of excellence, there is only one way you can go... and that's down. Personally speaking, I think that's a very limiting and blinkered outlook to have. You see, my view is this... I believe the best is yet to come. Clearly, life for you peaked circa 20 years ago.

Sankara

@Darth Vile
No. There is not only the way down. You can stay on the same level. In my opinion the last great John Williams Soundtrack was the "Episode 1" Soundtrack.

No Ticket

Darth Vile said:
That's your problem right there Sankara... When the three Indy movies clearly comprise your ceiling of excellence, there is only one way you can go... and that's down. Personally speaking, I think that's a very limiting and blinkered outlook to have. You see, my view is this... I believe the best is yet to come. Clearly, life for you peaked circa 20 years ago.

Personally, this is just an opinion, I think many of the tracks and themes in the older flicks are more interesting and pleasant (and catchy) in the first place so I agree with him that the older trilogy has a better soundtrack.

I feel Williams overall isn't as good as he used to be. But I mean, some of the Harry Potter music has been pretty good (Something wicked this way comes - I believe he wrote that)... and I mean, 10 years ago he wrote Duel of the Fates. But the last few SW movies weren't great on fresh themes either. But I think they fared slightly better than KOTCS did unfortunately.

Darth Vile

:gun:
No Ticket said:
Personally, this is just an opinion, I think many of the tracks and themes in the older flicks are more interesting and pleasant (and catchy) in the first place so I agree with him that the older trilogy has a better soundtrack.

I feel Williams overall isn't as good as he used to be. But I mean, some of the Harry Potter music has been pretty good (Something wicked this way comes - I believe he wrote that)... and I mean, 10 years ago he wrote Duel of the Fates. But the last few SW movies weren't great on fresh themes either. But I think they fared slightly better than KOTCS did unfortunately.

I thought 'Call of the Crystal', 'The Jungle Chase' and 'Ants' were some of the best action cues Williams has done since Raiders. Whilst 'The Adventures of Mutt', 'Irena's Theme', and 'The Spell of the Skull' are up there with his earlier work (as far as thematic pieces are concerned).

When you say, "Williams isn't as good as he used to be". I'm not sure what you are referring to. Do you mean Williams of the 1970's (Jaws, Star Wars, Superman) or Williams of the 1990's (JFK, Schindlers List, Jurassic Park)? Either way, I think he's produced some great pieces over the years and is fairly consistent quality wise.

Williams did compose that piece for Harry Potter you mention... and whilst I thought the OST for Episode II: AOTC was a little pedestrian, the OST's for TPM and ROTS are very intelligent, mature and enjoyable (if you like Williams style that is)... Although saying that, as much as I like the score for TPM, I actually thought it hurt the movie (but that's a different debate).

StoneTriple

I'm with DV on this one. Call Of The Crystal is one the best Indiana Jones pieces since Raiders. I also love Irina's Theme, as well as the darkness of Orellana's Cradle. The Kingdom score is by far the one of the four where I don't skip nearly as many pieces as I do on the others.

Like many of us on here, I've been listening to Williams? Indiana Jones work since the beginning. I've always been a huge fan of his work - in many films. In fact, the very first album I ever bought with my own money was the soundtrack to Jaws. Like I said, I've been a fan for a very long time.

I've had nearly everything Indiana Jones-related on my iPod for quite some time. A couple of months ago, I made a 'best-of' play list. I also put the list on a CD for my car and my work computer. Here's a screen grab. You can get an idea of how I feel about the pieces I included. This is my work machine. It's in line with what I play on my work commute as well. I'm listening to it as we speak.

iTunesgrab.jpg

Slightly off-topic; If you haven?t heard it, I highly recommend Williams? score for the film Memoirs of a Geisha. Some of his finest work ? and ? it includes the artistry of Itzhak Perlman and Yo-Yo Ma. Awesome music.

memoirsofageisha.jpg

Darth Vile

StoneTriple,

I like your play list. :D

The KOTCS OST is certainly on my most frequently played at the moment (but I expect that to change over time).

Also, agree about 'Memoirs of a Geisha'. It's a great score.

Sankara

Yes, I'm a loooong time John Williams-Fan. I've got most of his soundtracks. I love his music. One of my favourites is "The Cowboys" (it's a late John Wayne-Movie)

I'm still very sad that his last soundtracks are so boring and lame. And I'm still very sad that the "Skull"-Soundtrack is nothing great...

My playlist is very simliar to the stonetriple playlist - except for the KOTCS-Files...

Indy's Fist

Many themes were reused in KOTKS from the first three Indy films. There were also many other of William's themes throughout. My personal favorite is the Crystal Skull music wich is very similar to the Frank Langella Dracula theme from 1979, another great musical masterpiece by Mr. Williams! All in all I'd say KOTCS is a better than average. Like many others here I was a bit disappointed in the new score. But for those who are overly critical of William's KOTCS keep in mind he has been scoring films & TV for 40 or so years, so cut the guy a little slack.

IndyFan89

The Crystal Skull theme gets stuck in my head all the time, so does "Ants!". Jungle Chase will never come close to Desert Chase, Belly of the Steel Beast, or Slave Children's Crusade which are my favorite tracks on all three soundtracks and the most comparable with Jungle Chase.

AtomicAge

This score reminded me a great deal of Williams' adventure scores of the 70s. Stuff like The Eiger Sanction, Black Sunday, The Towering Inferno, The Fury. I was even reminded of some of his television work with Irwin Allen.

Doug

Major West

The score didn't jump out at me when I saw the film at the cinema, but since the repeat viewings on Blu-ray I can tell it's very good.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
So, from the Onion A.V. Club, here's an interesting observation that I wonder if anyone with a better ear for this sort of thing has any perspective on.

Whether it?s wringing some enjoyment out of Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull simply because you realize the skull?s theme is basically a backward version of the Ark Of The Covenant?s theme in Raiders...

I can sort of see how that might be the case, but does anyone have anything to add?

Funny...I just listened to this:

Sean Micallef and Guy Noble on the music of John Williams

This weekend at the Sydney Opera House the great music of film composer John Williams will come alive with Sean Micallef presenting the music and Guy Noble conducting the wonderful Sydney Symphony Orchestra

Before Friday night and Saturday afternoon, we were very lucky to have Sean and Guy drop by to have some fun and discuss all the great scores from Indiana Jones to Schlinder's List. James also was very open to critique of the program by Sean, pointed out some of the similarities of themes of Star Wars and Superman, and Guy Noble revealed a great talent for impressions.

They mention order of notes...going so far as to call him a one trick pony, (in jest I'm sure). About eight minutes in...

Maybe you could help? Those links to the right of the article include "Share" at the bottom, is there a selection to embed the recording to a message board? Like here for instance?