LUCASFILMS CANCLE INDY 4!!!!! READ!!! A Hypothetical situation

00Kevin

Indyfan
Okay, not really, I just wanted to show what the worst situation was

the thread:

What would you, and all of us do, if Indy 4 is not made.........now of corse, indy 4 will be made, If it doesn't, and it's my fault...then let me explode or something ;)

anyways. what would you do if indy 4 is cancled?

it is that? is all interest in Indiana Jones gone forever? will you press on with hope? with you protest? will you try to work your way into Lucasstuff and get it going yourself?

whaddaya do?

westford

I'd go back to my imagination and be quite happy thanks...

Some of the stuff people have come up with on this board is good, well worthy of an Indy adventure, but chances are the fourth film won't turn out as any of us have suggested. That's why the imagination is a good thing - we can think of Indy back in the 30's or 40's or whenever we want. He doesn't have to age, he doesn't have to die, he doesn't have to have kids, and he doesn't have to meet up with his old girlfriends. That's one reason why the 4th film is being greeted with trepidation by some - it's going to force some kind of conclusion, one which some may not like...

nOOb

...unless its a prequel. i think they could easily make ford up to look thirty again.

00Kevin

Indyfan
title change? BOOOOOOOOOO!

bahh! bloody Title change, now there is no way to scare people and show such a situation :(

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Renderking Fisk said:
I would love to find out they cancled the movie just so I can drive over to Kev's house and watch his head explode.

Good point. I'm sure that that is one effect that would be better than in that version of Raiders that those Florida kids did.

Randy_Flagg

Life would have no purpose anymore. I would probably perform some kind of ritual suicide.

Oh, sorry, wait a second... we're not a bunch of crazy SW fans talking about the cancellation of Episode 3. I don't think I'd do anything in particular if they cancelled Indy 4 other than, perhaps, come to this board to watch people overreact.

FordFan

I'd either start World War III or raise hell. I can't make up my mind on which, but one of the two. Maybe take out the town from a bell tower.

Venture

I'd be pretty disappointed at first, but I'm content to let Indy sally forth in my imagination.

nOOb said:
...unless its a prequel. i think they could easily make ford up to look thirty again.

Hey, it worked (somewhat) for Anthony Hopkins in Red Dragon.

bob

I would be pretty annoyed, and probably moan in the raven for a few weeks before vanishing forever (from the raven not from life at large)

But I think that my inner critic would be quite satisifed with Indy IV not happening as long as i could mull over the lost story details etc because Indy IV really does pose so many problems and really is not nessecarry

Joe Brody

indy IV

bob,

Respectfully, one man's problem is another man's challenge. [O.K., please excuse me for sounding like a cheesy motivational speaker].

I'm not totally certain what you mean by Indy IV not being necessary (perhaps, LC's riding into the sunset ending?), but I think there's tons of stories to be told. The '50's is when the nuclear arms race heated up and the jet age really began. Due to the war, the world was became a smaller place (random example, on this day in 1956, Rear Admiral G.J. Dufek became the first person to land an airplane at the South Pole). The old school live-by-your-wits IJ character (with all the time we've spent with him in the '30's) is the perfect way to show just how much the world changed as a result of the war (and the fact that he's that much older fits into that story). I hope that some of new technologies (like early commercial jet travel) are incorporated into the story.

As for problems, I don't know what you mean there either. HF's age? An older hero makes for some of the best stories. Have you ever watched 'Rio Bravo'?

intergamer

HUGE SPOILERS!!!

Spoiler Alert!!! Highlight to read: <font color=#D3B07D>Guess what! I got some great new information!! And its very meaningfull too!!! Here it is: Indiana Jones Four is set in the 50s!!! I heard this from a very reliable source!!! And then I ran this information through a complex mathematical algorithm, which produced a great spoiler result about the plot!! Don't read on if you are afraid of spoilers!!! Indy 4 is not a PREQUEL!!! I repeat, Indy 4 is NOT a PREQUEL!!!</font>

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Re: indy IV

Joe Brody said:
An older hero makes for some of the best stories. Have you ever watched 'Rio Bravo'?

Sean...make that Joe...you are a very welcome addition to the Raven in my mind.

However, I must agree with bob, at least in the regard that Indy IV may not be the best idea. I agree with you (as does bob, actually) that there are at least a handful of wonderful fourth Jones films that they could make (and also that the age of the character can add a lot), but I am afraid that I must believe that Indy IV will not be the sort of film I want it to be, which is a character-driven story based on Indy's decline in the years after his reconciliation with Dad, Marcus's death, World War II, and the beginning of the Cold War and the Nuclear Age.

And as for it not being necessary, that is true also, I think. Last Crusade worked as an ending, and it is certainly possible that Indy IV will somehow not work as a conclusion to the series, which, to be honest, is above average in it's genre.

bob

I think Attilia put it pretty well but my position is that yes there are great stories that can be told but can they really challange the trilogy?

I fear that Indy IV will just be a pale rehash which for reasons largely beyond big threes control will simply not measure up, and they will remake raiders for the third time without the bravery they had in challanging the formula in ToD and LC and really what will Indiana Jones IV be in the story?

That is to underestimate the role that nostalgia plays for most of us, i would say that the vast majority love Indy so much because it was part of our childhood and for me at least the trilogy is sacroscant, and let us say that they did make a good Indy IV which no doubt they will. No one will like it as much as the trilogy after an initial euphoria of raving about it because people feel they need to, what film can compete with memory and this is not just for this small groups of Indy fans but for much of the movie going public.

The trilogy was effectively ended in both spectacle and character in LC.

A new Indy film is only worth making in my opinion if there is something new to be done, and importantly something that will give something new and worthwhile to the series.

I am not saying that it shouldnt be made but that in order to make a worthwhile fourth installement they should not try to take on the trilogy and give the audiences something new....

Joe Brody

Re: Re: indy IV

Attila the Professor said:
. . . .but I am afraid that I must believe that Indy IV will not be the sort of film I want it to be, which is a character-driven story based on Indy's decline in the years after his reconciliation with Dad, Marcus's death, World War II, and the beginning of the Cold War and the Nuclear Age.

My hopes stated better that I could ever express ? but (joking aside) perhaps it?s asking too much for something ?character-driven? with HF in the lead.

Agreed. Odds are we?re in for a pale copy of RotLA ? given the negative slope of countless sequels and careers of innumerable filmmakers. I like that Lucas/Spielberg/Ford could all use a boost (yes, even Spielberg, who?s recent work is pretty soulless) about now ? and IJ is what they do best. I?d argue that it?s their (not the fan?s) nostalgia that?s key here: I?m can't wait to see what Lucas/Spielberg pull from their memories of the ?50?s, and I think their (supposedly) fond memories of making the earlier movies will spur them on. Given the success of the Matrix franchise (including Reloaded?s ?R? rating) and kids getting Hogwart?s Headaches from too much reading, I?d also argue that the creators won?t feel compelled to compromise IJ IV to guaranty a younger audience and maximum return. Today?s audience is deeper and more demanding (Spielberg?s recent stuff is a good acknowledgement of this) than in 1989.

For me, there?s no ?trilogy?. Nothing sacred would be violated by another installment, even with LC?s clean and clear ending. Sure LC worked and was effective as an ending, but did it succeed? - - coming as it did out of a flawed finale and a larger story grounded in the past? If there is going to be an end to the HF IJ era, then I?d argue that it will acknowledge change and the future (admittedly dangerous ground this). The only true challenge to the first three movies would be a transition to another character (passing the Fedora) -- and I don?t expect (or want) it to happen in IV, or ever.

There are great stories yet to be told. I?ll take a solid fourth and final installment ? even if it were to end with a cliffhanger and loose ends (which would be fitting after a fashion), rather than leave well enough at just three.

Randy_Flagg

I guess I stand alone with my hopes for Indy4.

The previous three films had a level of innocense to them. Their focus was purely on stringing together a bunch of great cliffhanger sequences, and keeping us on the edge of our seats. They never strived to be deep, nor did they try to be "adult." And yet, their simplicity appealed to both adults and children. They never needed to be dark or profound or complex in any way.

Some people are saying that today's movie audiences demand more. I disagree. Look at the latest Star Wars movies compared to the original three. The first three told a very simple story of heros vs. villains, and yet we loved them (and many of us continue to love them to this day.) The newer ones attempt to get more involved, and while some die-hard fans love to analyze all the ins and outs of it, most of us have better things to do and just leave the theaters feeling a bit lost and also a bit disappointed because the simple fun of the original trilogy is gone.

I also don't think Indy4 should have an R rating. What benefit would that have? So we can watch him bleed more? So we can see people getting mangled in full graphic detail? Or maybe so he can swear incessantly? Or perhaps those who want an R rating are hoping for a few quick glimpses of nudity? All of these things, to me, would ruin the innocent appeal of the series. I first saw ROTLA in the theaters when I was about six years old. It was one of those great movies my parents could take me to see and we could actually ALL enjoy it. Such movies are increasingly rare these days. And I can still enjoy ROTLA today even without graphic violence, swearing and nudity. There are other movies I can watch if I want to see those things.

So my hope for Indy4 is that it remains true to the other three movies. I don't want it dark (and no, I don't consider TOD dark... far too much comedy to be truly dark), and I don't want it to have an R rating. Let's let a new generation of kids enjoy it the same way many of us enjoyed Raiders when we were children. And if it's done as well as the others were done, we'll all enjoy it just as much, even if it gets a PG rating.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
What I find rather entertaining is how much more profound the regular Hollywood product was in the old days compared to how it is today, and yet people feel that you get "deeper" material under an "R" rating. (Well, there is some truth to that...Unforgiven and Pulp Fiction, for example, both had "R" ratings.)

Joe Brody

Can you really compare old Hollywood and the studio system against today's corporate Hollywood? A lot more pictures got churned out back then -- and the law of averages says that if you throw enough [stuff] against the barn wall, some of it is going to stick.

Good pictures are still being made. The last two pictures I saw in the theatres was 'Lost and Translation' and 'Mystic River'. I walked out of the theatre on both occassions a pretty satisfed customer. Now I admit that for every 'Master and Commander' made today, there is a 'Hulk', 'Charlies Angel's Full Throttle' and 'Tomb Raider II'(at least), but is that pure guesswork 1:3 ratio any worse than the sucess/failure ratio from back in the day? I don't know but my guess is that the success to failure ratio in the quality department is pretty constant through time (except for the late '60's and early '70's which pretty much sucked all around, with exceptions).

[I hope I'm not being put in the 'R' rating camp based on the passing reference in my above post, because that's not what I was saying. I pointed to the Matrix due to it's success because it has an involved story (heh, Chaos Theory was a major element of the sequel's plot) and it had an 'R' rating.]