The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones

mfisher

I collected these as a kid... dad took me and my brother to the comic book store in Texas every month and we each got to pick up a comic or two... I always got the latest Indy.. and my brother picked up the GI Joe series.. dad always taught us to take care of our books so I actually have every issue of this series still in mint condition.. and yes.. they are far fetched.. but.. they sure were a hell of a lot of fun back then.. so I still like to thumb through them from time to time.. just for the good memories..

Rivers

I also picked up all 34 issues while I was a kid. Some of the stories are actually very entertaining. I have good memories about that series and I am confident the new series from Dark Horse will continue to tell quality Indy tales.

Wu_Han

Marvel omnibus

Hi all,

In the past year or so I've been sort of catching up on Indy's "expanded universe" to borrow a SW term. The YIJ Chronicles came out on DVD and I'm watching many of them for the first time ever. I've also been getting the various novels. But while I was reading, I remembered the "Further Adventures" comic book series by Marvel. I saw some of the titles and decided I'd like to collect all 34.

Prices for a complete set on ebay are around $80-$90 shipped and picking up individual issues is more expensive then that. The condition is often described as fine. Meanwhile by the end of this year we will have all the Dark Horse comics compiled nicely into Omnibuses that go for $20 and down. Is there any chance of us seeing the Marvel comics get the same treatment?

Indy fan 235

I don't think Dark Horse has announced yet if they are going to do the Marvel books in an omnibus yet, but I really hope so.

I'd shop around on ebay, I've seen complete sets of the Marvel run go for much lower than you listed.

Also, if you enjoy the Indy comics, check out Star Wars Tales #19. It has a story where Indiana Jones discovers the Millenium Falcon. It's a pretty cool story.

phantom train

DH has mentioned in various press releases that they do plan on releasing the IJ Marvel comics in the Omnibus format, but no dates have been set - I'm guessing because it's too early - they may wait until the 2nd Omnibus is out before they set the release date for the 3rd. Also, the Marvel issues may be in the 4th Omnibus if DH releases the "Young Indiana Jones" chronicles one beforehand.

The bottom-line is that I wouldn't expect the IJ Marvel comics Omnibus until much later in 2008.

LaoCheRules!

The Marvel series might be 3 Omnibusses just by itsself.

And I believe that they are doing the Young Indy Omnibus before the Marvel ones.

I've owned the whole set so I don't go looking, but still 80-90 isn't that expensive really, that's just over $2 for each. Had I not bought them all I wouldn't have a problem spending that much.

Perhilion

Why would Dark Horse do an omnibus with Marvel comics? Isn't that sort of like Pepsi including a free Coca Cola with every bottle?

yodazone

Perhilion said:
Why would Dark Horse do an omnibus with Marvel comics? Isn't that sort of like Pepsi including a free Coca Cola with every bottle?

Well, the Marvel/Indy comics have been out of print since the '80s and Dark Horse holds the rights to release them in trades. Which is good because the old artwork will now be reprinted on newer/higher quality paper and not the old newspaper page format which age and change color over time in comics. The new remastered collection should look awesome in today's glossy printing paper. It's a win win for Indy fans.

(y) (y) (y)

Indy fan 235

I'm still having trouble finding the first Omnibus. I checked my comic shop again this week and they still don't have it. I also checked a Borders book store and they don't have it as well.

I have some holes in my Indy comic collection I need to fill. I'm going to get both the Omnibus and the original issues.

phantom train

Quote:

"Well, the Marvel/Indy comics have been out of print since the '80s and Dark Horse holds the rights to release them in trades. Which is good because the old artwork will now be reprinted on newer/higher quality paper and not the old newspaper page format which age and change color over time in comics. The new remastered collection should look awesome in today's glossy printing paper. It's a win win for Indy fans."

Absolutely - the new Marvel reprints will look great, if done correctly. They are also the oldest Indy comics out there, so it will have been a long time since people have seen these (longer than the DH Indy comics).

I have a couple of concerns about the Marvel Omnibus collection(s), however:

* First of all, I hope they include all of the great covers, since the DH Omnibus format has historically only included 2-5 of the covers, not all of them.

* Secondly, I hope that this actually does get released. As has been discussed on this forum in previous threads, it's unlikely that this Mavel Omnibus will come out before the end of calendar year 2008. So, hopefully there will still be enough interest at that time to release this, since it will be coming out long after Indy 4 hits theatres.

yodazone

I wonder if Dark Horse is going to use the "Omnibus format" or the oversized Trade Collection format for the Indiana Jones/Marvel run.

A few years ago, Dark Horse collected the entire Star Wars Marvel Comics run (107 issues plus the adaptaions) into these great big 7 volume oversized Trades with 20 issues per volume. Those Trades included all the covers and were remastered/printed on better paper. That would be the best way for the Indy Marvel run to go.

http://www.darkhorse.com/search/search.php?frompage=userinput&sstring=star+wars+a+long+time+ago

The newer "Omnibus" books are smaller in size causing shrinkage to the artwork pages!

Hopefully Dark Horse will go for the oversized trade format for the Marvel Comics run instead of the smaller/manga sized omnibus books.

(y) (y) (y)

indyclone25

the further adventures of indiana jones

many of (if not all ) may have these comic books made by marvel comics --- i'm going to show the first two issues which i think , may the best two books in the entire series ---isuues 1-2 so if you haven't seen these enjoy and if you have m well i hope this brings back fond memories
http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e37/indyclone25/

Last edited by a moderator:

phantom train

Great thread! Thanks for posting these pages. I remember reading these first two issues when they first came out back in the early
'80's. The John Byrne script and artwork were excellent - I would have to say these are the best two issues of the Marvel series, and may be the best two Indiana Jones comics ever.

Here's hoping Dark Horse re-colors and reprints this whole series at some point soon! Though the rest of the issues weren't quite as good as the first two Byrne issues, on a whole the series was very good and I enjoyed it more than any of the Dark Horse IJ comics
mini-series.

Last edited:

Johnny Jones

Thanks a million, dude! I was too young at the time to get these when they came out. I hope they do release them again, but in the meantime, you're a lifesaver!

phantom train

Thanks again for posting the second issue! Great story and art - reading these two issues really brought back memories. I haven't read these in 25+ years, and they really hold up well.