Justice League

00Kevin

Indyfan
Here we're touching a little on the business side of the film industry, The Avengers is bringing in such a major haul that DC should be taking notice. surely a crossover film featuring the 2 most famous superheroes would be even bigger! Personally I would have been more excited about a Justice League film than an avengers film...I think our generation had more exposure to JL growing up as cartoon network ran the old JL cartoons.

There had been plans for a JL film a few years back but that didn't pan out and I'm not so sure that exsting actors from the batman and superman films would have been used. Christopher Nolan (director of batman and producer of superman) along with a few sources within DC have said that they wished to keep those entities seperate, instead wishing to focus on making each franchaise it's own experience and not feel like it's building to something else.

But look at the Avengers, the biggest opening weekend ever. Now I still think that The Avenger will have a big drop off in the coming weeks and batman will prove to have more longevity at the box office and when all is said and done, the highest grossing film of the summer will be TDKR...but what if it isn't? DC characters had been the supreme film superheroes for two decades because there was no competition... if their most successful franchaise can't beat The Avengers, a coalition of characters no one gave very much thought to five years ago, it maybe a sign that things need to change.

Do you think a Justice League film will ever come to fruitation? How many years are we from it?

awesome idea, would really love that, BUT! and big but you gotta think they would have to push a couple of their individual series a bit more before doing that, i mean, Superman returns was crap, GL was "acceptable", i just dont think the basis have being laid down to do a group movie.

Regards,

LJ

as much as i love DC, I just dont think it can or will be done...we're stuck with a Superman/Batman only world.

And I dont want the Marvel VS DC fight to spill into the movies...I could use a loooong break from the superhero film genre

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
The idea's been kicked around a long time, from the 2002 Bataman vs. Superman script "Arkham" by Andrew Kevin Walker and Akiva Goldsman (download it here) to the 2007 Kieran and Michele Mulroney-scripted Justice League film that almost started production. The script's out there, just can't find it, here's an amusing breakdown.

Maybe before the world ends...
batman-versus-superman-in-i-am-legend.jpg

indyclone25

i think "the dark knight rises" has a very different feel to it as seen in the trailers, from the other films , i don't know whether it was before they darken some of the scenes or what but the daylight shot's just seemed different then the daylight shot in "the dark knight." will "the dark knight rises" have a bigger opening, i don't think so. people that saw the other marvel movies and knew that "the avengers" was coming really wanted to see this. where people who saw the other batman movies have had years to wait between each film , but we will have to wait and see .

Le Saboteur

Moedred said:
Aquaman sux uh hur dur!

Man, that would one hell of movie if Aquaman could control Cthulhu.

To be fair though, Aqualad is pretty swell in the first season of Young Justice. I also hear that Aquaman's redo in DC's The New 52 is, well, awesome.

I want to meet the marketing genius who decided that putting four episodes on each disc was appropriate. The entire first season should have been on three discs tops, not five. Money, money, money! Money!

With Latino Review allegedly scooping the final casting on Warner Bros' Justice League movie, I can't help but notice the marketing department's heavy hand in the (possible) decision.

To wit, Superman, The Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern (five gets you ten that it's John Stewart), & The Flash get the nod. No Martian Manhunter, Hawkman, or Aquaman. Or any of the dozens of other heroes who have suited up for the League over the years.

2773196-justice_league.jpg

Put Captain Marvel in it. Really screw with the casual fan's head.

featofstrength said:
And I dont want the Marvel VS DC fight to spill into the movies...

I am quite surprised that Warner Bros. has taken this long to get anything off the ground. They're getting steamrolled @ the Box Office by Disney-Marvel. They're represented fairly well in the home entertainment industry, but somebody really dropped the ball in the film production department.

Doubt anybody gets a break from the genre for a lo-ong while either. Nerds have a lot of money to spend these days.

jsarino

That's where Marvel still has DC beat. They manage to organically have the various characters in their properties tie into The Avengers, and still work well on their own. Waiting to do a sequel to Superman for several years kills momentum for that character. That goes the same with Batman, if Affleck pulls it off.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Shooting wrapped in October, but according to rumors reshoots have "remade" the film twice, and they're not done.

At WB right now:

curmudgeon

Moedred said:
Shooting wrapped in October, but according to rumors reshoots have "remade" the film twice, and they're not done.

Denial, by producer Charles Roven:

?The reality is we are in the midst of trying to schedule the only additional photography that we?ve been trying to schedule. We haven?t done any additional photography up to this point?Since we?ve wrapped, there?s been no additional photography. Since we?ve wrapped, what there was was motion capture, or what we call facial capture, so we did one round of facial capture, and another mini-round of facial capture. You use facial capture if you have a CG character, you do facial capture in order to give a real performance into that CG character. An example of it would be Avatar.?

I'm inclined to believe him. If there were extensive reshoots happening over the last year, we would have known about it while it was going on and not after the fact. They can't keep that kind of crap secret, especially not if its as extensive as the rumor claimed.

I mean after all the personal life stuff Ben Affleck's been through over the last year he couldn't walk to his car without getting snapped by paparazzi, but he's supposed to have been secretly filming extensive reshoots to one of his highest profile movies without anyone knowing until now? Really?

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Along with the 2007 script by Michele and Kiernan Mulroney which almost happened if not for the writers strike, now there's a 2011 script floating around by Will Beall. A summary:
Though Steppenwolf is the lead villain in this year’s “Justice League,” Beall’s draft would have made his boss, Darkseid, the master of evil. That opening shark-tank battle ends with Desaad, one of Darkseid’s minions, killing Killer Croc and stealing Kryptonite that Luthor has just tried to buy from KGBeast, aka Anatoli Knyazev. At one point, Croc bites a shark.
While 2016’s “Batman v Superman” would pit the heroes against each other, the 2011 script imagined them as allies who know each others’ identities and have coffee at Metropolis Diner, where they chat about other DC superheroes like Diana (Wonder Woman), Green Lantern, Green Arrow and Aquaman. They soon travel to Central City to recruit Barry Allen, aka The Flash.
Amanda Waller and King Faraday run the Department of Metahuman Affairs and seize Killer Croc’s body. We also meet Abel Terrant (Tattooed Man), Copperhead, Barbara Minerva (Cheetah) and Solomon Grundy. Waller and Croc eventually met in 2016’s “Suicide Squad.”
In deep space, Green Lantern John Stewart and Thanagarian Katar Hol, aka Hawkman, engage in a cool action sequence inside a space-station nightclub as they try to stop Kanjar Ro from helping Dessad weaponize the Kryptonite. The first act ends with Superman kidnapped by Steppenwolf and the Parademons and taken back to Apokolips.
By the start of the second act, Batman goes to Themyscira to recruit Diana, with whom he has a romantic history.
Barry Allen, Green Lantern John Stewart and Diana have a meeting with Wayne inside the Batcave, which has several generations of Batmobiles and Batsuits, as well as Mr. Freeze’s Cyro-Gun, the Scarecrow’s Mask, and The Penguin’s Umbrella.
John Stewart returns to OA (Green Lantern headquarters) and finds the dead bodies of his fellow Lanterns: Katma Tui, Kilowag, Guy Gardner, Salakk, and Tomar-Re. The entire Lantern Corps has been massacred by Darkseid.
With the Lantern Corps out of the way, Darkseid invades earth at the midpoint of the script — with help from a brainwashed Superman. As he does in Frank Miller’s “The Dark Knight Returns” and “Batman v Superman,” Wayne dons special armor to fight the Man of Steel. Diana manages to release Superman from Dessad’s mind control and Superman rejoins the League in the fight against Darkseid.
Superman goes through a Boom Tube and travels eleven years into the future to find that Darkseid has wiped out 80 percent of the Earth’s population. Diana leads the last of the human resistance with an aged and grey-haired Bruce Wayne as her second-in-command. They have a son named Clark Wayne, and one surprising member of the resistance is Lex Luthor.
The Future Batman leads a dozen fighters known as Batman’s Berzerkers. They include Slade Wilson (Deathstroke) George Harkness (Captain Boomerang), Helena Bertinelli (Huntress) and Barbera Minerva (Cheetah). Comics fans might also recognize this team as the members of Suicide Squad — though not exactly the Suicide Squad of last year’s film. The last of the resistance is headquartered inside Superman’s Fortress of Solitude.
Future Lex Luthor figures out a way to send Barry Allen back eleven years in time, partly using Darkseid’s Boom Tube. Future Flash goes back in time to before Darkseid’s invasion, and dies in younger self’s arms — after warning of the terrible future.
Diana, Bruce, Barry and Green Lantern travel to Apokolips and rescue Superman before Desaad can take over his mind, and the reunited Justice League battle Darkseid and his forces on Apokolips to stop the invasion of Earth. The entire Lantern Corps, along with the Amazons from Themyscira, join in the battle.
The script ends with Mercy Graves planning a presidential campaign for Lex Luthor and Luthor receiving a message from Future Luthor telling him of Superman’s secret identity: Clark Kent.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Losing Hans Zimmer from this project was the biggest loss. (Though if it had to be this or Blade Runner 2 he chose well.) What came before was sometimes moving in ways the Marvel universe isn't, but there's no weight to these proceedings. Nods to Danny Elfman and John Williams in the same feature should have been enthralling, but everyone here is just checking the boxes. Often it just looks like the cast is posing in front of green screens. Produce the deleted scenes WB, for a thorough postmortem.

But now that this is out of the way... they can split up and explore the DCEU. The actors are fine, the stories just need work. There must be something in this mountain of scripts.