View Single Post
Old 04-26-2015, 06:13 PM   #118
punisher5150
IndyFan

Part 52 (cont)

Indiana was about to make an irrelevant statement in agreement when something caught his attention. He suddenly cocked his head and listened. At he same time, he looked ahead with trepidation.

Reuben looked too, noticing Indiana’s sudden attention on the river ahead.

“What is it?” he asked. Suddenly he no longer sounded tired, and he looked agitated.

Indiana shrugged. “I don’t know,” he murmured. “There…there’s something.”

From the corner of his eye he saw Reuben stiffen and reach for the gun on his belt. But Reuben’s actions were useless, because in that moment he heard it, and understood that the danger ahead could not be handled with a gun.

Through the sounds of the jungle as it gradually awakened with the sunlight and the monotonous chug of the diesel engine came a dull, rumbling thunder; still very far away, but already clear enough to allow the two men to realize what was there: a waterfall or rapids.

Indiana frowned. “This must be one of the obstacles Ramos spoke of earlier,” he said.

“But there was nothing on the map,” Reuben said in a reproachful tone.

“I’ve already told you what I think of those charts,” Indiana replied.

Reuben looked a moment longer, focusing on the sounds ahead, then he shrugged. “It doesn’t matter anyway,” he said. “We can simply go ashore now. Whether we do it now or a couple of miles later. It makes no difference.”

They went back into the wheelhouse. Reuben quickly explained to Henley what they had discovered, and asked him to bring the ship closer to shore and look for a possible berth. Indiana excused himself and went below to wake Marian.
punisher5150 is offline   Reply With Quote